Jump to topic:

Properly Basic Belief?

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 6:58:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The objective moral requirement that we are to believe in the truth is a properly basic belief.

Is it really? I don't understand that. Can someone explain it to me?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 7:02:11 PM
At 9/20/2011 6:58:17 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
The objective moral requirement that we are to believe in the truth is a properly basic belief.

Nietzche pointed out that there is no inherent will in man to seek the truth, but instead to seek that which makes him more comfortable. We cannot take as a given that our intellectual pursuit OUGHT to aim for the truth.

However, I'd need a definition of properly basic to continue. Sounds like another term of common-sense presuppositions.

If it goes along the TAG route, calling it properly basic is like saying it is a requirement for thought. We cannot function without that belief in the same way a theist claims that without assuming God's existence on cannot account for perception or existence.

None of this makes it an "objective" moral requirement.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 7:48:35 PM
I don't fully agree with these properly basic beliefs, they are okay for day to day assumptions but everything can be challenged.... right?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 10:41:02 PM

See if Izbo can. lol
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 3:05:22 AM
At 9/20/2011 7:48:35 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I don't fully agree with these properly basic beliefs, they are okay for day to day assumptions but everything can be challenged.... right?

Everything can be challenged sounds like a properly basic belief.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 3:17:53 AM

What do you have in mind for everything? How practical is it to challenge everything?

Pretty much everyone lives their lives on assumptions and lies that they tell themselves and are prepared with justifications, more lies and assumptions. That's not some moral indictment, but just the way we are as human beings coping with reality. Those who think they are exempt from this are just lying to themselves even more. This is particularly true when we live in the land of subjectivity. Along with what Wnope said, we will always gravitate to that which makes us more comfortable and makes our ego grow.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 6:20:27 AM
At 9/20/2011 10:41:02 PM, Double_R wrote:

See if Izbo can. lol

Nope... it's properly basic so he has decided he does not have to.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 6:20:54 AM
At 9/21/2011 3:05:22 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Everything can be challenged sounds like a properly basic belief.

Yea... that cross my mind when I wrote it.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 6:21:44 AM
At 9/21/2011 3:17:53 AM, innomen wrote:

What do you have in mind for everything? How practical is it to challenge everything?

Pretty much everyone lives their lives on assumptions and lies that they tell themselves and are prepared with justifications, more lies and assumptions. That's not some moral indictment, but just the way we are as human beings coping with reality. Those who think they are exempt from this are just lying to themselves even more. This is particularly true when we live in the land of subjectivity. Along with what Wnope said, we will always gravitate to that which makes us more comfortable and makes our ego grow.

I dont mean challenge everything constantly, but every now and then on a purely academic basis.