Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Double Standards

FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 1:49:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
A lot of people bring up "double standards" when attacking their opponents. It seems like every side does it. There are several active threads right now mentioning double standards

My question is.....so what? What is it exactly that makes double standards such an inherently bad thing?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 2:12:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/5/2011 1:49:50 AM, FREEDO wrote:
A lot of people bring up "double standards" when attacking their opponents. It seems like every side does it. There are several active threads right now mentioning double standards

My question is.....so what? What is it exactly that makes double standards such an inherently bad thing?

Jesus preached against double standards in the NT.
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
Duh.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 2:27:33 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/5/2011 2:12:35 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 10/5/2011 1:49:50 AM, FREEDO wrote:
A lot of people bring up "double standards" when attacking their opponents. It seems like every side does it. There are several active threads right now mentioning double standards

My question is.....so what? What is it exactly that makes double standards such an inherently bad thing?

Jesus preached against double standards in the NT.
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
Duh.

That's not double standards, that's hypocrisy.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 2:42:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/5/2011 2:27:33 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 10/5/2011 2:12:35 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 10/5/2011 1:49:50 AM, FREEDO wrote:
A lot of people bring up "double standards" when attacking their opponents. It seems like every side does it. There are several active threads right now mentioning double standards

My question is.....so what? What is it exactly that makes double standards such an inherently bad thing?

Jesus preached against double standards in the NT.
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
Duh.

That's not double standards, that's hypocrisy.

I disagree.

"A double standard is the unjust application of different sets of principles for similar situations."

"Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have beliefs, opinions, virtues, ideals, thoughts, feelings, qualities, or standards that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie."
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 2:44:07 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Actually, I think you're right.
D'oh.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 1:56:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/5/2011 1:49:50 AM, FREEDO wrote:
A lot of people bring up "double standards" when attacking their opponents. It seems like every side does it. There are several active threads right now mentioning double standards

My question is.....so what? What is it exactly that makes double standards such an inherently bad thing?

It makes it not positive because you give one person the green light, and get on edge when someone else does it...
headphonegut
Posts: 4,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 2:15:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/5/2011 2:48:25 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Hypocrisy is a double-standard.
Double-standards are not hypocrisy.

I think that's a double standard:p
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 2:50:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/5/2011 2:15:06 PM, headphonegut wrote:
At 10/5/2011 2:48:25 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Hypocrisy is a double-standard.
Double-standards are not hypocrisy.

I think that's a double standard:p

lol
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 3:05:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
A double standard is hypocrisy. A rule that is treated as universal, then abandoned on selective cases both nullifies and upholds the rule. A contradiction of belief. People misuse the word double standard on standards that are not universal. If all men are created equal, then slavery is a double standard. Then the suppression of women is a double standard.

Hopefully we don't need to go into why hypocrisy is naturally wrong.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 3:50:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
A double standard implies that you are being inconsistent in your thinking. Logic demands consistency. To be inconsistent in your rhetoric reveals logical inconsistency in your argument.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it