Jump to topic:

Advanced Lucid Dreaming

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 2:22:03 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have spoken of my psychonautic exploration before and this is another thread involving such. I am extremely excited about a recent discovery I have made. Meditation while dreaming. I call this advanced lucid dreaming. The possibilities have proven to be astounding. Full-blown psychedelic experiences without the use of drugs and brought on much easier than when awake.

Seldom do individuals truly take a close look at what it means to be experiencing and to be conscious. When they do, it is call psychonautics. I can imagine that even less do people do this while in a dreaming state, since most people are usually not even aware in the normal sense and psychonautics requires and a higher state awareness.

If you are a well-tuned lucid dreamer, I highly suggest that you attempt this. Usually, when we lucid dream, our attention turns to taking control of our "surroundings", much like in real life, and we never even think about turning the attention inwards. It reminds me of Inception. "We need to go deeper".
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 2:54:30 AM
On those rare times I do lucid dream, I usually wake up soon afterwards. Otherwise, yeah, I just get caught up in my dream narrative and use my awareness to manipulate my surroundings.

No quite sure what you are suggesting though. Just sitting down and closing your eyes while in a dream?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 3:48:07 AM
At 10/7/2011 2:54:30 AM, Raisor wrote:
On those rare times I do lucid dream, I usually wake up soon afterwards. Otherwise, yeah, I just get caught up in my dream narrative and use my awareness to manipulate my surroundings.

No quite sure what you are suggesting though. Just sitting down and closing your eyes while in a dream?

Not necessarily. Just a shift of awareness.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 8:39:29 AM
Freedo you have so much success with lucid dreaming because that's what you spend a large amount of time thinking about, as far as I can tell. You're dreams are going to reflect what you do while awake; so if you spend lots of time meditating and contemplating lucid dreaming, then that's also what you're going to do while asleep. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes I will dream about smoking weed and get high while I'm asleep. Dreaming about being high is interesting to say the least :)
Rob
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 9:10:46 AM
i've heard of meditating while lucid dreaming but haven't had the chance to try it. some other interesting things to do while lucid dreaming:

look in a mirror at your aura
ask to speak to god
try to experience death/ life after death
Try to get out of your body (not your real body but your dream body)
Try to go to the edge of the universe
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 9:14:03 AM
At 10/7/2011 9:06:00 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
How do you lucid dream consistently? I haven't had a lucid dream in years.

Well Freedo is the expert, but I believe it's just a matter of consistently being conscious about it. If you truly want to lucid dream, then think about it as much as you can. Get in the habit of asking yourself whether you are dreaming or not, even when you know you're awake. Because one of these times, you will realize you are not awake while you are asking yourself that question. I personally enjoy my time of being unconscious, but perhaps I am taking it for granted. Can you really rest your mind if you are still using it? I've been told you can... my friend says he even tries lucid studying for exams and can simultaneously rest and study which I think is horse-isht.

I've noticed that when I am having a bad night that my dreams will be affected accordingly. For instance if I am sick, I will have stressful dreams. I was very sick about a year ago and went to sleep, only to dream of a war in the trenches between me and the germs that lasted all night long with bombs going off and all that jazz. When I woke up the enemy had finally been pushed back, and I wasn't so sick anymore.
Rob
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 12:50:07 PM
At 10/7/2011 8:39:29 AM, Lasagna wrote:
Freedo you have so much success with lucid dreaming because that's what you spend a large amount of time thinking about, as far as I can tell. You're dreams are going to reflect what you do while awake; so if you spend lots of time meditating and contemplating lucid dreaming, then that's also what you're going to do while asleep. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes I will dream about smoking weed and get high while I'm asleep. Dreaming about being high is interesting to say the least :)

I've had that happen too!
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 12:55:44 PM
At 10/7/2011 9:14:03 AM, Lasagna wrote:

Well Freedo is the expert, but I believe it's just a matter of consistently being conscious about it. If you truly want to lucid dream, then think about it as much as you can. Get in the habit of asking yourself whether you are dreaming or not, even when you know you're awake. Because one of these times, you will realize you are not awake while you are asking yourself that question. I personally enjoy my time of being unconscious, but perhaps I am taking it for granted. Can you really rest your mind if you are still using it? I've been told you can... my friend says he even tries lucid studying for exams and can simultaneously rest and study which I think is horse-isht.

I've noticed that when I am having a bad night that my dreams will be affected accordingly. For instance if I am sick, I will have stressful dreams. I was very sick about a year ago and went to sleep, only to dream of a war in the trenches between me and the germs that lasted all night long with bombs going off and all that jazz. When I woke up the enemy had finally been pushed back, and I wasn't so sick anymore.

It's a very good to point out the "asking yourself whether you are dreaming or not, even when you know you're awake". I have on occasion referred to my philosophy as being a lucid waker, implying that life while awake is something where we are going about unconscious in a similar way to when we are dreaming. Many people who do not lucid dream simply have a problem with recognizing the absurd in their dream. Once they realize the absurd, they become aware that they are dreaming. I have the same mentality when awake.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 12:58:24 PM
At 10/7/2011 9:10:46 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
i've heard of meditating while lucid dreaming but haven't had the chance to try it. some other interesting things to do while lucid dreaming:

look in a mirror at your aura
ask to speak to god
try to experience death/ life after death
Try to get out of your body (not your real body but your dream body)
Try to go to the edge of the universe

I've never looked in a mirror while dreaming as far as I can remember but my dreams are usually in third person form anyway.
I did try going to the end of the universe. There was no end, I kept going until I woke up.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 1:17:16 PM
This may or may not be the appropriate thread so forgive me if it's not, but I just wanted to share (as far as I remember) my only real experience with true lucidity:

I think it was a month or so ago, but I was dreaming about living under a totalitarian government at a medium level in status--and suddenly, I realized the "leader," was myself, and that's when I truly became self-aware of my dreaming. Except, instead of trying to change the dream itself, I decided to roll with the current setting it and, in dream-time, proceeded to lead a revolution against myself, and then ordered my own induction as the head of state, and had my other self executed. And that's when I woke up.

It was pretty interesting. I assume that that was what lucidity is like--however, I know most people tend to actively change the dream, whereas I was actively passive (if that makes any sense).
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 1:22:12 PM
To be honest, even though it is the primary reason that most people attempt to experience lucid dreaming, I've never really been big on attempting to manipulate or force my environment.

Lucid dreaming has always been about psychological study for me. You can learn a lot by swimming in your own head, and paying attention.

It's all about paying attention. It also helps to be scientific about things. It is really easy to get superstitious about things if you assume too much.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 1:36:18 PM
At 10/7/2011 1:17:16 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
This may or may not be the appropriate thread so forgive me if it's not, but I just wanted to share (as far as I remember) my only real experience with true lucidity:

I think it was a month or so ago, but I was dreaming about living under a totalitarian government at a medium level in status--and suddenly, I realized the "leader," was myself, and that's when I truly became self-aware of my dreaming. Except, instead of trying to change the dream itself, I decided to roll with the current setting it and, in dream-time, proceeded to lead a revolution against myself, and then ordered my own induction as the head of state, and had my other self executed. And that's when I woke up.

It was pretty interesting. I assume that that was what lucidity is like--however, I know most people tend to actively change the dream, whereas I was actively passive (if that makes any sense).

Haha, that's pretty cool.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 1:07:54 AM
At 10/7/2011 12:55:44 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 10/7/2011 9:14:03 AM, Lasagna wrote:

It's a very good to point out the "asking yourself whether you are dreaming or not, even when you know you're awake". I have on occasion referred to my philosophy as being a lucid waker, implying that life while awake is something where we are going about unconscious in a similar way to when we are dreaming. Many people who do not lucid dream simply have a problem with recognizing the absurd in their dream. Once they realize the absurd, they become aware that they are dreaming. I have the same mentality when awake.

Remember to ask yourself if you're dreaming anytime something seems odd...
Rob