Jump to topic:

Does Tom Exist?

Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 4:27:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So, I read Decarte's meditation and i got to the part where he starts saying he thinks therefore he exists, because in order for him to doubt, he must be a thinking being that exists to have these doubts. Then, I got to the part where he starts saying a God must exists because he knows he is imperfect from the very fact that he doubts, and doubt means he has a lack of understanding, and the person who must have given him this doubt, and make him aware of this doubt must be derived from a all perfect being who created his imperfect self.

I wanted to ask what if you are a person who is thinking of a imaginary person named Tom, and in your thoughts Tom is thinking about his own existence, does that mean Tom exists? Because in your Mind Tom is now a thinking being, and because you are thinking about a Tom who is thinking wouldn't you have necessarily given Tom a mind and validated his existence even in your own mind?

I say this because the meditation to me started off with Descarte doubting all that exists around him, since anything he perceives could be faulty or an illusion. This way of thinking made him at some point doubt his own existence, but he starts saying there must be a god in order for him to sort of relieve his doubts of his own existence to be real. So, if we are thinking of a being or doesn't exist, but our being is thinking because we are making him think does this nonexistent being exist? On that note, what if we are all "Tom" and some being out there is just thinking about us thinking, in that context does our assumption of we are thinking therefore we exist valid in that sense?

I must sound really off, and really confused at this point, but it was just a thought in my head.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 4:30:51 PM
Tom exists in the same way your internet browser exists.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2011 9:58:24 PM
At 10/10/2011 1:05:22 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 10/9/2011 7:08:13 PM, tvellalott wrote:
I certainly exist.

Wanna debate it?

Yes.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...