Jump to topic:

Death note

Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 9:40:26 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
If you received the death note, would you use it? Lets imagine I changed how the death note works. So, now, if you kill one innocent person, a hundred innocent people will be spared. One final thing, L will die immediately if you use the death note.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 10:55:07 AM
At 10/8/2011 9:40:26 AM, Jon1 wrote:
If you received the death note, would you use it? Lets imagine I changed how the death note works. So, now, if you kill one innocent person, a hundred innocent people will be spared. One final thing, L will die immediately if you use the death note.

A hundred innocent people will be spared from what?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 11:15:41 AM
I would use that note without even needing the save 100 incentive. I can picture the headlines "AIDS epidemic ravages al-Qaeda leadership."
Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 11:17:14 AM
At 10/8/2011 10:55:07 AM, socialpinko wrote:

A hundred innocent people will be spared from what?

Death, of course.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 11:40:00 AM
Note: in case people don't know, he's referring to an anime in which a student finds a notebook which has the power to kill anyone whose name in written in it, in the manner the writer chooses.

It's an enjoyable anime, but the characters are pretty one dimensional. The main character is just a two dimensional serial killer who never develops as the series does, and they kill off the best character half way through - which turns out to be a bad idea since the series drops in quality afterwards.

As per the question, I would probably answer yes. One innocent person dying is obviously less morally objectionable than one hundred people dying. However, there would be certain restrictions to this - the dilemma mirrors the doctor thought experiment where he has to choose between allowing multiple patients to die and killing an innocent patient to harvest his organs.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2011 5:25:16 PM

No just because I don't want to be come a reaper I want to move on.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 12:12:51 PM
Adhering to moral nihilism, yes. Kill anyone I want for free?
Awesome.

Adhering to social contract, no. Tis better for millions to die than for one to be killed to spare those millions who were going to die anyway.
I miss the old members.
RFH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 9:44:02 AM
It is unlikely that I would use the death note. If anyone has the authority to put someone to death it is the state, not the individual.

However, presented with a situation in which John Doe would kill a thousand people if I didn't use the death note to kill him first, I might consider it. This situation seems the moral equivalent of a sniper shooting someone who is about to blow up a building full of innocents. Then again, those sorts of decisions should also be left to agents of the state (e.g., SWAT or military snipers) when possible.

If John Doe wasn't actively attempting to murder the thousand people I wouldn't write his name in the death note. The consequentialist ethic is misguided. The end can never justify the mean.

I think the best course of action would be to destroy the death note. Short of that, turning the death note over to the government would be the next best option.
Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 11:07:46 AM
At 10/21/2011 9:44:02 AM, RFH wrote:
It is unlikely that I would use the death note. If anyone has the authority to put someone to death it is the state, not the individual.

However, presented with a situation in which John Doe would kill a thousand people if I didn't use the death note to kill him first, I might consider it. This situation seems the moral equivalent of a sniper shooting someone who is about to blow up a building full of innocents. Then again, those sorts of decisions should also be left to agents of the state (e.g., SWAT or military snipers) when possible.

If John Doe wasn't actively attempting to murder the thousand people I wouldn't write his name in the death note. The consequentialist ethic is misguided. The end can never justify the mean.

I think the best course of action would be to destroy the death note. Short of that, turning the death note over to the government would be the next best option.

O.O
RFH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 11:19:27 AM
At 10/21/2011 11:07:46 AM, Jon1 wrote:
At 10/21/2011 9:44:02 AM, RFH wrote:

O.O

Wide-eyed in agreement?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 11:36:20 AM
I would use it and become the new government. Cheap minarchy. Gonna have to kill some people anyway, may as well look like some kind of god doing it.

RFH, the State executing people is no different from you or I doing it except that the current state has a known history of robbery and hence ought to be in line if practicable.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 12:04:49 PM
Wide-eyed in agreement?

Wide eyed in 'you really want the government to have the ability to kill its citizens easily and quietly without the possibility of anyone finding out?'. I don't.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 12:20:17 PM

Spared from death? So they become immortal?
RFH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 12:32:02 PM
At 10/21/2011 11:36:20 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I would use it and become the new government. Cheap minarchy. Gonna have to kill some people anyway, may as well look like some kind of god doing it.

RFH, the State executing people is no different from you or I doing it except that the current state has a known history of robbery and hence ought to be in line if practicable.

There is certainly a difference. On the one hand, you have an individual executing people with no accountability. On the other, you have a government that is, at least in the United States, held accountable to the people. Granted, there are ways that someone within the government could take the death note and use it for their own purposes, but that would merely be another case of an individual executing people. In any event, I believe the best course of action would be to destroy it so that it couldn't fall in the wrong hands.

At 10/21/2011 12:04:49 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Wide-eyed in agreement?

Wide eyed in 'you really want the government to have the ability to kill its citizens easily and quietly without the possibility of anyone finding out?'. I don't.

I didn't say I wanted the government to have that ability. I said I would destroy it. But if it is not destroyed, it would be best for it to be in the hands of the government than an individual.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 12:53:36 PM
At 10/21/2011 12:32:02 PM, RFH wrote:
At 10/21/2011 11:36:20 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

There is certainly a difference. On the one hand, you have an individual executing people with no accountability. On the other, you have a government that is, at least in the United States, held accountable to the people.
There is no such thing as "the people." There is the majority and its victims.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 1:05:59 PM
At 10/21/2011 12:53:36 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Better than the minority and its victims. :P
RFH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 1:07:11 PM

Something you read on a bumper sticker?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 2:27:39 PM
At 10/21/2011 1:05:59 PM, Kinesis wrote:

Better than the minority and its victims. :P

Not at all. The only relevant consideration in selecting who must be the victim is-- who started it? They must lose.

Something you read on a bumper sticker?
No.