Jump to topic:

"Strange New World"

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2011 7:21:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Found this at the philosophersnet Games section--it's not really a game, but an interesting exploration of the Matrix or "Dream World" idea. It only takes about 10 minutes.

Thoughts?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2011 7:22:02 PM
Oops, forgot to share the link: http://www.philosophersnet.com...

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2011 7:36:27 PM
That was pretty cool. But when it tells you to select a card and it says it removed your card, it actually removed ALL the cards that were there, but replaced them with similar looking cards merely playing on the fact that you memorized one and not all. I was so disappointed when I figured that out.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2011 7:41:06 PM
At 10/9/2011 7:36:27 PM, 000ike wrote:
That was pretty cool. But when it tells you to select a card and it says it removed your card, it actually removed ALL the cards that were there, but replaced them with similar looking cards merely playing on the fact that you memorized one and not all. I was so disappointed when I figured that out.

What answer did you choose at the end (if you bypassed security)?

I chose the anti-skeptic answer ("Whether this is all a simulation is irrelevant, it is my reality because it's what I experience as my reality.")

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2011 7:50:58 PM
At 10/9/2011 7:41:06 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 10/9/2011 7:36:27 PM, 000ike wrote:

What answer did you choose at the end (if you bypassed security)?

I chose the anti-skeptic answer ("Whether this is all a simulation is irrelevant, it is my reality because it's what I experience as my reality.")

I put in the wrong code, but it said " you blew it! but I've managed to get you back to the mainframe" I lol'd. Yeah, I picked the anti-skeptic answer even though I'm still not convinced. The state of consciousness during a dream is not as absolute as the one when awake. I cannot recall a dream where I ever smelt, tasted, or felt anything, I only see things and have different reactions to them that mimic the other senses, but don't actually create them. Using the dream as a model, the matrix theory doesn't really work.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault