Jump to topic:

how can you know yourself?

warning-lullaby-playback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 11:32:07 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
In order to be successful, you need to know yourself, as Socrates said.

You need to know what you can do successfully, and what you cannot do.

You need to know your weaknesses, so you do not meet failure or disaster by estimating your abilities incorrectly.

You need to be objective about knowing your strengths.

How would you make such an evaluation of yourself?

Examples things you can look at are
the power of your intellect,
your ability in affairs, such as business or politics,
the kind of courage you have: in love, fighting, politics?

Any suggestions?
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 6:07:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/12/2011 11:32:07 AM, warning-lullaby-playback wrote:

You need to know your weaknesses, so you do not meet failure or disaster by estimating your abilities incorrectly.

Any suggestions?

Very true, just do the things you never done before. Know your strengths and weaknesses and keep improving.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 7:09:13 PM
At 7/19/2014 6:07:05 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 10/12/2011 11:32:07 AM, warning-lullaby-playback wrote:

Any suggestions?

Very true, just do the things you never done before. Know your strengths and weaknesses and keep improving.

2 years way off man... well you are what limits you put in front of you...
Never fart near dog
NicholasPiva
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 10:24:15 PM
A topic that I could write a million words on. Throughout my life I have conjured up an answer to this ubiquitous question. Many people have found 'enlightenment' in different, novel ways. Take Buddha for example, he fasted and become a roaming ascetic and devoted his life to solitude. At the end of self-reflection he became enlightened.

Everyone has their own way, that is truth. I would take time and read a myriad of books and partake in first hand experiences throughout the arts and sciences. By doing this you will learn first-handily and vicariously a diverse set of disciplines and become more worldly as a result.

To verily find yourself, after adhering to a life-long pursuit of knowledge I would take time for yourself. In this hectic world, one must understand oneself immensely and be able to conquer the innate desires we all have.

This is only done by consistent solicitude in forms of mediation and reading, but especially thinking. After a while of living with discipline it becomes easier and the temptations of the horde don't wear off on you; for you are your own person and wholeheartedly understand yourself.

I hope this opened your mind a little bit. Remember, the key is solitude.
Nicholas J. Piva
Evalme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 2:09:53 PM
A man knowing himself will be a far different situation than someone else coming to know him.
The other man, in an attempt to decode the first, would use the tools of language.
Unfortunately one is always changing. These changes can be active(knowing that you are changing) and passive (change as a result of not changing.)

The better question is the following; is it better to know thyself once and for all or to learn thyself over time? After all, you are always changing.

I would choose the later.
Evalme
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 2:10:42 PM
A man knowing himself will be a far different situation than someone else coming to know him. The other man, in an attempt to decode the first, would use the tools of language.
Unfortunately one is always changing. These changes can be active(knowing that you are changing) and passive (change as a result of not changing.)

The better question is the following; is it better to know thyself once and for all or to learn thyself over time? After all, you are always changing.

I would choose the later.
Material_Girl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 3:02:09 PM
I don't think knowing oneself can truly happen without spiritual individualism. Right now, we are living in spiritual collectivism: religion is a collective matter due to religious institutions, our primary motives for any action are extrinsic, not intrinsic, we're pressured to fit into a social mould and ascribe social labels to ourselves and most people have no senses of self. None of this should be true. The spirit needs to be private property (and that's all the private property anyone needs) and until then, no one will know themself.
http://commissaress.wordpress.com...

Political Compass
Economic Left: -10.00
Social Libertarian: -7.13

Yes, I am an evil godless commie.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 6:35:34 PM
I know I hate dealing with unreasonable people. Therefore I never peruse anything that has to do with dealing with sales. People are fuking lying aholes. It doesn't even matter if you have it in writing with their signature they will still lie. The customer is almost always wrong and lies.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%