Total Posts:82|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What makes your Father YOUR Father?

Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 1:00:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This may not at first to be a Philosophical question, but consider this. Approximately half the population does not agree that a human life begins at and by conception. Many hold that you are not "YOU" or that you are not even a 'person' until you can think, breathe or have the ability to feel pain.... Those traits are only first realized several weeks after your conception.

So, to answer the question "What makes your biological father YOUR father" you have to consider both biologically AND philosophically who and what YOU are, Who your 'father' is and what it is that makes him YOUR father.

A couple of things to consider;

1. If a man impregnates a woman, he becomes immediately liable in some States for the child's prenatal care, delivery and later "child support." This is true EVEN in a case where did not intend to or want to become a father.

2. That same woman in the example above has (for now) the legal right to abort the pregnancy and thus absolve not only herself but also the would be father of any responsibility for the life they created.

In essence, for men it has been established that THEIR children's lives "begin at conception" and for women,.... THEIR children's lives do not begin until she either decides that it has,... or at some arbitrarily decided point after which the State can intervene.

With all of the above information in mind,...

"What is it that makes your biological father YOUR father?"
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 1:03:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 1:00:58 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
This may not at first to be a Philosophical question, but consider this. Approximately half the population does not agree that a human life begins at and by conception. Many hold that you are not "YOU" or that you are not even a 'person' until you can think, breathe or have the ability to feel pain.... Those traits are only first realized several weeks after your conception.

So, to answer the question "What makes your biological father YOUR father" you have to consider both biologically AND philosophically who and what YOU are, Who your 'father' is and what it is that makes him YOUR father.

A couple of things to consider;

1. If a man impregnates a woman, he becomes immediately liable in some States for the child's prenatal care, delivery and later "child support." This is true EVEN in a case where did not intend to or want to become a father.

2. That same woman in the example above has (for now) the legal right to abort the pregnancy and thus absolve not only herself but also the would be father of any responsibility for the life they created.

In essence, for men it has been established that THEIR children's lives "begin at conception" and for women,.... THEIR children's lives do not begin until she either decides that it has,... or at some arbitrarily decided point after which the State can intervene.

With all of the above information in mind,...

"What is it that makes your biological father YOUR father?"

CORRECTION: "This may not at first to be a Philosophical question, but consider this. " should have been; "This may not at first appear to be a Philosophical question, but consider this.... "
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 2:38:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
As someone who is opposed to child support without a prior contract, this is a non-problem ^_^
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 2:39:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Child support laws anyway. Support whatever children you like of course.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 3:39:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 2:15:18 PM, nonentity wrote:
Interesting question, but mine is this: Are men required to pay "child support" before the child is born?

I've seen cases where men have been forced to pay for pre-natal care, so yeah.... Pretty much.

So, what is your answer, NON?

What is it that makes your biological father YOUR "biological father?"
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 6:39:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 3:39:34 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

What is it that makes your biological father YOUR "biological father?"

Biology?
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 9:31:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 6:39:20 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 10/12/2011 3:39:34 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

What is it that makes your biological father YOUR "biological father?"

Biology?

Not that i disagree with you, Mongeese but could I get you to expound on that answer a bit?
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 5:28:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 9:31:32 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 10/12/2011 6:39:20 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 10/12/2011 3:39:34 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

What is it that makes your biological father YOUR "biological father?"

Biology?

Not that i disagree with you, Mongeese but could I get you to expound on that answer a bit?

I don't get what you're saying.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 5:35:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Acknowledgement.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 5:36:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
oh, and his sperm, duh.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 5:38:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/13/2011 5:35:25 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Acknowledgement.

I was going to say something like that but then he rephrased the question to "what makes your biological father your biological father", which is... biology.

I understand that men don't really get a "choice" in the decision making process (in terms of whether to abort or put up for adoption) but then again, don't have sex with someone who won't include you in that process.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 5:54:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/13/2011 5:38:07 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 10/13/2011 5:35:25 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Acknowledgement.

I was going to say something like that but then he rephrased the question to "what makes your biological father your biological father", which is... biology.

I understand that men don't really get a "choice" in the decision making process (in terms of whether to abort or put up for adoption) but then again, don't have sex with someone who won't include you in that process.

And the sperm.

Actually, depending on how you look at it, it probably is only the sperm.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 8:23:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I was hoping for a little more interesting and informative commentary from a "philosophy" thread / forum.

Interesting that the same minds that dwell endlessly on thoughts and morals religion...time, existence,...

People who are such deep thinkers they can have a considerable debate on whether any of us are even "real."

But a single cell combines with another.... and the donors are immediately (responsible?) parents.... hardly any questions asked.

Interesting.

And I don't suppose that any of you would be interested in how this proves that a child's life begins at conception? Or that their rights begin when their life does as well?

I digress.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 1:58:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
You are adding a whole lot of extra baggage.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 6:08:43 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
A previous member AnnHasle would have had things to say about that. I believe that your parents created you and are inherently responsible. Unless you formally relinquish that responsibility (ie. Give the child to a hospital or someone else) then you accept responsibility to care for it to the best of your ability. So my answer to your question is exactly what has been said: sperm and acknowledgment. If you disagree, why don't you say so and facilitate your own discussion? :p
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 3:48:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/14/2011 6:08:43 AM, nonentity wrote:
A previous member AnnHasle would have had things to say about that. I believe that your parents created you and are inherently responsible. Unless you formally relinquish that responsibility (ie. Give the child to a hospital or someone else) then you accept responsibility to care for it to the best of your ability. So my answer to your question is exactly what has been said: sperm and acknowledgment. If you disagree, why don't you say so and facilitate your own discussion? :p

It's not that I disagree, NON.

I was kind of hoping for those who deny that life begins at conception would maybe do some re-evaluations and I was also hoping that those who use the claim that a human fetus is only a "potential" human being would explain themselves.

I mean the "my biological father is my father because he donated some sperm cells that later merged with my mom's egg and that created the potential that was later realized to become me" is kinda weak.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 6:20:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/14/2011 3:48:53 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 10/14/2011 6:08:43 AM, nonentity wrote:
A previous member AnnHasle would have had things to say about that. I believe that your parents created you and are inherently responsible. Unless you formally relinquish that responsibility (ie. Give the child to a hospital or someone else) then you accept responsibility to care for it to the best of your ability. So my answer to your question is exactly what has been said: sperm and acknowledgment. If you disagree, why don't you say so and facilitate your own discussion? :p

It's not that I disagree, NON.

I was kind of hoping for those who deny that life begins at conception would maybe do some re-evaluations and I was also hoping that those who use the claim that a human fetus is only a "potential" human being would explain themselves.

I mean the "my biological father is my father because he donated some sperm cells that later merged with my mom's egg and that created the potential that was later realized to become me" is kinda weak.

How so?
Chthonian
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:10:54 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 1:00:58 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
This may not at first to be a Philosophical question, but consider this. Approximately half the population does not agree that a human life begins at and by conception. Many hold that you are not "YOU" or that you are not even a 'person' until you can think, breathe or have the ability to feel pain.... Those traits are only first realized several weeks after your conception.

So, to answer the question "What makes your biological father YOUR father" you have to consider both biologically AND philosophically who and what YOU are, Who your 'father' is and what it is that makes him YOUR father.

A couple of things to consider;

1. If a man impregnates a woman, he becomes immediately liable in some States for the child's prenatal care, delivery and later "child support." This is true EVEN in a case where did not intend to or want to become a father.

2. That same woman in the example above has (for now) the legal right to abort the pregnancy and thus absolve not only herself but also the would be father of any responsibility for the life they created.

In essence, for men it has been established that THEIR children's lives "begin at conception" and for women,.... THEIR children's lives do not begin until she either decides that it has,... or at some arbitrarily decided point after which the State can intervene.

With all of the above information in mind,...

"What is it that makes your biological father YOUR father?"

Chuz-Life,

What is your definition of life and conception?
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 10:26:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 9:10:54 AM, Chthonian wrote:
Chuz-Life,

What is your definition of life and conception?

I don't have definitions of my own Cht...

I am fine with those in the dictionaries.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 10:31:06 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/14/2011 6:20:52 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 10/14/2011 3:48:53 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 10/14/2011 6:08:43 AM, nonentity wrote:
A previous member AnnHasle would have had things to say about that. I believe that your parents created you and are inherently responsible. Unless you formally relinquish that responsibility (ie. Give the child to a hospital or someone else) then you accept responsibility to care for it to the best of your ability. So my answer to your question is exactly what has been said: sperm and acknowledgment. If you disagree, why don't you say so and facilitate your own discussion? :p

It's not that I disagree, NON.

I was kind of hoping for those who deny that life begins at conception would maybe do some re-evaluations and I was also hoping that those who use the claim that a human fetus is only a "potential" human being would explain themselves.

I mean the "my biological father is my father because he donated some sperm cells that later merged with my mom's egg and that created the potential that was later realized to become me" is kinda weak.

How so?

Well, for one, expecting a man to pay 18 years of child support because he assumed the risks of pregnancy by engaging in sex (with protection or not) is a case that is a lot easier to make and to defend if "life begins at conception."

That case is not so easily made when he risked a pregnancy that might create a "potential" for a life to be later realized as a "person" if the woman decides to keep it and not have an abortion which some say is her right to do.....
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Chthonian
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 11:05:54 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 10:26:22 AM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:10:54 AM, Chthonian wrote:
Chuz-Life,

What is your definition of life and conception?

I don't have definitions of my own Cht...

I am fine with those in the dictionaries.

The reason I ask is because if we assume that 'life' begins at 'conception', then in this context a single cell (i.e., the zygote), which is not a self-sustaining organism, is considered life. So should the gametes (i.e., the sperm and egg) also be considered life since they are requisite for a fetus to form?
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 2:27:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 11:05:54 AM, Chthonian wrote:
At 10/15/2011 10:26:22 AM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:10:54 AM, Chthonian wrote:
Chuz-Life,

What is your definition of life and conception?

I don't have definitions of my own Cht...

I am fine with those in the dictionaries.

The reason I ask is because if we assume that 'life' begins at 'conception', then in this context a single cell (i.e., the zygote), which is not a self-sustaining organism, is considered life. So should the gametes (i.e., the sperm and egg) also be considered life since they are requisite for a fetus to form?

1. We don't have to assume that a new organisms life begins at conception because (biologically speaking) it factually does.

2. It is undeniable that a living sperm and or egg cells are also 'life' as they too are alive. A Sperm cells life begins when it is first created and it ends when it either dies or when it merges with an egg cell to form a NEW organism and thus begins a NEW lif.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Chthonian
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 3:24:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 2:27:24 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 10/15/2011 11:05:54 AM, Chthonian wrote:
At 10/15/2011 10:26:22 AM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 10/15/2011 9:10:54 AM, Chthonian wrote:
Chuz-Life,

What is your definition of life and conception?

I don't have definitions of my own Cht...

I am fine with those in the dictionaries.

The reason I ask is because if we assume that 'life' begins at 'conception', then in this context a single cell (i.e., the zygote), which is not a self-sustaining organism, is considered life. So should the gametes (i.e., the sperm and egg) also be considered life since they are requisite for a fetus to form?

1. We don't have to assume that a new organisms life begins at conception because (biologically speaking) it factually does.

I think from a biological perspective the zygote is not yet a new organism because it isn't viable.

2. It is undeniable that a living sperm and or egg cells are also 'life' as they too are alive. A Sperm cells life begins when it is first created and it ends when it either dies or when it merges with an egg cell to form a NEW organism and thus begins a NEW lif.

So, if sperm cells and eggs cells are considered life and alive, should they too be afforded legal rights?
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 5:58:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 3:24:52 PM, Chthonian wrote:
At 10/15/2011 2:27:24 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
...if we assume that 'life' begins at 'conception', then in this context a single cell (i.e., the zygote), which is not a self-sustaining organism, is considered life. So should the gametes (i.e., the sperm and egg) also be considered life since they are requisite for a fetus to form?

1. We don't have to assume that a new organisms life begins at conception because (biologically speaking) it factually does.

I think from a biological perspective the zygote is not yet a new organism because it isn't viable.


The definition for the word "organism" is very inclusive.

http://dictionary.reference.com...

And, I'll add that not even "Planned Parenthood" has a problem with the recognition of the fact that a human zygote is an 'organism.'

http://www.plannedparenthood.org...

zygote
The single-celled organism that results from the joining of the egg and sperm.

_________________________________________
2. It is undeniable that a living sperm and or egg cells are also 'life' as they too are alive. A Sperm cells life begins when it is first created and it ends when it either dies or when it merges with an egg cell to form a NEW organism and thus begins a NEW lif.

So, if sperm cells and eggs cells are considered life and alive, should they too be afforded legal rights?

1. I don't hold the belief that our basic human rights are "afforded" to us by others. They are either recognized and respected or they aren't.

2. Sperm and Egg "cells" are not complete HUMAN organisms in the sense that the zygote they form together to create is. Sperm and egg cells are only Haploid cells whose only purpose is to create a new member of their species.

Sperm and egg cells have only the "potential" to create that which a human in the zygote stage of their life ALREADY is.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Chthonian
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:21:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 5:58:45 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
The definition for the word "organism" is very inclusive.

http://dictionary.reference.com...

And, I'll add that not even "Planned Parenthood" has a problem with the recognition of the fact that a human zygote is an 'organism.'

http://www.plannedparenthood.org...

zygote
The single-celled organism that results from the joining of the egg and sperm.

I can see how quickly this discussion can become a semantics argument.

From Wikipedia:
"In biology, an organism is any contiguous living system (such as animal, fungus, micro-organism, or plant). In at least some form, all organisms are capable of response to stimuli, reproduction, growth and development, and maintenance of homoeostasis as a stable whole." http://en.wikipedia.org...

The operative words here are "stable whole", which implies the organism can maintain itself; a zygote can not.

1. I don't hold the belief that our basic human rights are "afforded" to us by others. They are either recognized and respected or they aren't.

In America, the protection of basic human rights is codified in the Constitution, which for all intents and purpose is a legal document. So these rights are afforded by the federal government to those people within it's jurisdiction or born on American soil. Thus, it would seem that if we were to include the unborn, special legal considerations would need to be made. Obviously, the question of whether a zygote is a person is debatable.

2. Sperm and Egg "cells" are not complete HUMAN organisms in the sense that the zygote they form together to create is. Sperm and egg cells are only Haploid cells whose only purpose is to create a new member of their species.

And by extension one could argue that the only purpose of a diploid zygote is to create a new member of their species, since it is one of many developmental stages that need to occur before a human is born. From my perspective, it is quite a stretch to suggest that the developing diploid cell is a human being, whether strictly defined as viable organism or not. http://www.merriam-webster.com...

Sperm and egg cells have only the "potential" to create that which a human in the zygote stage of their life ALREADY is.

I found this statement very profound. It got me thinking: what makes us characteristically human? Well, humans are sentient and sapient. Does a zygote possess these characteristics? Not likely. A zygote is a developmental stage of all mammals. In fact, most mammals have similar embryogenesis to humans. So, what makes a zygote uniquely human? Well, the chromosomes it carries will lead to proteins that will lead to human characteristics. But at the time of ‘conception' those proteins have been not been synthesized and if the blastocysts--the developmental stage after a zygote--does not implant, the pregnancy will have never occurred, and a human would never have been realized. So, why is not fair to consider a zygote a potential human?

Chuz, I am well aware of the fact that this is an emotive topic and I am truly interested in understanding your point of view. Any comments I make that may offend you has not been done intentionally.
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 7:34:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/15/2011 9:21:24 PM, Chthonian wrote:
At 10/15/2011 5:58:45 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
The definition for the word "organism" is very inclusive.

http://dictionary.reference.com...

And, I'll add that not even "Planned Parenthood" has a problem with the recognition of the fact that a human zygote is an 'organism.'

http://www.plannedparenthood.org...

zygote
The single-celled organism that results from the joining of the egg and sperm.

I can see how quickly this discussion can become a semantics argument.

From Wikipedia:
"In biology, an organism is any contiguous living system (such as animal, fungus, micro-organism, or plant). In at least some form, all organisms are capable of response to stimuli, reproduction, growth and development, and maintenance of homoeostasis as a stable whole." http://en.wikipedia.org...

The operative words here are "stable whole", which implies the organism can maintain itself; a zygote can not.

1. I don't hold the belief that our basic human rights are "afforded" to us by others. They are either recognized and respected or they aren't.

In America, the protection of basic human rights is codified in the Constitution, which for all intents and purpose is a legal document. So these rights are afforded by the federal government to those people within it's jurisdiction or born on American soil. Thus, it would seem that if we were to include the unborn, special legal considerations would need to be made. Obviously, the question of whether a zygote is a person is debatable.

2. Sperm and Egg "cells" are not complete HUMAN organisms in the sense that the zygote they form together to create is. Sperm and egg cells are only Haploid cells whose only purpose is to create a new member of their species.

And by extension one could argue that the only purpose of a diploid zygote is to create a new member of their species, since it is one of many developmental stages that need to occur before a human is born. From my perspective, it is quite a stretch to suggest that the developing diploid cell is a human being, whether strictly defined as viable organism or not. http://www.merriam-webster.com...

Sperm and egg cells have only the "potential" to create that which a human in the zygote stage of their life ALREADY is.

I found this statement very profound. It got me thinking: what makes us characteristically human? Well, humans are sentient and sapient. Does a zygote possess these characteristics? Not likely. A zygote is a developmental stage of all mammals. In fact, most mammals have similar embryogenesis to humans. So, what makes a zygote uniquely human? Well, the chromosomes it carries will lead to proteins that will lead to human characteristics. But at the time of ‘conception' those proteins have been not been synthesized and if the blastocysts--the developmental stage after a zygote--does not implant, the pregnancy will have never occurred, and a human would never have been realized. So, why is not fair to consider a zygote a potential human?

Chuz, I am well aware of the fact that this is an emotive topic and I am truly interested in understanding your point of view. Any comments I make that may offend you has not been done intentionally.

Sorry for my slow response. I'm not offended in the least.

It appears that you would like an in depth discussion on the abortion issue and I'm not sure this is the best place (or time) for me to have one.

It would be fine with me if you can mold this into a debate... Or, if you use FaceBook I have an online survey (list of questions) I would like to use to start things off.

~Chuz
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Chthonian
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 5:41:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/17/2011 7:34:05 AM, Chuz-Life wrote:

Sorry for my slow response. I'm not offended in the least.

It appears that you would like an in depth discussion on the abortion issue and I'm not sure this is the best place (or time) for me to have one.

It would be fine with me if you can mold this into a debate... Or, if you use FaceBook I have an online survey (list of questions) I would like to use to start things off.

~Chuz

No worries about a slow response, Chuz. I can appreciate a life outside Debate.org : )

I am very interested in your point-of-view, and hashing it out in a debate is fine with me. I'll take a look at your Facebook survey. Let me know when you have some free time to debate.

Looking forward to an informative and provocative discussion...
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2011 8:03:41 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/17/2011 5:41:56 PM, Chthonian wrote:
At 10/17/2011 7:34:05 AM, Chuz-Life wrote:

Sorry for my slow response. I'm not offended in the least.

It appears that you would like an in depth discussion on the abortion issue and I'm not sure this is the best place (or time) for me to have one.

It would be fine with me if you can mold this into a debate... Or, if you use FaceBook I have an online survey (list of questions) I would like to use to start things off.

~Chuz

No worries about a slow response, Chuz. I can appreciate a life outside Debate.org : )

I am very interested in your point-of-view, and hashing it out in a debate is fine with me. I'll take a look at your Facebook survey. Let me know when you have some free time to debate.

Looking forward to an informative and provocative discussion...

Thank you. (work happens)
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Chuz-Life
Posts: 1,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2011 5:56:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/17/2011 5:41:56 PM, Chthonian wrote:
At 10/17/2011 7:34:05 AM, Chuz-Life wrote:

Sorry for my slow response. I'm not offended in the least.

It appears that you would like an in depth discussion on the abortion issue and I'm not sure this is the best place (or time) for me to have one.

It would be fine with me if you can mold this into a debate... Or, if you use FaceBook I have an online survey (list of questions) I would like to use to start things off.

~Chuz

No worries about a slow response, Chuz. I can appreciate a life outside Debate.org : )

I am very interested in your point-of-view, and hashing it out in a debate is fine with me. I'll take a look at your Facebook survey. Let me know when you have some free time to debate.

Looking forward to an informative and provocative discussion...

Here is the link to my FaceBook Questionnaire/ Survey.

However it is that you would like to go from there? Just let me know.

https://www.facebook.com...
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...