Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

moral nihilists do you ever feel guilty/bad?

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 7:48:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is not an attack thread, it's really something I want to understand. If there are no moral values, then how can you feel bad if you've wronged another person? How would you even know that you've wronged them?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 8:38:17 AM
Ethical Nihilism doesn't deny that there exist subjective emotional responses to particular states of affairs. It denies that there exists any objective ethical quality to those states of affairs. There's no contradiction between feeling guilty about something while believing that it isn't ethically wrong.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 9:15:28 AM
Nihilists reject absolute, universal, objective, independent-of-man truths. But it can certainly be recognized that emotions exist. After all, emotions are merely conditions that people have evolved in order for us to further our species - it's an evolutionary adaptation.

It's already made clear through cases with sociopaths or psychopaths that these emotions can be made obsolete, if the physical and chemical connection required for such emotions are not functioning properly. Therefore, we know that emotions only exist in the context of our physical and social functions.

Therefore, we can conclude that although emotions may not a necessary "truth" for our reality, they serve as a useful construct in order for humans to interact and create their societies.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 3:15:17 PM
Someone who does not couple negative emotional reactions with certain perceptions (like seeing acts of violence) is commonly known as a sociopath.

A moral nihilist acknowledges these emotional sentiments without granting axiomatic validity.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 4:27:57 PM
At 10/13/2011 7:48:30 AM, thett3 wrote:
This is not an attack thread, it's really something I want to understand. If there are no moral values, then how can you feel bad if you've wronged another person? How would you even know that you've wronged them?

Wronged? What does that mean? Guilt? For what?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 4:47:27 PM
At 10/13/2011 4:27:57 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:

Oh, so you mean you can't say that you've "wronged someone" because it isnt something that can be objectively measured?

oh, and in case it appears this way, I'm not attacking moral nihilism, I'm just trying to understand it
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 5:52:27 PM
I think it could be understood like this.

Morality is commonly thought of as being what you aught to do.

Now, you might question, "Aught to do for what?".

Most are incapable of answering that question in a satisfactory way, so people become moral nihilists.

The majority of people don't even know what morality is, or how it was originally deduced. Unfortunately, morality to the masses is just something that has been passed down by tradition.

When you get deep into the philosophical moralities, they are sculpted by one's priorities. What is moral to a Democrat for instance may be immoral to a Republican, and visa versa. This is because they have different priorities.

Morality is entirely sculpted by the grid that you place over reality. If you are presented with a morality grid that doesn't fit in with the grid you've placed over your reality grid, it is very easy to say that morality doesn't exist.

A moral nihilist may not believe in the world of phantoms, but human beings are forced to live in the world of phantoms. Whether you believe in it or not. Most people do not like it when something is done to them that hinders them in some way. A moral nihilist would feel guilt because of empathy.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 9:31:18 PM
At 10/13/2011 4:47:27 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 10/13/2011 4:27:57 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:

Oh, so you mean you can't say that you've "wronged someone" because it isnt something that can be objectively measured?

oh, and in case it appears this way, I'm not attacking moral nihilism, I'm just trying to understand it

Not that I'm a moral nihilist... but...

I can't say I've wronged someone because the concept "wrong" is meaningless. What is this strange thing you speak of?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 12:19:39 PM

There are no OBJECTIVE moral values.

I did something that was morally wrong is not a truth statement in a meaningful sense of the word.

As a moral nihilist I embrace empathy.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 11:35:48 PM
Because moral nihilists are humans. The only reason anyone would cling to moral guidelines in the first place is out of emotional impulse. Nihilists have the same emotional impulses, they just realize that the idea of morality is illogical. This has no actual consequence on their actions because they would still strongly dislike killing people, etc.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord