MSHC: Turning Point of Religion is History

Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 2:54:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
MSHC - makeshift history category

What was the turning point in History for religion? In most of ancient and early civilizations, religion was used to maintain order and control the people. Examples of this would be the caste system of India. People followed its teachings, and there was relative peace. I believe that religion eventual turned into "philosophy" and "personal salvation", but exactly when did people being to accept this idea? I have multiple theories: The end of the classical era/being of feudal age, when the church was the most powerful organization, the early begins of salvation religions (such as Judaism and Christianity), or the acceptance/creation of monotheistic faiths, where instead of demanding of humans, the gods now cared about them. By the time of Byzantium (Eastern Roman) empire, rulers no longer used religion to claim power and show divinity, they were able to rule without intervening on social life via religion.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 8:26:37 AM
I am not sure than anything you said actually makes sense...
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 11:34:15 AM
"they were able to rule without intervening on social life via religion."

I think Henry VIII and Bloody Mary's England would disagree with you on that one.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 11:55:17 AM
At 10/20/2011 2:54:58 PM, Mikeee wrote:
MSHC - makeshift history category

Examples of this would be the caste system of India. People followed its teachings, and there was relative peace.

Untouchables would have to disagree with you on that.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."