Total Posts:72|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Atheists, explain yourselves!

GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:08:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Explain why you are an atheist, don't just say, "I see no evidence of God's existence.". Explain philosophically in good detail why you do not believe in God. Justify your reasons for being an atheist.

To be honest, I don't get atheism, not in an ignorant way, but in a sane, unique, logical way. Atheists say there is evidence against God, yet how can there be evidence against God if there is nothing like God to know what evidence against God is?

Go ahead, what are your justified reasons for being a open minded, free thinking atheist?
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:12:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 9:08:37 PM, GodSands wrote:
Explain why you are an atheist, don't just say, "I see no evidence of God's existence.". Explain philosophically in good detail why you do not believe in God. Justify your reasons for being an atheist.

To be honest, I don't get atheism, not in an ignorant way, but in a sane, unique, logical way. Atheists say there is evidence against God, yet how can there be evidence against God if there is nothing like God to know what evidence against God is?

Go ahead, what are your justified reasons for being a open minded, free thinking atheist?

100000 Kleptin points to each individual who responds to this thread with the statement "I see no evidence of God's existence."
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:15:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
You haven't differentiated from weak and strong atheism. I am a weak atheist meaning I see no evidence for god. Neither i nor any other weak atheist, needs to explain their reasoning just like I wouldn't have to if you asked me why I didn't believe that Elvis is still alive. There is simply no evidence to the contrary.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:20:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I see no evidence to suggest God does not exist.

Daddy long leg spider legs How incredible is that. So minute and fragile yet all the dextarity of the human hand. A freak random creation from nothing, hard to belive huh?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:24:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 9:15:48 PM, socialpinko wrote:
You haven't differentiated from weak and strong atheism. I am a weak atheist meaning I see no evidence for god. Neither i nor any other weak atheist, needs to explain their reasoning just like I wouldn't have to if you asked me why I didn't believe that Elvis is still alive. There is simply no evidence to the contrary.

You say you see no evidence for God as if you already know what to look for when it comes to finding evidence for God. But of cource that is false, so again, I ask, what are your reasons for being a 'weak atheist' as you so call it?
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:26:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
My faith eroded.

At this point, I currently identify as a weak atheist.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:26:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 9:20:01 PM, sadolite wrote:
I see no evidence to suggest God does not exist.

Daddy long leg spider legs How incredible is that. So minute and fragile yet all the dextarity of the human hand. A freak random creation from nothing, hard to belive huh?

What a cruel joke God has played on us. To limit our dexterity on the level of a mere spider. It would be true intelligent design to grant us greater dexterity, or better yet, more efficient joints so that we don't get arthritic so quickly.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:34:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 9:26:04 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 10/27/2011 9:20:01 PM, sadolite wrote:
I see no evidence to suggest God does not exist.

Daddy long leg spider legs How incredible is that. So minute and fragile yet all the dextarity of the human hand. A freak random creation from nothing, hard to belive huh?

What a cruel joke God has played on us. To limit our dexterity on the level of a mere spider. It would be true intelligent design to grant us greater dexterity, or better yet, more efficient joints so that we don't get arthritic so quickly.

Corruption plays no part in a design, for example; cars break, rust and become old and weathered, does that mean they aren't designed? No of course not. Design has no direct link with the quality of something.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:36:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 9:29:26 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
All right GodSands, I'll be honest - I'm an atheist because I hate goodness and all that is holy.

Alright, I don't know if that responce is an honest one or one that is sarcastic?
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:37:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm not an atheist, I'm an agnostic.

So let me say this. There is no evidence for God. There will never be any evidence for God. Even if there were evidence for God, we would not be able to know it or detect it, or identify it. If God exists, then God has absolutely no influence over this world outside of what we imagine or believe. Even if God exists, there is no reason to act any differently than if God does not exist.

The Bible is written by man and cannot be trusted. To say that the Bible is the word of God is arrogance. Arrogance that man can even begin to comprehend a definitively omniscient force. It was not divinely inspired, because no matter how close you come to perfection, you will never attain perfection, and even if you believe God inspired man to write the Bible, it will always be tainted by the imperfection of man.

Everything that is good and right will still be good and right if there is no God.

Everything that is wrong, evil and ugly, will still be wrong, evil, and ugly even if there is a God.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:44:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 9:37:19 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I'm not an atheist, I'm an agnostic.

So let me say this. There is no evidence for God. There will never be any evidence for God. Even if there were evidence for God, we would not be able to know it or detect it, or identify it. If God exists, then God has absolutely no influence over this world outside of what we imagine or believe. Even if God exists, there is no reason to act any differently than if God does not exist.

The Bible is written by man and cannot be trusted. To say that the Bible is the word of God is arrogance. Arrogance that man can even begin to comprehend a definitively omniscient force. It was not divinely inspired, because no matter how close you come to perfection, you will never attain perfection, and even if you believe God inspired man to write the Bible, it will always be tainted by the imperfection of man.

Everything that is good and right will still be good and right if there is no God.

Everything that is wrong, evil and ugly, will still be wrong, evil, and ugly even if there is a God.

Well of course you would say that, you aren't a Christian!
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:46:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 9:44:42 PM, GodSands wrote:
Well of course you would say that, you aren't a Christian!

Well, of COURSE I'm not a Christian, silly! Look at who you're talking to in the Topic heading!
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:48:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 9:24:14 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 10/27/2011 9:15:48 PM, socialpinko wrote:
You haven't differentiated from weak and strong atheism. I am a weak atheist meaning I see no evidence for god. Neither i nor any other weak atheist, needs to explain their reasoning just like I wouldn't have to if you asked me why I didn't believe that Elvis is still alive. There is simply no evidence to the contrary.

You say you see no evidence for God as if you already know what to look for when it comes to finding evidence for God. But of cource that is false, so again, I ask, what are your reasons for being a 'weak atheist' as you so call it?

I've examined the theists alleged justifications including the ontological, cosmological, moral, and teleological arguments. In my opinion, they all fail for sufferer reasons. Therefore I see no reason. If a theist brings me an unrefutable argument, I might shift my beliefs but curretly see no reason to do so. Are you suggesting I should be an agnostic instead?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:49:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 9:46:02 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 10/27/2011 9:44:42 PM, GodSands wrote:
Well of course you would say that, you aren't a Christian!

Well, of COURSE I'm not a Christian, silly! Look at who you're talking to in the Topic heading!

I knew it was you (tempted to say you know what).
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:53:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 9:08:37 PM, GodSands wrote:
Explain why you are an atheist, don't just say, "I see no evidence of God's existence.". Explain philosophically in good detail why you do not believe in God. Justify your reasons for being an atheist.

To be honest, I don't get atheism, not in an ignorant way, but in a sane, unique, logical way. Atheists say there is evidence against God, yet how can there be evidence against God if there is nothing like God to know what evidence against God is?

Go ahead, what are your justified reasons for being a open minded, free thinking atheist?

You really want me to type that long list of reasons in a list? I could begin by giving a simple probability answer. There are so many religions out there. They all say the rest are at least partially wrong. So is it more likely that one of them just happens to be right when none of them have more evidence than the next? Or is it more likely that they are all wrong?

Also God has never been able to prove itself. Unlikes science which can be proven to be right over and over again, people prove God in logical fallacies such as "the universe exists so it must have a creator", "the world is so complex so someone must have designed it", "we can't explain everything therefore what we can't explain must be the work of god." I assume you know how those are refuted if not I will do so.

Also many components of God do not logically fit with one another. The one that baffles me is that I think that God cannot be all-good, all-knowing, and all-powerful. At least not in the way it is portrayed. If God knows everything then it must know the future yes? If God knows the future and is all-powerful it can change the future yes? Therefore God must have known that creating Lucifer would lead to the damnation of mankind and wished this to happen. The only way I can rationalize this is by assuming that God damns no one and gave us good, evil, vices, and pain to make life more beautiful, exciting, and meaningful. Still from what I know, the Universalists were the only ones who believed something close to that.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:54:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 9:49:25 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 10/27/2011 9:46:02 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 10/27/2011 9:44:42 PM, GodSands wrote:
Well of course you would say that, you aren't a Christian!

Well, of COURSE I'm not a Christian, silly! Look at who you're talking to in the Topic heading!

I knew it was you (tempted to say you know what).

It's not hard to know that I'm me o.O My name and my picture haven't changed. Regardless, aren't you going to respond to what I said?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:58:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 9:37:19 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I'm not an atheist, I'm an agnostic.

So let me say this. There is no evidence for God. There will never be any evidence for God. Even if there were evidence for God, we would not be able to know it or detect it, or identify it. If God exists, then God has absolutely no influence over this world outside of what we imagine or believe. Even if God exists, there is no reason to act any differently than if God does not exist.

The Bible is written by man and cannot be trusted. To say that the Bible is the word of God is arrogance. Arrogance that man can even begin to comprehend a definitively omniscient force. It was not divinely inspired, because no matter how close you come to perfection, you will never attain perfection, and even if you believe God inspired man to write the Bible, it will always be tainted by the imperfection of man.

Everything that is good and right will still be good and right if there is no God.

Everything that is wrong, evil and ugly, will still be wrong, evil, and ugly even if there is a God.

Hold up. When you say everything, I'm assuming you mean everything. Because the statement "God exists" belongs to everything, you're saying that "God exists", a statement that is dependent on God's existence, obviously, would be good and right regardless of whether or not God exists- regardless of whether or not it would be true. Do you not consider truth to be a factor when determining whether or not something would be "good and right"?
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:00:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 9:48:24 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 10/27/2011 9:24:14 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 10/27/2011 9:15:48 PM, socialpinko wrote:
You haven't differentiated from weak and strong atheism. I am a weak atheist meaning I see no evidence for god. Neither i nor any other weak atheist, needs to explain their reasoning just like I wouldn't have to if you asked me why I didn't believe that Elvis is still alive. There is simply no evidence to the contrary.

You say you see no evidence for God as if you already know what to look for when it comes to finding evidence for God. But of cource that is false, so again, I ask, what are your reasons for being a 'weak atheist' as you so call it?

I've examined the theists alleged justifications including the ontological, cosmological, moral, and teleological arguments. In my opinion, they all fail for sufferer reasons. Therefore I see no reason. If a theist brings me an unrefutable argument, I might shift my beliefs but curretly see no reason to do so. Are you suggesting I should be an agnostic instead?

An agnostic ought to not be biased within this certain debate. No, I am wanting someone, anyone to step fourth and give good reasons that justify why they do not believe in God. I think that the only good evidence for atheism would be when and where nothing at all exists. Then nothing would exist to suggest that something made everything exist.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:01:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 9:58:07 PM, Rusty wrote:
At 10/27/2011 9:37:19 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I'm not an atheist, I'm an agnostic.

So let me say this. There is no evidence for God. There will never be any evidence for God. Even if there were evidence for God, we would not be able to know it or detect it, or identify it. If God exists, then God has absolutely no influence over this world outside of what we imagine or believe. Even if God exists, there is no reason to act any differently than if God does not exist.

The Bible is written by man and cannot be trusted. To say that the Bible is the word of God is arrogance. Arrogance that man can even begin to comprehend a definitively omniscient force. It was not divinely inspired, because no matter how close you come to perfection, you will never attain perfection, and even if you believe God inspired man to write the Bible, it will always be tainted by the imperfection of man.

Everything that is good and right will still be good and right if there is no God.

Everything that is wrong, evil and ugly, will still be wrong, evil, and ugly even if there is a God.

Hold up. When you say everything, I'm assuming you mean everything. Because the statement "God exists" belongs to everything, you're saying that "God exists", a statement that is dependent on God's existence, obviously, would be good and right regardless of whether or not God exists- regardless of whether or not it would be true. Do you not consider truth to be a factor when determining whether or not something would be "good and right"?

I'll amend that.

"Whether or not God exists, the answer will have no impact on how we live our lives".
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Mr.Infidel
Posts: 300
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:01:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
1) Problem of evil;
2) Contradictory attributes;
3) Problem of non-belief; and
4) Presuppositoon of atheism.
Please donate to the following ENDANGERED SPECIES!
Preciousness of life.
Family structure.
Family values. 

Disarm a liberal. Vote for values.

Opinions of this signature are those of G-d's and any of His affiliates.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:02:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 10:00:25 PM, GodSands wrote:
An agnostic ought to not be biased within this certain debate. No, I am wanting someone, anyone to step fourth and give good reasons that justify why they do not believe in God. I think that the only good evidence for atheism would be when and where nothing at all exists. Then nothing would exist to suggest that something made everything exist.

Agnostics aren't mediators in a war between theists and atheists. Agnostics disagree with theists for the same reason atheists disagree with theists. An atheist could take what I said, copy and paste it, and it would be just as strong an argument.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:04:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 10:00:25 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 10/27/2011 9:48:24 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 10/27/2011 9:24:14 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 10/27/2011 9:15:48 PM, socialpinko wrote:
You haven't differentiated from weak and strong atheism. I am a weak atheist meaning I see no evidence for god. Neither i nor any other weak atheist, needs to explain their reasoning just like I wouldn't have to if you asked me why I didn't believe that Elvis is still alive. There is simply no evidence to the contrary.

You say you see no evidence for God as if you already know what to look for when it comes to finding evidence for God. But of cource that is false, so again, I ask, what are your reasons for being a 'weak atheist' as you so call it?

I've examined the theists alleged justifications including the ontological, cosmological, moral, and teleological arguments. In my opinion, they all fail for sufferer reasons. Therefore I see no reason. If a theist brings me an unrefutable argument, I might shift my beliefs but curretly see no reason to do so. Are you suggesting I should be an agnostic instead?

An agnostic ought to not be biased within this certain debate. No, I am wanting someone, anyone to step fourth and give good reasons that justify why they do not believe in God. I think that the only good evidence for atheism would be when and where nothing at all exists. Then nothing would exist to suggest that something made everything exist.

Why do you equate belief with knowledge? It's obvious from my post that I have no belief in a god(weak atheism) but am not set on it's non-existence. While I don't know for sure that there is no god(since I'm not a strong atheist) I do not believe that one exists.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:05:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 9:53:07 PM, rogue wrote:
At 10/27/2011 9:08:37 PM, GodSands wrote:
Explain why you are an atheist, don't just say, "I see no evidence of God's existence.". Explain philosophically in good detail why you do not believe in God. Justify your reasons for being an atheist.

To be honest, I don't get atheism, not in an ignorant way, but in a sane, unique, logical way. Atheists say there is evidence against God, yet how can there be evidence against God if there is nothing like God to know what evidence against God is?

Go ahead, what are your justified reasons for being a open minded, free thinking atheist?

You really want me to type that long list of reasons in a list? I could begin by giving a simple probability answer. There are so many religions out there. They all say the rest are at least partially wrong. So is it more likely that one of them just happens to be right when none of them have more evidence than the next? Or is it more likely that they are all wrong?

Also God has never been able to prove itself. Unlikes science which can be proven to be right over and over again, people prove God in logical fallacies such as "the universe exists so it must have a creator", "the world is so complex so someone must have designed it", "we can't explain everything therefore what we can't explain must be the work of god." I assume you know how those are refuted if not I will do so.

Also many components of God do not logically fit with one another. The one that baffles me is that I think that God cannot be all-good, all-knowing, and all-powerful. At least not in the way it is portrayed. If God knows everything then it must know the future yes? If God knows the future and is all-powerful it can change the future yes? Therefore God must have known that creating Lucifer would lead to the damnation of mankind and wished this to happen. The only way I can rationalize this is by assuming that God damns no one and gave us good, evil, vices, and pain to make life more beautiful, exciting, and meaningful. Still from what I know, the Universalists were the only ones who believed something close to that.

This thread isn't dedicated in discussing religion, morality, ethics, and theology. I want raw, objective reasons why you do not believe in God.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:07:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 10:01:26 PM, Mr.Infidel wrote:
1) Problem of evil;
2) Contradictory attributes;
3) Problem of non-belief; and
4) Presuppositoon of atheism.

Are you willing to explain why these arguments provide evidence against God?
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:09:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
In this thread, we deny and dismiss all counterpoints for no good reason until we conclude that there are no arguments against what we believe.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:19:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 10:05:39 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 10/27/2011 9:53:07 PM, rogue wrote:
At 10/27/2011 9:08:37 PM, GodSands wrote:
Explain why you are an atheist, don't just say, "I see no evidence of God's existence.". Explain philosophically in good detail why you do not believe in God. Justify your reasons for being an atheist.

To be honest, I don't get atheism, not in an ignorant way, but in a sane, unique, logical way. Atheists say there is evidence against God, yet how can there be evidence against God if there is nothing like God to know what evidence against God is?

Go ahead, what are your justified reasons for being a open minded, free thinking atheist?

You really want me to type that long list of reasons in a list? I could begin by giving a simple probability answer. There are so many religions out there. They all say the rest are at least partially wrong. So is it more likely that one of them just happens to be right when none of them have more evidence than the next? Or is it more likely that they are all wrong?

Also God has never been able to prove itself. Unlikes science which can be proven to be right over and over again, people prove God in logical fallacies such as "the universe exists so it must have a creator", "the world is so complex so someone must have designed it", "we can't explain everything therefore what we can't explain must be the work of god." I assume you know how those are refuted if not I will do so.

Also many components of God do not logically fit with one another. The one that baffles me is that I think that God cannot be all-good, all-knowing, and all-powerful. At least not in the way it is portrayed. If God knows everything then it must know the future yes? If God knows the future and is all-powerful it can change the future yes? Therefore God must have known that creating Lucifer would lead to the damnation of mankind and wished this to happen. The only way I can rationalize this is by assuming that God damns no one and gave us good, evil, vices, and pain to make life more beautiful, exciting, and meaningful. Still from what I know, the Universalists were the only ones who believed something close to that.

This thread isn't dedicated in discussing religion, morality, ethics, and theology. I want raw, objective reasons why you do not believe in God.

Alright, come on now man. If you're not in the mood to talk about these things, that's one thing, but you specifically asked for atheists to explain themselves and, in a position where many could very easily turn this into a burden of proof thread (whether or not that's valid, that's not the point), they're actually engaging you and giving you examples, but now you're saying that you're outright dismissing anything that has to do with highly relevant disciplines.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also a theist and a Christian, but I don't start threads asking for people to supply justification and then proceed to say that I don't want to hear about any relevant subject.
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:32:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 10:05:39 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 10/27/2011 9:53:07 PM, rogue wrote:
At 10/27/2011 9:08:37 PM, GodSands wrote:
Explain why you are an atheist, don't just say, "I see no evidence of God's existence.". Explain philosophically in good detail why you do not believe in God. Justify your reasons for being an atheist.

To be honest, I don't get atheism, not in an ignorant way, but in a sane, unique, logical way. Atheists say there is evidence against God, yet how can there be evidence against God if there is nothing like God to know what evidence against God is?

Go ahead, what are your justified reasons for being a open minded, free thinking atheist?

You really want me to type that long list of reasons in a list? I could begin by giving a simple probability answer. There are so many religions out there. They all say the rest are at least partially wrong. So is it more likely that one of them just happens to be right when none of them have more evidence than the next? Or is it more likely that they are all wrong?

Also God has never been able to prove itself. Unlikes science which can be proven to be right over and over again, people prove God in logical fallacies such as "the universe exists so it must have a creator", "the world is so complex so someone must have designed it", "we can't explain everything therefore what we can't explain must be the work of god." I assume you know how those are refuted if not I will do so.

Also many components of God do not logically fit with one another. The one that baffles me is that I think that God cannot be all-good, all-knowing, and all-powerful. At least not in the way it is portrayed. If God knows everything then it must know the future yes? If God knows the future and is all-powerful it can change the future yes? Therefore God must have known that creating Lucifer would lead to the damnation of mankind and wished this to happen. The only way I can rationalize this is by assuming that God damns no one and gave us good, evil, vices, and pain to make life more beautiful, exciting, and meaningful. Still from what I know, the Universalists were the only ones who believed something close to that.

This thread isn't dedicated in discussing religion, morality, ethics, and theology. I want raw, objective reasons why you do not believe in God.

How much more raw an objective can you get? Not to mention that theists often use personal reasons for justifying belief in God. I actually typed all that out with good reasoning and you are gonna shy out that way? Really? Disbelieving or believing in god should never be simple. SOMEONE REFUTE MY ARGUMENTS PLEASE!
Johnicle
Posts: 888
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:34:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 9:08:37 PM, GodSands wrote:
Explain why you are an atheist, don't just say, "I see no evidence of God's existence.". Explain philosophically in good detail why you do not believe in God. Justify your reasons for being an atheist.

To be honest, I don't get atheism, not in an ignorant way, but in a sane, unique, logical way. Atheists say there is evidence against God, yet how can there be evidence against God if there is nothing like God to know what evidence against God is?

Go ahead, what are your justified reasons for being a open minded, free thinking atheist?

You're using the logical fallacy of Appeal to Ignorance. I.E. since I can not disprove the existence of God then he must be real.

You also use another logical fallacy when you say "Atheists say there is evidence against God". That's the fallacy of composition I.E. what is true of the part, is true of the whole. I would argue that there is evidence indicating the non-existence of a deity, but asking us to find evidence against something that does not exist is simply an impossible task (and the thing about atheists is that we are more rational than to simply think about Christianity. One argument that persuaded me is the fact that every culture has created religion. But since only one (or none) can be right, it seems illogical for you to point to yours and say disprove it when I look at all of them and say I can't disprove any of them! How, then, am I to conclude anything?!)

---Oh, and by the way, by you insinuating that either Christianity is right or atheism is right is another logical fallacy (False Dilemma)... I mean I know you're aware of other religions, but I hope you can at least agree that you haven't given them all a fair shake. I know I haven't.

That being said... to answer your question of 'why I'm an atheist.' Apart from my recognition that there is no evidence (that I accept) that indicates the existence of a God, I find that atheism makes me happy. I was miserable as a Christian... in constant fear of made up devils and demons. I always thought I was being tempted, when one day I woke up and realized it was all in my head. Greatest day of my life. As a result, I've spent the last few years of my life studying real moral theory, and ultimately, have found myself to be a morally better person because of it. Looking back now, I see how much of a contradiction I was as a Christian. An "advocate" for altruism who never bothered to help someone else other than to "pray" for them. Yeah, all the people I prayed for never got better (including myself). I prayed to become smarter, but never actually did until I sat down and did the work myself.

I now find parts of the mass to be morally despicable. Especially the parts when they read from the bible and treat poverty like a virtue just to drive away in their 20 grand cars while there are people on the street dying from preventable diseases. Or the part of the mass where someone reads everything wrong in the world and the congregation announces their obviously failing solution (prayer), rather than actually doing something about it themselves.

Ultimately, I'm an atheist because I believe in doing what's right, and being religious actually made that more difficult both for me, and for humanity in general. That's just something I can't support. If an all-knowing God can't see my honesty in that, then I think I didn't stand a chance to begin with.
Johnicle
Posts: 888
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:37:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 10:32:28 PM, rogue wrote:

How much more raw an objective can you get? Not to mention that theists often use personal reasons for justifying belief in God. I actually typed all that out with good reasoning and you are gonna shy out that way? Really? Disbelieving or believing in god should never be simple. SOMEONE REFUTE MY ARGUMENTS PLEASE!

No refutation here... <<High Five>>