After the debate

truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 10:13:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Consider the following:

A and B have a debate about topic x. Following the debate they each remain convinced of their own opinion.

I propose that, assuming they are of equivalent intelligence and integrity, there is no inherent logical reason for either one to believe that he is indeed more likely correct.

Your thoughts.
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 10:15:40 PM
You need to elaborate, I'm quite lost as to where you found this conclusion.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 10:27:02 PM
The fact that they are equally intelligent is irrelevant to the idea of belief. If the belief of being right was invalid, debate would be invalid.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 11:16:37 PM
At 10/30/2011 10:15:40 PM, 000ike wrote:
You need to elaborate, I'm quite lost as to where you found this conclusion.

In other words when you debate some one else of equal or greater intelligence.
If at the end of the day you still disagree, you have no reason to believe that you are more (likely) right then he.

This runs counter to the way we think. Normally we think I have my opinion and he has his. But if we are to look at it objectively there is no reason we should think that our opinion is (more) right over that of the other. Thus we should really remain in doubt eve if we still disagree.

I agree it is a weird idea but I think it may have some validity.

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 11:41:03 PM
There is no inherent logical reason for you to believe that to be correct.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 11:52:46 PM
At 10/30/2011 11:41:03 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

No one disagreed with it yet.:)

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 11:57:34 PM
At 10/30/2011 11:52:46 PM, truthseeker613 wrote:
At 10/30/2011 11:41:03 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

No one disagreed with it yet.:)

DetectableNinja did and so do I. Not to mention the millions of people who have performatively disagreed with it.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.