Jump to topic:

What philosophy have you read recently?

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 5:00:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Just curious where the interests of people lay and what sort of stuff people read.

The last cover to cover work I read was Bergson's Time and Free Will.

Recently I have read more out of a Continental philosophy reader I have; the last writer I looked at being Althusser.

So what is everybody reading?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 5:25:21 PM
Cover to cover? "Physicalism" by daniel stoljar and "what are we? A study in personal ontology" by eric olson. About to read "the waning of materialism" next. Kind of started a book on cognitive science of religion by justin barrett. In the past months i've been heavy into philosophy of mind.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 6:03:00 PM
Currently for school is Aristotle's Metaphysics.

On the side is Patricia Churchland's Braintrust and Blackwell Guide to Mill's Utilitarianism.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 11:08:51 PM
Reading the Satanic Bible. More philosophical than I had imagined though still pretty baseless.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 11:36:46 PM
At 11/3/2011 11:08:51 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Reading the Satanic Bible. More philosophical than I had imagined though still pretty baseless.

Is it just me or does a link show up from "Satanic Bible"?

Also, last book I read was from the great philosopher Glenn Beck.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 11:37:41 PM
At 11/3/2011 11:36:46 PM, darkkermit wrote:

What do you mean?
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 11:47:06 PM
At 11/3/2011 11:37:41 PM, socialpinko wrote:

What do you mean?

Never mind. I likely have some sort of malware on my computer. I wasn't sure If juggle implemented an advertisement scheme. The word Satanic Bible link to ebay If I click on it.
Open borders debate:
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 11:50:03 PM
At 11/3/2011 11:47:06 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 11/3/2011 11:37:41 PM, socialpinko wrote:

What do you mean?

Never mind. I likely have some sort of malware on my computer. I wasn't sure If juggle implemented an advertisement scheme. The word Satanic Bible link to ebay If I click on it.

Lol.
:
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 12:05:48 AM
Two Faces of Liberalism by John Gray among other things. Most of it sucks.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 9:54:56 AM

that book is awsome! read it in only 3 days.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 9:56:58 AM
Ive been reading Maoist essays and speaches by Bob Avakian and i'm almost done with Mein Kampf.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 10:52:12 AM
I'm reading Anarchy, State and Utopia (I just finished A Theory of Justice). I'm also reading various textbooks on political philosophy and economics in preparation for my university course (Politics, Philosophy and Economics).
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 11:47:55 AM
i just got done reading the republic, and am now reading the Antichrist by nietzsche
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 12:09:24 PM
At 11/2/2011 5:00:02 PM, Raisor wrote:
Just curious where the interests of people lay and what sort of stuff people read.

Recently I have read more out of a Continental philosophy reader I have; the last writer I looked at being Althusser.

I've never read a book on Philosophy... part of being an un-inspired realist, I suppose.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 12:15:50 PM
At 11/4/2011 12:09:24 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

I've never read a book on Philosophy... part of being an un-inspired realist, I suppose.

When asked if he thought the world around him existed or if it was just a figment of his or God's mind, a man responded "What do I care what's real, I'm a realist!". Lol wordplay.
:
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 12:32:17 PM
At 11/4/2011 12:15:50 PM, socialpinko wrote:

When asked if he thought the world around him existed or if it was just a figment of his or God's mind, a man responded "What do I care what's real, I'm a realist!". Lol wordplay.

As a realist, I don't see how any of that matters. And my outlook is not a simple play on words, simply because you or anyone else claims it to be so.

The world is what it is. Why waste time trying to find or to give it any more meaning than that?
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 12:43:20 PM
At 11/4/2011 12:32:17 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

As a realist, I don't see how any of that matters. And my outlook is not a simple play on words, simply because you or anyone else claims it to be so.

The world is what it is. Why waste time trying to find or to give it any more meaning than that?

You seem to be a pretty big pro-life advocate. No philosophy behind that? And I was just making a joke. It didn't mean anything.
:
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 12:53:52 PM

so then why are you pro life? I am assuming that you are a theist, (most lifers are)
so, theology and philosophy go hand in hand. philosophy helps bring the world along. If you feel like philosophy isn't important, why even be in this forum?
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 12:56:04 PM

I got the same feeling from it. although, once you get past the whole "I want to be scary" aspect of it, there are some deep and philosophical aspects to it.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 12:57:46 PM
At 11/4/2011 12:53:52 PM, lotus_flower wrote:

so then why are you pro life? I am assuming that you are a theist, (most lifers are)

Most people base their positions based on emotions and their own subjective value and moral system (which is emotive based an highly inconsistent) and rarely based on any moral system or philosophy system.
Open borders debate:
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 1:24:48 PM
At 11/4/2011 12:43:20 PM, socialpinko wrote:

You seem to be a pretty big pro-life advocate. No philosophy behind that? And I was just making a joke. It didn't mean anything.

If I oppose abortion for any phiolosophical reasons, I'm certainly not aware of them. And thanks for explaining your comments. Sarcasm and jokes are so easily mistaken in posts and forums like these.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 1:26:14 PM
At 11/4/2011 1:24:48 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
At 11/4/2011 12:43:20 PM, socialpinko wrote:

If I oppose abortion for any phiolosophical reasons, I'm certainly not aware of them. And thanks for explaining your comments. Sarcasm and jokes are so easily mistaken in posts and forums like these.

So you do not oppose it on pilosophical reasons but for emotive reasons?
Open borders debate:
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 1:30:05 PM

so, theology and philosophy go hand in hand. philosophy helps bring the world along. If you feel like philosophy isn't important, why even be in this forum?

Actually, if you ream my recent comment on my profile page, you will see that i do not call myself a "pro-life." And I'm not "anti-life" either...

Neither am I a Theist. I certainly don't oppose abortions for religious reasons.

Your last question is a good one.... I'm not sure what the answer is. It's not that I don't think phiolosophy in un-important though. maybe I'm wrong.... But i kind of thought that realism and being a realist would qualify in a way as an acceptable "phiolosophy."

No?

Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 1:31:29 PM
At 11/4/2011 12:57:46 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Most people base their positions based on emotions and their own subjective value and moral system (which is emotive based an highly inconsistent) and rarely based on any moral system or philosophy system.

If that is the case,. I'm certainly glad to be unlike 'Most people.'

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 1:34:34 PM
I am curious Chuz life for what reason you oppose abortion now.
:
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 1:34:46 PM
At 11/4/2011 1:26:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:

If I oppose abortion for any philosophical reasons, I'm certainly not aware of them. And thanks for explaining your comments. Sarcasm and jokes are so easily mistaken in posts and forums like these.

So you do not oppose it on philosophical reasons but for emotive reasons?

I don't oppose abortions for emotive reasons either.

My opposition to abortion is based solely on science and the already established laws and rules for our society. (namely, the Constitution)

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 1:35:59 PM
At 11/4/2011 1:34:46 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

If I oppose abortion for any philosophical reasons, I'm certainly not aware of them. And thanks for explaining your comments. Sarcasm and jokes are so easily mistaken in posts and forums like these.

My opposition to abortion is based solely on science and the already established laws and rules for our society. (namely, the Constitution)

The Constitution that forbids forced quartering and takings not for public use among other things?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 1:36:40 PM
At 11/4/2011 1:34:46 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

Surely though you have some (philosophical) reason for why society's established rules or the Constitution are valuable or useful at all.
: