Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Contradiction's Contradiction!

Mr.Infidel
Posts: 300
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 9:52:11 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Contradiction seems to believe in the Divine Command Theory and has defended it well http://www.debate.org...

However, there are a few contradictions. Namley, he needs to answer if secular philosophy can give us objective morality. Apparently, it can!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
In both of these debates, he defended is position well using SECULAR philosophy.

The question arises: Can objective morality exist without God? Apparently, I believe so.
Please donate to the following ENDANGERED SPECIES!
Preciousness of life.
Family structure.
Family values. 

Disarm a liberal. Vote for values.

Opinions of this signature are those of G-d's and any of His affiliates.
JustCallMeTarzan
Posts: 1,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 1:35:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/7/2011 11:03:22 AM, RFH wrote:
We can tell what is moral without God, but morality wouldn't exist without God.

You do realize this statement is nonsense... As though we would be able to engage in moral reasoning without the criteria with which to reason...

Tell me... if God appeared and told you it was morally upright to rape infants, would you consider that action moral or immoral?
RFH
Posts: 56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 9:10:27 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/8/2011 1:35:22 AM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
At 11/7/2011 11:03:22 AM, RFH wrote:
We can tell what is moral without God, but morality wouldn't exist without God.

You do realize this statement is nonsense... As though we would be able to engage in moral reasoning without the criteria with which to reason...

Excuse me. What I meant to say is: "We can tell what is moral without believing in God." And arguably, human nature would be the same without God. Morality is based on the immanent natures and final causes of things. For the most part, these natures and final causes can be determined without belief in God and (if God doesn't exist) these natures and final causes are still the same (obviously).

Now, of course, these natures and causes flow from the divine intellect, but that requires more argument.

At 11/8/2011 1:35:22 AM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
Tell me... if God appeared and told you it was morally upright to rape infants, would you consider that action moral or immoral?

What does that have to do with the question of whether or not we can determine objective morality with philosophy? (Actually, I'll save you the time it might take you to think about it and let you know that it's irrelevant to the question at issue.)
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 9:27:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/8/2011 1:35:22 AM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
At 11/7/2011 11:03:22 AM, RFH wrote:
We can tell what is moral without God, but morality wouldn't exist without God.

You do realize this statement is nonsense... As though we would be able to engage in moral reasoning without the criteria with which to reason...

Tell me... if God appeared and told you it was morally upright to rape infants, would you consider that action moral or immoral?

You do realize you're confusing moral ontology and moral epistemology, right?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
sadolite
Posts: 8,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 9:37:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
The secular community had it's chance to end incest on the Island of Hawaii among the natives. Why didn't they say anything? The secular community had it's chance to end cannibalism deep within the jungles, Why didn't they say anything? The secular community had it's chance to end slavery, Why didn't they say anything. The secular community had it's chance to end polygamy, Why didn't they say anything? On and On and On.....................................................
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 9:59:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yeah, I wish he'd just come out and say that the real reason he believes homosexuality is immoral is because the bible says so. His arguments are just fancy post-justifications.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 2:39:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/8/2011 9:59:38 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Yeah, I wish he'd just come out and say that the real reason he believes homosexuality is immoral is because the bible says so. His arguments are just fancy post-justifications.

Even when I was con gay marriage (undecided now) I always thought anti homosexuality arguments were generally weak. What you say right there was the only reason I was against it.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 4:21:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/7/2011 9:52:11 AM, Mr.Infidel wrote:
Contradiction seems to believe in the Divine Command Theory and has defended it well http://www.debate.org...

However, there are a few contradictions. Namley, he needs to answer if secular philosophy can give us objective morality. Apparently, it can!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
In both of these debates, he defended is position well using SECULAR philosophy.

The question arises: Can objective morality exist without God? Apparently, I believe so.

The irony is that if morality is based on god it would be subjective to gods whims.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
RFH
Posts: 56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 4:44:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/8/2011 4:21:30 PM, izbo10 wrote:
At 11/7/2011 9:52:11 AM, Mr.Infidel wrote:
Contradiction seems to believe in the Divine Command Theory and has defended it well http://www.debate.org...

However, there are a few contradictions. Namley, he needs to answer if secular philosophy can give us objective morality. Apparently, it can!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
In both of these debates, he defended is position well using SECULAR philosophy.

The question arises: Can objective morality exist without God? Apparently, I believe so.

The irony is that if morality is based on god it would be subjective to gods whims.

Only if you accept the theistic personalist conception of God and consider Him to be a being possessed of "whims."