Jump to topic:

Omniscience and Free Will

Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 1:04:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
A lot of theists believe that 'middle knowledge' solves the problem of divine foreknowledge and free will. Middle knowledge is God's knowledge of counterfactual statements like 'If X is put in situation Y, then X will do Z'. The idea is that God's knowledge of events like 'If person X is put in situation Y, X will freely bring about Z' - thus saving Libertarian free will. I have a question. Isn't the above situation the same as 'If person X is put in situation Y, X is determined to bring about Z' or am I missing something?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 3:22:09 PM
At 11/14/2011 1:04:45 PM, Kinesis wrote:
A lot of theists believe that 'middle knowledge' solves the problem of divine foreknowledge and free will. Middle knowledge is God's knowledge of counterfactual statements like 'If X is put in situation Y, then X will do Z'. The idea is that God's knowledge of events like 'If person X is put in situation Y, X will freely bring about Z' - thus saving Libertarian free will. I have a question. Isn't the above situation the same as 'If person X is put in situation Y, X is determined to bring about Z' or am I missing something?

It doesn't solve it as much as it attempts to argue for it circularly. The word "freely" exists from the beginning, presuming that free actions exist.
DevinKing
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 5:10:41 PM
At 11/14/2011 1:04:45 PM, Kinesis wrote:

--It actually doesn't solve anything. Because even if God knows what situation will bring about each reaction, God not only created the person to be the way they are, he made the situation whatever he wanted it to be.
After demonstrating his existence with complete certainty with the proposition "I think, therefore I am", Descartes walks into a bar, sitting next to a gorgeous priest. The priest asks Descartes, "Would you like a drink?" Descartes responds, "I think not," and then proceeds to vanish in a puff of illogic.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 5:50:25 PM
With omniscience, the myth of free will is broken.

Free will is an illusion caused by the human mind's inability to perceive everything.

The universe is deterministic. Everything is as it should be, and no there was no other possible outcome. We are over glorified flesh robots. The prideful will never accept this truth. The naive will have trouble swallowing it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp