Jump to topic:

Being politically correct...

lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 8:19:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
this is something that I have been processing on my mind for the past week or so, and I thought I would share it here. Just because someone's beliefs are considered "politically correct" does not mean that they are any less valid. A lot of the beliefs that I hold, (religion of a person is highly personal, and it is rude to question it, racist or bigoted terms should not be used, even if you feel that way, etc.)are considered PC, but if they weren't, then I would still hold them. Also, I have a lot of people tell me that a lot of my beliefs are held just because they they are held by the democratic party. But this, too, isn't true. if the republicans, tea partiers, or any other party held my beliefs, then I would claim that party. My beliefs form my party, not the other way around. If I am incorrect, please enlighten me.
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
Homo_Sacer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 11:53:23 AM
Logically, I believe I'm forced to agree. There is inherent in political correctness that invalidates a belief, it also seems that no belief is true because of its political correctness. We could, I suppose, formulate this more generally by saying that, for all propositions which are a member of set PC (i.e. the set of all politically correct beliefs), the truth-value of any particular proposition P is not affected by or contingent on membership in PC. Interesting observation, though: it does seem as though many beliefs are regarded as false in virtue of being politically correct; however, if one cannot claim truth through political correctness, one cannot claim falsity, either. We could imagine that "2 + 2 = 4" might be labeled a politically correct statement. We certainly would not claim, because this is a politically correct mathematical operation, that it is therefore incorrect.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 12:30:50 AM
I don't see what's wrong with political correctness anymore than too much of anything else.

Obviously I would prefer people to actually NOT be racist than politically correct, but if the alternative is rudeness and degradation then I'll take political correctness over that. Same goes for anything else people might be PC about. The people who try to make PC a dirty word just want an excuse to freely be bigots.
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 7:52:07 AM
exactly, both of you seem to be educated enough to understand this.
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 7:54:04 AM
http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 8:19:26 AM
At 12/6/2011 12:30:50 AM, nonentity wrote:
I don't see what's wrong with political correctness anymore than too much of anything else.

Obviously I would prefer people to actually NOT be racist than politically correct, but if the alternative is rudeness and degradation then I'll take political correctness over that. Same goes for anything else people might be PC about. The people who try to make PC a dirty word just want an excuse to freely be bigots.

PC is used to end all debate and discussion about anything that would be labeled PC. PC is the last word on anything. Period. PC is a form of tyranny.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 9:04:55 AM
At 12/6/2011 8:19:26 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 12/6/2011 12:30:50 AM, nonentity wrote:

PC is used to end all debate and discussion about anything that would be labeled PC. PC is the last word on anything. Period. PC is a form of tyranny.

no, that's religion.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 9:42:24 PM
At 12/5/2011 8:19:55 AM, lotus_flower wrote:
this is something that I have been processing on my mind for the past week or so, and I thought I would share it here. Just because someone's beliefs are considered "politically correct" does not mean that they are any less valid. A lot of the beliefs that I hold, (religion of a person is highly personal, and it is rude to question it, racist or bigoted terms should not be used, even if you feel that way, etc.)are considered PC, but if they weren't, then I would still hold them. Also, I have a lot of people tell me that a lot of my beliefs are held just because they they are held by the democratic party. But this, too, isn't true. if the republicans, tea partiers, or any other party held my beliefs, then I would claim that party. My beliefs form my party, not the other way around. If I am incorrect, please enlighten me.

I agree. My parents are always telling me that I'm believing in ways just to be politically correct, which is kinda funny because I'm against the minimum wage.