Jump to topic:

Interesting observation

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 11:30:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
A year ago, I played Day of Defeat: Source. There are two armies: Allied and Axis. I played the Axis.

During WWII, Hitler's soldiers were the actual murderers. They carried out his commands and made them happen. These soldiers were often as guilty as Hitler himself when it came to killing innocents.

So, for the sake of fun, I renamed my profile to "Hitler" and entered a game. Surprisingly, the German team saw my name and became outraged, and instantly called for a ban.

I was quite irritated by the fact that the Axis players would kick me. They play an army that was, overall, as bad as Hitler. In fact, he would get nothing alone. All his war achievements were due to this army. It was provoking that the players would not realize that by being named Hitler, it is no worse than playing an army that carried out every single one of his orders.

Any thoughts on this? I find it nonsensical.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 11:42:17 AM
You must have went on a stupid server. I used to play that game, and every name and zpray tag I had could have been considered offensive to some. I enjoy playing the Germans, they have cooler uniforms and I like their weapons.

Servers are privately owned, with different players. Go to a different server, I'd say.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 11:48:21 AM
At 12/14/2011 11:42:17 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
You must have went on a stupid server. I used to play that game, and every name and zpray tag I had could have been considered offensive to some. I enjoy playing the Germans, they have cooler uniforms and I like their weapons.

Servers are privately owned, with different players. Go to a different server, I'd say.
I don't have the game on my computer anymore; I had borrowed it from a friend.

I just find if incredibly ridiculous that those who play an army that made Hitler the bad historical person would find it offensive to be named Hitler in a game. It was pure idiocy.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 11:54:31 AM
But yeah, even though Hitler's power came from the people who believed in his authority, there comes a point where other means of coercion besides agreement lead to belief. Most wouldn't openly defy the man who just shot your neighbor, and is now pointing the gun at you.

From what I've read, most on the side of the Germans didn't believe tgey had the moral highground. Thiz is not good if you are looking for victory. German spies nearly always defected.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Rasheed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 1:00:08 PM
As Salaam Alaikuum Akee,

While I do understand that you were just playing a game there are some things that just have too much emotional baggage to take lightly. No one needs to be reminded of the horror that Adolf Hitler visited upon the jewish people, as well as others, and although it may just be lighthearted fun to you, it is deadly serious to them, and for that reason we should avoid such careless use of that monsters name.

Now, before I get jumped on, let us remember that many millions of people alive today have relatives that have lost their lives at the hands of that madman, and their loss should not be trivialized, especially by Muslims, who are taught to be an example.

Many groups have a sensitivity to some event or person, including we who are in the Islamic faith. It is highly offensive for anyone to draw a picture of the Holy Prophet (pbuh), and we do not excuse it being done simply because someone is playing a game about early Islamic conquests.

As an African American I would not find it funny if someone had a noose for a profile picture, even if we were playing a game about the Civil War.

The Great Famine is not funny to the Irish (which killed 1 million people), even in a game, Mao Ze-Dong (who killed 23 million people) is not funny to the Chinese or their descendents, and so forth.

The Holy Prophet, who should be the example to all Muslims, gives a wonderful example of how to be tolerant towards others, especially when they have suffered a tragedy.

"Once the Prophet was seated at some place in Madinah, along with his Companions. During this time a funeral procession passed by. On seeing this, the Prophet stood up. One of his companions remarked that the funeral was that of a Jew. The Prophet replied, "Was he not a human being?" (Sahîh Bukhârî, Sahîh Muslim, Sunan An-Nasâ'î)"
Say; He Allah (S.W.T.) is One God, He Begets not, nor is He begotten, and there is none like unto Him."
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 2:18:37 PM
A movie without any bad guys is like watching cottage cheese slide down the wall. These people make things interesting.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 3:10:09 PM
At 12/14/2011 1:00:08 PM, Rasheed wrote:
As Salaam Alaikuum Akee,
As.

While I do understand that you were just playing a game there are some things that just have too much emotional baggage to take lightly. No one needs to be reminded of the horror that Adolf Hitler visited upon the jewish people, as well as others, and although it may just be lighthearted fun to you, it is deadly serious to them, and for that reason we should avoid such careless use of that monsters name.

Now, before I get jumped on, let us remember that many millions of people alive today have relatives that have lost their lives at the hands of that madman, and their loss should not be trivialized, especially by Muslims, who are taught to be an example.

Many groups have a sensitivity to some event or person, including we who are in the Islamic faith. It is highly offensive for anyone to draw a picture of the Holy Prophet (pbuh), and we do not excuse it being done simply because someone is playing a game about early Islamic conquests.

As an African American I would not find it funny if someone had a noose for a profile picture, even if we were playing a game about the Civil War.

The Great Famine is not funny to the Irish (which killed 1 million people), even in a game, Mao Ze-Dong (who killed 23 million people) is not funny to the Chinese or their descendents, and so forth.

The Holy Prophet, who should be the example to all Muslims, gives a wonderful example of how to be tolerant towards others, especially when they have suffered a tragedy.

"Once the Prophet was seated at some place in Madinah, along with his Companions. During this time a funeral procession passed by. On seeing this, the Prophet stood up. One of his companions remarked that the funeral was that of a Jew. The Prophet replied, "Was he not a human being?" (Sahîh Bukhârî, Sahîh Muslim, Sunan An-Nasâ'î)"
I understand, but in this case the people are already having fun with evil, although virtual things. That's why I can't see why bearing the name for nothing but fun (which is the point with the game) is a problem. Why is being named Hitler worse than playing the army that made his name evil and abhorrent?
Rasheed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 4:13:00 PM
At 12/14/2011 3:10:09 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/14/2011 1:00:08 PM, Rasheed wrote:
As Salaam Alaikuum Akee,
As.

I understand, but in this case the people are already having fun with evil, although virtual things. That's why I can't see why bearing the name for nothing but fun (which is the point with the game) is a problem. Why is being named Hitler worse than playing the army that made his name evil and abhorrent?

Akee (Arabic for brother, for all you disbelievers), I understand your point, I truly do, but I know you can see how for some people playing the game naming yourself Hitler went just a little too far. It is tender spot, even if you are playing a game where someone about WWII, and someone is playing the Third Reich. It offended someone, is my point, and I'm not saying that we should be oversensitive, but a member of that site was offended. If you were Jewish and playing that game, and someone adopted the name Hitler, wouldn't you be offended? I know I would be.

That doesn't mean that you are a bad person or insensitive, there was just a blind spot that you weren't aware of before. I think that now you should not try to rationalize someone elses reality, we can only respect it and apologize for offending someone. That is just my opinion.
Say; He Allah (S.W.T.) is One God, He Begets not, nor is He begotten, and there is none like unto Him."
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 4:36:50 PM
I find your sympathy for the offended to be offensive. No joke.
Rasheed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 8:37:59 PM
At 12/14/2011 4:36:50 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

I find your offense at my sympathy to be offensive. No joke.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 9:29:58 PM
At 12/14/2011 8:37:59 PM, Rasheed wrote:
At 12/14/2011 4:36:50 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

I find your offense at my sympathy to be offensive. No joke.

Then you undoubtedly get where I'm coming from, dig?