Jump to topic:

psychology

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 4:39:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Psychology is one of those subjects that will make any honest person feel crazy if they study. It seems to paint any state of mind as being a disorder.

Doesn't it really depend on what is considered to be preferred? One shrink's psychopath is another's perfectly healthy individual. Psychological evaluations can be seen as nevative or positive...or they can be seen as just the way things are. Unfortunately, language and culture makes certain attributes nevatve that to other groups might seem desirable.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 8:14:41 PM
I don't understand what you're saying.

Yes, there are cultural differences that influence human behaviour and yes, the field of Psychology has struggled with definitions for what is considered 'normal' or 'abnormal' behaviour. And...?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 8:48:09 PM
My point is, you are mentally ill.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 5:36:02 PM
In the movie, 12 Monkeys, with Madeline Stowe, Brad Pitt, and Bruce Willis, Stowe offers a riveting line in the movie that details her discontent with the achille's heel within psychology (wish I could find the quote)... and that is the supposed infallibility of it, when it is very subjective.

One psych's diagnosis is anothers normative behavior, and often times their word is as good as gold. They get to play God with who is deemed sane or insane.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 7:39:40 PM
What sucks is once you're labelled "insane" your credibility is completely shot to hell. Your word means absolutely nothing. And the more you protest against it, the more insane you look. Haven't watched the movie you're talking about, Paradigm, but for me, Gothika comes to mind.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 7:44:05 PM
At 12/21/2011 7:39:40 PM, nonentity wrote:
What sucks is once you're labelled "insane" your credibility is completely shot to hell. Your word means absolutely nothing. And the more you protest against it, the more insane you look. Haven't watched the movie you're talking about, Paradigm, but for me, Gothika comes to mind.:

Indeed. 12 Monkey's comes highly recommended. Never seen Gothika, but if it's half as good as 12 Monkeys, it'll definitely be worth watching.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 8:09:56 PM
I can proudly say that I spent a month in a mental hospital, and the most they could say about me was that I thought rationally, but had viewpoints that are unorthodox or deviant from social norms.

They tried their damndest to corner me, but were completely unable to detect the psychic link I hold with our reptillian overlords.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 4:58:45 PM
Psychology will probably never be a truly objective science, not like any science can, but Psychology, like economics , will always be hotly contested because there is always be margins for errors, and the sheer lack of controlled experiments. IMHO.
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 10:41:21 PM
ONcE YOU'VE READ THE FIRST WORD OF THIS YOU CANT GET OUT. READ ON OR DIE TONIGHT AT 10:35 P.M.9 years ago a person named Jerry got dared to sleep in a house that was belived haunted.The next day his friends waited for him out side the house.................................... They had to go inside and search for him. They went through every room exept the attic.He wasn't supposed to sleep there. He was supposed to sleep in the living room they went into the attic. They saw Jerry's corpse and they just left because they were scared. But that night they all died because of their friend. He killed the...m all for making him sleep in that house
If you don't send this to 11 comments you will die tonight by Jerry. Example 1:
A man named Stewart Read this and didn't believe it. He shut off his computer and went through his day. That night while he was in bed he heard something outside of his door. He got up to look. And now he's dead. Example 2: A Girl named Haley Read this in the morning and she got scared but she didn't send it. She wanted to know if it was true. She went to school (She was only 13 years old) and that night she died.
If you don't post this on 11 comments tonight Jerry will 'visit stop
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2011 12:37:47 AM
At 12/24/2011 10:41:21 PM, Calvincambridge wrote:
ONcE YOU'VE READ THE FIRST WORD OF THIS YOU CANT GET OUT. READ ON OR DIE TONIGHT AT 10:35 P.M.9 years ago a person named Jerry got dared to sleep in a house that was belived haunted.The next day his friends waited for him out side the house.................................... They had to go inside and search for him. They went through every room exept the attic.He wasn't supposed to sleep there. He was supposed to sleep in the living room they went into the attic. They saw Jerry's corpse and they just left because they were scared. But that night they all died because of their friend. He killed the...m all for making him sleep in that house
If you don't send this to 11 comments you will die tonight by Jerry. Example 1:
A man named Stewart Read this and didn't believe it. He shut off his computer and went through his day. That night while he was in bed he heard something outside of his door. He got up to look. And now he's dead. Example 2: A Girl named Haley Read this in the morning and she got scared but she didn't send it. She wanted to know if it was true. She went to school (She was only 13 years old) and that night she died.
If you don't post this on 11 comments tonight Jerry will 'visit stop

wo0t read it at 10:37 pm. free and clear!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...