Jump to topic:

Universe=Brain Neuron ??

LeoL
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 7:38:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I read this interesting article that boggled my mind and raised many philosophical questions: http://www.disinfo.com...

What can this mean?
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? -Douglas Adams
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 8:38:03 PM
At 12/20/2011 7:38:36 PM, LeoL wrote:
I read this interesting article that boggled my mind and raised many philosophical questions: http://www.disinfo.com...

What can this mean?

Fractals are everywhere. We are a part of God's brain. It's all a coincidence. It's all a conspiracy. Stuff like that.

Though I think it more has to do with coincidences, if you ask me.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 4:29:13 PM

What can this mean?

Imagine a few decades from now, we will have outposts and colonies throughout the solar system: satellites, terraformed planets, etc. They will need Internet access of course.

Now, imagine a few centuries from now, we will have crafts far outside the solar system and perhaps even a few exoplanets inhabited. These will need Internet access as well.

Now imagine eons from now. You see where I'm going with this. As we (or what ever we are to become) progress into the future, more and more of the universe become connected. In a few million years, we may have the whole universe wired.

The fact that the universe already looks like it is wired up may be no coincidence. Those structures in the picture which look neuronal may, one day, be taken advantage of by future scientist, in order to create large Internet backbones. (I don't really know how though.)

However, my point is this. If the universe has a purpose, it may be to perform computations. In other words, the universe may be a self assembling computer. We can already see the beginnings of this assembling in our solar system (with our brains and our capacity to create other brains/computers and connect them together). Ray Kurzweil talks of a time when planets are converted entirely into computers (I haven't read Kurzweil and I hope I'm not misrepresenting him here).

So, in the end, the universe may be a self-assembling supercomputer. The assembly process takes a long time but that might not matter to its creator (or whatever).

It may be that God is tired of the poor performance of his old universe.

OK, I'm going to take my crazy medicine now.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
LeoL
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 5:26:02 PM
At 12/21/2011 4:29:13 PM, vbaculum wrote:

What can this mean?

Imagine a few decades from now, we will have outposts and colonies throughout the solar system: satellites, terraformed planets, etc. They will need Internet access of course.

Now, imagine a few centuries from now, we will have crafts far outside the solar system and perhaps even a few exoplanets inhabited. These will need Internet access as well.

Now imagine eons from now. You see where I'm going with this. As we (or what ever we are to become) progress into the future, more and more of the universe become connected. In a few million years, we may have the whole universe wired.

The fact that the universe already looks like it is wired up may be no coincidence. Those structures in the picture which look neuronal may, one day, be taken advantage of by future scientist, in order to create large Internet backbones. (I don't really know how though.)

However, my point is this. If the universe has a purpose, it may be to perform computations. In other words, the universe may be a self assembling computer. We can already see the beginnings of this assembling in our solar system (with our brains and our capacity to create other brains/computers and connect them together). Ray Kurzweil talks of a time when planets are converted entirely into computers (I haven't read Kurzweil and I hope I'm not misrepresenting him here).

So, in the end, the universe may be a self-assembling supercomputer. The assembly process takes a long time but that might not matter to its creator (or whatever).

It may be that God is tired of the poor performance of his old universe.

OK, I'm going to take my crazy medicine now.

What if, just pondering, our universe is a neuron in another beings brain. I know this sounds crazy, but think about it. That would mean that this being lived in a universe, that is the neuron in a bigger beings brain. Furthermore, our brain has many neurons, so our neurons would be universes. In these universes, there would be beings who also have neurons. And it goes on in both directions. This is crazy talk, but wow it's interesting. That would mean that basically, everyone on this earth is just a little tiny part of a bigger brains neuron. So we are basically one. And all this to say, my final thought: Everything is everything.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? -Douglas Adams
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 4:02:15 PM
There are many similarities between the micro-world and the macro-world, however, this doesn't mean they are the same, just on a different scale, I do believe it is possible that the whole universe as we know it may be a mere elementary particle of a bigger world, but I have to disagree with this.

I didn't know that brain neurons could look like galaxies and similar creations and find this really fascinating, but the two are very different. Galaxies are made of plasma, mostly hydrogent etc. while a brain neuron is composed of different molecules that create a cell.

It is still very interesting.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac