Total Posts:2|Showing Posts:1-2
Jump to topic:

Locke's Social Contract and State of Nature

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 3:06:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Would it be correct to state, in description of John Locke's theories of the social contract and state of nature, the following?

1. Individuals come together in a society, giving up freedoms in exchange for protection of rights (specifically, life, liberty, and estate/property). A social contract is thus formed between the individuals and the government.
2. A government's power comes from the consent of those it governs.
4. When a government fails to enforce its laws, it is effectively illegitimate and the social contract is broken.[1]
4. When the social contract is broken, the members of the society return to a state of nature.[1]
5. Vigilantism (in Locke's eyes) is justified in the state of nature.[2]

Please mention any elements of his theories I have neglected, any false statements, and any claims believed not to have been covered by any sources I suggest. If I did not cite a source for a claim and you believe I need one, do not hesitate to tell me. I believe the first four claims are fairly uncontroversial, but I might do well to have more sources.

I preemptively extend a "thank you" to anyone who answers my question(s) in good faith. I can (probably) provide further details upon request.

[1] Paragraph one of

[2] Page 147 of
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 1:19:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.