Jump to topic:

Music, psychological implications

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 11:26:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Why is it I rarely see or hear anyone ever connect together music and personality, and often deny that such connection exist. Music is an expression of the consciousness, a manifestation of emotion and tendencies. It only seems logical that some kinds of personalities will identify with certain forms of music.

I found this test: http://www.outofservice.com...

Take it and see how accurate it is.

for me I got: "People with low scores on the fun and simple music-preference dimension tend to introverted, unconventional, and artistic. When it comes to morals and values, chances are that they lean toward the liberal side, and consider beauty and inner harmony important principles in life. When selecting a movie to watch, they prefer suspense movies, cult movies, or foreign films."

lol pretty accurate, except for that last movie part.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 11:27:34 PM
The one I posted is my score, this is the actual link. http://www.outofservice.com...
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 10:02:53 AM
eh. they have people take a test of music preferences along with a short big 5 questionaire and then correlate the results. maybe i am just weird, but my music tastes don't seem to match up with the personality traits they want to attribute to me. once they start in on the "people who like music like this are usually extroverted" i generally stop reading :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 11:30:53 AM
According to that quiz, I'm a gentle loving person. lolz
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 3:08:01 PM
100% agree with, you here. I made a similar topic a while back elaborating this very point.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 3:24:59 PM
My results: http://www.outofservice.com...

Its inaccurate though because it says I like practically no reflective, complex music yet one of my favorite genres underground hip hop is reflective and complex. The test didn't take that into account.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 3:33:33 PM
http://www.outofservice.com...

The only one I particularly disagree with is the first "Reflective/Complex." I'm any anything but a physically active person, and I'm semi-traditional.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2012 4:01:34 PM

Lol. The test contradicts itself. On one category it says I'm a liberal, and on another it says I'm a conservative.
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2012 4:04:07 PM
At 1/4/2012 4:01:34 PM, MasterKage wrote:

Lol. The test contradicts itself. On one category it says I'm a liberal, and on another it says I'm a conservative.

The test asserts nothing of what you are. What it describes are the political tendencies of certain tastes in music. You can also have the personality of the typical liberal, but the political belief of the conservative. Its not an inherent contradiction.
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2012 4:09:09 PM
At 1/4/2012 4:04:07 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 1/4/2012 4:01:34 PM, MasterKage wrote:

The test asserts nothing of what you are. What it describes are the political tendencies of certain tastes in music. You can also have the personality of the typical liberal, but the political belief of the conservative. Its not an inherent contradiction.

Eh, this test is completely flawed. The type of music a person listens to does not determine their political standings.
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2012 10:22:47 PM
According to my score:

1. I am very reflective and complex and "to be open to new experiences, creative, intellectual, and enjoy trying new things".

This is partially true; I do want to change, but such changes are limited more to what I plan to do for studying for a test (AP global, SAT, and so on). But then again, my entire-after school life can be dedicated to such a study (in the new year).

2. I am apparently not every edgy (though some topics such as conspiracy theories, pseudoscience, and clearly fallacious historical denialism/revionism (the two aren't necessarily equal).

An interesting point: "When they're not listening to music, watching television, or reading a book, they probably enjoy watching a dramatic movie, major motion picture, romance movie, or classic film."

This is somewhat true...I tend to read books (textbooks and review books now, lol) and listen to music but for the majority. I am very ignorant of movies, though my experiences of watching Reel-13 were quite enjoyable....

3. Hmm...I'm not very fun and simple. In real-life--as opposed to my activities with Izbo10 on DDO--I'm rather serious. ...

4. "People with low scores on the energetic and upbeat music-preference dimension tend to be introverted, less assertive than the average person, and detail oriented." Unfortunately, the test does contradict itself, and its reliability is somewhat undermined by the fact that I do not hold any firm political belief so far.....

A nice test but I'd prefer judging people's personalities from their actions not from the music they listen to or their preferences....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2012 10:23:07 PM
Oh, and http://www.outofservice.com... as my scores.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau