Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

The "It could be worse" Argument

OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 3:55:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
For those that don't known the ICBW argument is that, whenever someone demands better, someone says,"It could be worse."

So, whats your opinion on it?

Is it a good argument?

Should it be used?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 4:15:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
In a situation where you are with limited options. It is logical to take the best however flawed. In that case, the argument makes sense. It does not make sense however, to say it could be worse when you have clear opportunities to make it even better.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 4:19:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/6/2012 4:15:48 PM, 000ike wrote:
In a situation where you are with limited options. It is logical to take the best however flawed. In that case, the argument makes sense. It does not make sense however, to say it could be worse when you have clear opportunities to make it even better.

This.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 11:41:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The argument isn't an argument at all. All the ICBW argument addresses is one's outlook on events. It doesn't argue argue in any way what one should do in any situation or what the ideal situation would consist of. I wouldn't go as far as to call it an argument, more like an informal truism. It could be formulated like "Any scenario or state of affairs could conceivably be worse off." Again though its not an argument since it doesn't actually argue anything, but states a semi-logical outlook on the desirability of affairs.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 8:40:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
"It could be better". Both sides could go on forever like that without presenting any real arguments. Everything could be worse and everything could be better. I think it's a terrible argument. Just because something "could" be doesn't mean it "should" be.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 2:52:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The "it could be worse" argument focuses on the fact just because it could possibly be worse, we should accept what is currently given to us. This is absurd. When there is any possibility for improvement, it should be taken. Not simply disregarded because other people are doing worse than you. As one of my favourite quotes go: "Strive for the stars, no matter what other people are doing". If it can be better, make it better.

If the situation presents itself that it cannot physically be better, then this argument is valid. However, a situation like this is highly unlikely (if not impossible).
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 2:59:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am glad that all of you are posting this because ICBW is a standard conservative argument. I will be personally holding this against all of you :)
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 3:13:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 2:59:45 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I am glad that all of you are posting this because ICBW is a standard conservative argument. I will be personally holding this against all of you :)

um, I posted this cause you said it so......fail?

And since when is it a conservative argument?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 3:20:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 2:59:45 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I am glad that all of you are posting this because ICBW is a standard conservative argument. I will be personally holding this against all of you :)

Conservatives always strive to reach as high as possible and accomplish as much as possible. Liberals, on the other hand seem very happy with what they have right now, striving to make no changes. This argument is from the liberal side, not the conservative side.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Chrysippus
Posts: 2,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 3:25:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 3:20:42 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 1/9/2012 2:59:45 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I am glad that all of you are posting this because ICBW is a standard conservative argument. I will be personally holding this against all of you :)

Conservatives always strive to reach as high as possible and accomplish as much as possible. Liberals, on the other hand seem very happy with what they have right now, striving to make no changes. This argument is from the liberal side, not the conservative side.

...

(beats head in with a dictionary)
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 3:28:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 3:25:26 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
At 1/9/2012 3:20:42 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 1/9/2012 2:59:45 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I am glad that all of you are posting this because ICBW is a standard conservative argument. I will be personally holding this against all of you :)

Conservatives always strive to reach as high as possible and accomplish as much as possible. Liberals, on the other hand seem very happy with what they have right now, striving to make no changes. This argument is from the liberal side, not the conservative side.

...

(beats head in with a dictionary)

So....you disagreed I assume?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Chrysippus
Posts: 2,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 3:39:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 3:28:42 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 1/9/2012 3:25:26 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
At 1/9/2012 3:20:42 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 1/9/2012 2:59:45 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I am glad that all of you are posting this because ICBW is a standard conservative argument. I will be personally holding this against all of you :)

Conservatives always strive to reach as high as possible and accomplish as much as possible. Liberals, on the other hand seem very happy with what they have right now, striving to make no changes. This argument is from the liberal side, not the conservative side.

...

(beats head in with a dictionary)

So....you disagreed I assume?

I don't know where to start.

This is an extraordinarily wrong definition of both sides.

Conservatives defend traditional moral values, impeding progress in an effort to prevent moral decay. Change from the old and tried is the antithesis of conservatism. Liberals defend social liberties at the expense of tradition; the stress is on social change.

I don't see how LK's statement could have been more incorrect.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 4:59:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 3:39:25 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
At 1/9/2012 3:28:42 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 1/9/2012 3:25:26 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
At 1/9/2012 3:20:42 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 1/9/2012 2:59:45 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I am glad that all of you are posting this because ICBW is a standard conservative argument. I will be personally holding this against all of you :)

Conservatives always strive to reach as high as possible and accomplish as much as possible. Liberals, on the other hand seem very happy with what they have right now, striving to make no changes. This argument is from the liberal side, not the conservative side.

...

(beats head in with a dictionary)

So....you disagreed I assume?

I don't know where to start.

This is an extraordinarily wrong definition of both sides.

Conservatives defend traditional moral values, impeding progress in an effort to prevent moral decay. Change from the old and tried is the antithesis of conservatism. Liberals defend social liberties at the expense of tradition; the stress is on social change.

I don't see how LK's statement could have been more incorrect.

Lolz. I didn't mean in the sense of modern vs historical.

I meant it in the sense of economic policies. Conservatives, in general, support a free market capitalist system. This type of system rewards the person who tries the hardest and who strives to succeed. Liberals, in general, support a more socialist economic policy with the government responsible for providing for the people, not the people the people providing for themselves.

BTW, "incorrect" is an absolute statement. It is wrong to put a "more" in front of it.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 10:25:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 2:59:45 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I am glad that all of you are posting this because ICBW is a standard conservative argument. I will be personally holding this against all of you :)

One conservative posted against the ICBW argument before you posted this. The others were two liberals and an anarchist.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.