Jump to topic:

Are Concepts Transcendant?

SuburbiaSurvivor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 12:14:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Can concepts exist without a mind to perceive them?

Your thoughts, por favor.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 1:07:13 PM
Before we can form concepts there needs to be definitions. If there are no minds to do that the question of whether square circles can exist absent minds is meaningless.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 1:18:34 PM
Concepts are neural patterns in the brain. Patterns are just information. Information can be stored in many different types of media. So yes, concepts can exist independent of brains.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 3:37:12 PM
I think so. Mathematics is a concept that exists whether or not there are minds to perceive them. If all lie ended one plus one would still equal two.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 4:01:48 PM
At 1/13/2012 3:37:12 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
I think so. Mathematics is a concept that exists whether or not there are minds to perceive them. If all *lie ended one plus one would still equal two.

*life
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 6:30:00 PM
Concepts only exist on the virtual level. They are parameters that require interpretation.

Concepts are not objectively real, they can not exist without a subjective vantage point.

Mathematics itself is a grid, a concept, and no, it isn't real. It aligns pretty close to the way things are, but nowhere in nature are you going to find any two ones that are identical.

One, none, and infinity can be the same thing.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
SuburbiaSurvivor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 7:22:43 PM
This is something I've just started thinking about. But let's look at it this way: What if concepts are metaphysical? For example, assuming a concept does not exist until there is a mind to perceive it, then how could a concept come into existence at all? Are ideas things we create, or things we discover?

I'm not really trying to debate this, or prove concepts are or aren't. I haven't studied much philosophy. I'm interested in people's thoughts, though. Both for and against.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 8:07:52 PM
At 1/13/2012 12:14:38 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
Can concepts exist without a mind to perceive them?

No.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:33:16 AM
Nothing can exist without a mind to perceive it in any way that "exist" can be understood by a perceiving mind.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord