Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

The Open Mind Challenge

CGBSpender
Posts: 82
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 8:21:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://www.facebook.com...

Here is a facebook group I think anyone truly committed to debate would enjoy. It involves examining your own beliefs proposition by proposition, establishing what premises are necessary in order to hold those beliefs and repeating the process until one gets to a brute fact or unquestionable truth. Once a person gets to that point they debate it on the group. It's a good exercise in self-analysis.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:31:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
If anyone truly followed their beliefs to their roots, they would become reduced to a vegetable.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:33:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/15/2012 1:31:10 AM, FREEDO wrote:
If anyone truly followed their beliefs to their roots, they would become reduced to a vegetable.

... nihilism?
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 1:56:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/15/2012 1:33:04 AM, M.Torres wrote:
At 1/15/2012 1:31:10 AM, FREEDO wrote:
If anyone truly followed their beliefs to their roots, they would become reduced to a vegetable.

... nihilism?

Quack.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 2:20:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/15/2012 1:31:10 AM, FREEDO wrote:
If anyone truly followed their beliefs to their roots, they would become reduced to a vegetable.

I disagree for the sole reason that beliefs are not necessarily things that you follow.

Beliefs can have nothing to do with behavior.

When you question everything, you get past the arbitrary "oughts" and "ought nots". If you delve into what one should do, it is more a prediction of the best route to achieve subjectively determined goals.

You can not be totally objective without taking subjectivity into account. Understanding that everything is pointless, stupid, and that you don't know anything is not the end of the line. There are still mental constructs and assumptions about the nature of reality that need to be examined.

If you are a nihilist, and belief you shouldn't
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 2:22:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hard to edit text on pgone. Last line sgould be....

If you are a nihilist who does nothing because you believe it to be meaningless, that speaks volumes about what drives and motivates you.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp