Jump to topic:

Is there a name for this belief

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 7:42:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Is there a name for the belief an individual holds where they view themselves as the only REAL person, and everyone else is just an illusion/figment of their imagination?

I dont hold this belief, but it's a thought I've always entertained.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 7:46:47 PM
At 1/16/2012 7:42:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
Is there a name for the belief an individual holds where they view themselves as the only REAL person, and everyone else is just an illusion/figment of their imagination?

We have been discovered. Initiating termination sequence.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 7:47:43 PM
At 1/16/2012 7:46:47 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

We have been discovered. Initiating termination sequence.

LOL.

Blackvoid I think we should be best friends.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 7:49:33 PM

Solipsism ( /ˈsɒlɨpsɪzəm/) is the philosophical idea that only one's own mind, alone, is sure to exist. The term comes from Latin solus (alone) and ipse (self). Solipsism as an epistemological position holds that knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure. The external world and other minds cannot be known, and might not exist outside the mind. As a metaphysical position, solipsism goes further to the conclusion that the world and other minds do not exist.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 7:49:55 PM

I want to say solipsism...
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 7:50:49 PM
Also, there was a thread on something like this earlier. It discussed whether or not you can determine whether or not the people around you are figments of your imagination or robots.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2012 7:51:18 PM
At 1/16/2012 7:49:33 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Solipsism ( /ˈsɒlɨpsɪzəm/) is the philosophical idea that only one's own mind, alone, is sure to exist. The term comes from Latin solus (alone) and ipse (self). Solipsism as an epistemological position holds that knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure. The external world and other minds cannot be known, and might not exist outside the mind. As a metaphysical position, solipsism goes further to the conclusion that the world and other minds do not exist.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...

Thank you!! :)
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 2:16:15 AM
Solipsism has always fascinated me, and when I discovered incidently that it had a name I was quite excited :)

As was also mentioned before, The Matrix is based upon solipsist principles. Although there are other minds in the movie, the idea that you could have your five senses diverted, thus totally fooling you, is both extremely fascinating (disturbing?) and also quite impossible to disprove.

In solipsism as I understand it, you are the only conscious person and we are figments of your imagination, or perhaps data being fed to you. If we can learn more about what consciousness really is, then perhaps we can defeat solipsism. The best idea I've heard so far (Freedo posted a video on here last year about it) is that consciousness is an elementary particle of some sort, present in all matter but enhanced in life (ultimately, of course, in humans). I would imagine that when we understand physics enough to create life, we will find that what we are actually working with consciousness itself.
Rob
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 6:33:50 PM
The matrix is more based on the "brain in vats" thought experiment. [1]

The messed up thing with the matrix is when you come out of the matrix are you really out of the matrix or is that just the matrix tricking you thinking you are outside the matrix but you are still in it ? So maybe now you realize it was a trick, and you come out of the matrix for real this time.........oh o, wait, maybe you have been tricked again your still in the matrix !!! If you come out of the matrix you can never be sure you really are out of the matrix.

So sure brain in vats and solipsism are always fun to argue but in the end fail on a practical point, how exactly does one put this into practice. Vote for me as your next president and you people don't really exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 7:24:55 PM
At 1/17/2012 6:33:50 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
The matrix is more based on the "brain in vats" thought experiment. [1]

The messed up thing with the matrix is when you come out of the matrix are you really out of the matrix or is that just the matrix tricking you thinking you are outside the matrix but you are still in it ? So maybe now you realize it was a trick, and you come out of the matrix for real this time.........oh o, wait, maybe you have been tricked again your still in the matrix !!! If you come out of the matrix you can never be sure you really are out of the matrix.

So sure brain in vats and solipsism are always fun to argue but in the end fail on a practical point, how exactly does one put this into practice. Vote for me as your next president and you people don't really exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Well, *technically*, the Matrix did answer that question through three things: the absence of computer programs, the presence of physical machines that attacked them, and their inability to hack their state of being.

...which would also be the answer to solipsism. It suggests that you know everything there is that exists; or, at least, that you have the capacity to, as you would have made it all up yourself. Therefore, learning, surprises, and interaction with consciousness that reflects an existence equally similar and dissimilar to your own should be impossible.

...however. I have no answer for the vat experiment, as of yet. That very well may be. Of course, whatever would be engaging that experiment would have a capacity well beyond our understanding.

You know. Like God.