Problems with the Golden Rule

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 1:29:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/20/2012 1:28:42 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Are there problems with the Golden Rule and the Silver Rule?

What are the Golden and Silver Rule?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 1:43:46 AM
At 1/20/2012 1:29:34 AM, OberHerr wrote:

Golden Rule- Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

Silver Rule- Do unto others, then run.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 1:47:46 AM
I highly believe in the Golden Rule. We should treat others as we wish to be treated.

I'm also a sadomasochist. There is nothing more erotic to me than being stabbed repeatedly.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 2:19:43 AM
At 1/20/2012 1:47:46 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I highly believe in the Golden Rule. We should treat others as we wish to be treated.

I'm also a sadomasochist. There is nothing more erotic to me than being stabbed repeatedly.

Did you get that from Hitchens? He said something so similar once but I can't remember where. I'd love to have the clip.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 2:22:55 AM

Typical criticism of the golden rule.

However, a sound version of the golden rule isnt action based, but rather intention based and consequence base. We cant always know what people deem to be undesirable, but that lack of knowledge doesnt mean that the golden rule isnt a good principle to abide by.

Btw, no one wants to be stabbed. Sadomasochists like tolerable pain.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 11:30:12 AM
At 1/20/2012 2:22:55 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Typical criticism of the golden rule.

However, a sound version of the golden rule isnt action based, but rather intention based and consequence base. We cant always know what people deem to be undesirable, but that lack of knowledge doesnt mean that the golden rule isnt a good principle to abide by.

Btw, no one wants to be stabbed. Sadomasochists like tolerable pain.

OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 11:37:02 AM
Well, it just projects our own preferences onto other people uniformly. It might be good for general situations but one rule is not sufficient to cover the entire field of ethics.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 12:49:19 PM
I think most of these criticisms sort of miss the deeper meaning of the Golden Rule.

The golden rule is found across many cultures in different formulations, but I think most of us are familiar with it in the context of the Bible.

The Golden Rule isn't a literal maxim a la Kant- a law that defines what a good action is and what a good action isnt. It is a guiding principle meant for people who are truly interested in leading good lives. It is moral instruction meant to be thought about in terms of what it means to be good.

The Golden Rule can be thought of as just one formulation of the general principle of equality and symmetry of ethical actions. It says "All these people you interact with- they are the same as you. You are all humans and are all valuable. Treat each other as such." It sas that you should value the will and desires of other people just as you value your own will and desires.

I think when you look at different formulations of the Golden Rule in different cultures, this interpretation is generally common to all of them.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 9:21:56 PM
At 1/20/2012 12:49:19 PM, Raisor wrote:
I think most of these criticisms sort of miss the deeper meaning of the Golden Rule.

The golden rule is found across many cultures in different formulations, but I think most of us are familiar with it in the context of the Bible.

The Golden Rule isn't a literal maxim a la Kant- a law that defines what a good action is and what a good action isnt. It is a guiding principle meant for people who are truly interested in leading good lives. It is moral instruction meant to be thought about in terms of what it means to be good.

The Golden Rule can be thought of as just one formulation of the general principle of equality and symmetry of ethical actions. It says "All these people you interact with- they are the same as you. You are all humans and are all valuable. Treat each other as such." It sas that you should value the will and desires of other people just as you value your own will and desires.

I think when you look at different formulations of the Golden Rule in different cultures, this interpretation is generally common to all of them.

Wow. Was just about to post a criticism of the golden rule based off of assymterical interests but your post actually makes sense. I have been disarmed. Good day sir.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 9:31:22 PM
At 1/20/2012 1:43:46 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 1/20/2012 1:29:34 AM, OberHerr wrote:

Golden Rule- Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

Silver Rule- Do unto others, then run.

Hmm I tried to send you a PM but couldn't. This is sort of off topic, but I'm currently reading Theodore Millon's book on personality disorders, and I remember you saying you've done extensive research on anti-social personality disorder.

I came across a quote from a case study of a "psychopath" that made me think of you: "Do unto other before they do unto you" LOL
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 9:37:31 PM

You've contradicted yourself, unless you're declaring that being good has nothing to do with one's actions.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 9:38:28 PM
Furthermore, if you can't speak literally you shouldn't speak.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 10:56:24 PM
At 1/20/2012 9:38:28 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Don't talk about quantum physics then?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 10:59:14 PM
At 1/20/2012 12:49:19 PM, Raisor wrote:

Love your neighbor as you love yourself.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 12:59:46 PM

Putting aside the fact that what exactly it means to "speak literally" or to "literally interpret" is in itself a convoluted philosophical problem...

Literary technique like metaphor and allegory exist because they are extraordinarily effective means of communication. That is why Shakespeare and Vonnegut and Poe are highly regarded as writers- they have the ability to move readers, create vivid stories, and communicate complicated ideas. Considering that Jesus wasnt writing an ethical tract, he was preaching to common people and wanted to bring about an understanding and conviction, it makes sense for him to speak in whatever way most effectively communicates his position.

Furthermore, almost every major philosopher argues using analogy (at least I cant think of one that doesnt- maybe Spinoza?) or at least uses analogy to clarify their argument or make it more intuitive. So man, I guess 99% of Western philosophers, from Plato to Hume to Nozick, just shouldnt speak.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 1:06:07 PM
At 1/20/2012 9:37:31 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

You've contradicted yourself, unless you're declaring that being good has nothing to do with one's actions.

There are plenty of moral systems that dont define "being good" in terms of maxims. You don't need maxim-based ethics in order to relate being good to actions. Examples would be virtue ethics, the faith based salvation of Christianity, and emotivism.

So I don't believe I have contradicted myself. Jesus was intending to communicate what our fundamental outlook about other people should be, this outlook is crucial to understanding ourselves and others and how we relate and so it is crucial for treating each other ethically. What is important isn't that we treat the Golden Rule like a law, checking off actions as good or bad if they slip through loopholes, what is important is the the understanding it gives as a general principle.

This is a topic I would not mind debating.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 1:12:48 PM
Raisor's post about the principles behind the Golden Rule is correct.

The Golden Rule has been codified as the ethical philosophy known as contractarianism. I suggest reading Gauthier if you are interested in it. Basically, the main criticism against it is that individuals may not have an interest in dealing in a symmetrical manner with others because they have an advantage in terms of bargaining position, meaniing that as long as we agree that the disadvantaged party does not have to follow any contract as well, we can do as we please to them. Slavery is a prime example of this.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 1:17:30 PM
Here is a problem with the Golden Rule:

If somebody is a jerk, let's say person A, then person B should also act like a jerk since you are supposed to treat others how you want them to treat you. However, then person B is a jerk, and then person A is a jerk, and if person A tries to be nice, they will be a jerk if they follow the golden rule because person B will still be a jerk.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 2:34:49 PM
At 1/20/2012 10:56:24 PM, Indophile wrote:

If quantum physicists indeed can't speak literally :)

Literary technique like metaphor and allegory exist because they are extraordinarily effective means of communication.
You'll notice I didn't say "Always speak literally," merely "If you can't speak literally you shouldn't speak."

That is why Shakespeare and Vonnegut and Poe are highly regarded as writers
They wrote fiction. Their purpose was to entertain, not make coherent philosophy.

Considering that Jesus wasnt writing an ethical tract, he was preaching to common people and wanted to bring about an understanding and conviction, it makes sense for him to speak in whatever way most effectively communicates his position.
Contradiction. If you are writing to bring about both understanding and conviction in ethics, your purpose is that of an "ethical tract."

Furthermore, almost every major philosopher argues using analogy
Again... You'll notice I didn't say "Always speak literally," merely "If you can't speak literally you shouldn't speak."

There are plenty of moral systems that dont define "being good" in terms of maxims. You don't need maxim-based ethics in order to relate being good to actions. Examples would be virtue ethics, the faith based salvation of Christianity, and emotivism.
A virtuous person will follow certain principles (I don't know why you're using the term "maxim.") Throwing aside one's mind in the name of a sky wizard is an action. Throwing aside one's mind in the name of one's emotions is an action.

What is important isn't that we treat the Golden Rule like a law, checking off actions as good or bad if they slip through loopholes, what is important is the the understanding it gives as a general principle.
If it has "loopholes," the understanding it gives is to that extent false. You cannot simultaneously follow a principle and not follow a principle.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 3:17:15 PM
At 1/21/2012 2:34:49 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Literary technique like metaphor and allegory exist because they are extraordinarily effective means of communication.
You'll notice I didn't say "Always speak literally," merely "If you can't speak literally you shouldn't speak."

They wrote fiction. Their purpose was to entertain, not make coherent philosophy.

Considering that Jesus wasnt writing an ethical tract, he was preaching to common people and wanted to bring about an understanding and conviction, it makes sense for him to speak in whatever way most effectively communicates his position.
Contradiction. If you are writing to bring about both understanding and conviction in ethics, your purpose is that of an "ethical tract."

Again... You'll notice I didn't say "Always speak literally," merely "If you can't speak literally you shouldn't speak."

A virtuous person will follow certain principles (I don't know why you're using the term "maxim.") Throwing aside one's mind in the name of a sky wizard is an action. Throwing aside one's mind in the name of one's emotions is an action.

What is important isn't that we treat the Golden Rule like a law, checking off actions as good or bad if they slip through loopholes, what is important is the the understanding it gives as a general principle.
If it has "loopholes," the understanding it gives is to that extent false. You cannot simultaneously follow a principle and not follow a principle.

Lol by the style and tone of your response Im going to guess you are a big read of Ayn Rand...
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 3:19:15 PM
At 1/21/2012 3:17:15 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 1/21/2012 2:34:49 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Lol by the style and tone of your response Im going to guess you are a big read of Ayn Rand...

His name gives it away. Ragnar (from Atlas Shrugged) and Rahl (from Terry Goodkind's Objectivist fantasy series).
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 3:28:44 PM
At 1/21/2012 3:17:15 PM, Raisor wrote:

Yup he's been our resident "Randroid" forever. :)
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 7:23:56 PM

All moral systems have problems.

Sure, there is an interpretation issue, some people who tortured heretics thought they were in conformity with the golden rule, what's a little bit of suffering now to save your soul from eternal damm nation eh ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 3:13:08 AM
At 1/21/2012 7:23:56 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

All moral systems have problems.

Sure, there is an interpretation issue, some people who tortured heretics were in conformity with the golden rule, what's a little bit of suffering now to save your soul from eternal damm nation eh ?

Fix'd.