Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

~~Why do people believe religions to be true?

Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 7:47:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The most common reasons are probably the beliefs of one's parents and the religion of the country in which one was raised.

As IQ decreases, religiosity increases; as income decreases, religiosity increases; as criminality increases, religiosity increases; as education level decreases, religiosity increases.
So generally speaking, a dumb, violent, poor, uneducated person is more likely to believe in religion than an intelligent, peaceful, rich, educated person.

It's also interesting to note that 83% of Americans have religious faith, while 48% of Americans believe in ghosts.

What other reasons do you have for religiosity or propensity to believe in superstitions without evidence?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 7:49:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/22/2012 7:47:34 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
The most common reasons are probably the beliefs of one's parents and the religion of the country in which one was raised.

As IQ decreases, religiosity increases; as income decreases, religiosity increases; as criminality increases, religiosity increases; as education level decreases, religiosity increases.
So generally speaking, a dumb, violent, poor, uneducated person is more likely to believe in religion than an intelligent, peaceful, rich, educated person.

It's also interesting to note that 83% of Americans have religious faith, while 48% of Americans believe in ghosts.

What other reasons do you have for religiosity or propensity to believe in superstitions without evidence?

Religion is particularly attractive because it permits us to believe in accountability after death. We note that many in life, especially those with power, are corrupt, and we hope that somehow they will be held accountable for their despicable actions. This is particularly true if we are completely powerless and have no hope for escaping (ex. slavery).

Marx best explained this when he claimed that "Religion is the opiate of the masses."
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 8:19:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I agree. I think I should move this post to the religion section though.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 10:14:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/22/2012 7:47:34 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
The most common reasons are probably the beliefs of one's parents and the religion of the country in which one was raised.

As IQ decreases, religiosity increases; as income decreases, religiosity increases; as criminality increases, religiosity increases; as education level decreases, religiosity increases.
So generally speaking, a dumb, violent, poor, uneducated person is more likely to believe in religion than an intelligent, peaceful, rich, educated person.

It's also interesting to note that 83% of Americans have religious faith, while 48% of Americans believe in ghosts.

What other reasons do you have for religiosity or propensity to believe in superstitions without evidence?

I took the advice of several of my fellow atheist and agnostic friends in my younger years with regard to life and they all led me down the road to hell. Then I tried the advice of the words of the bible and it led me down the road to prosperity and happiness. That's all the evidence I need to belive it true.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 10:18:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/22/2012 10:14:17 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/22/2012 7:47:34 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
The most common reasons are probably the beliefs of one's parents and the religion of the country in which one was raised.

As IQ decreases, religiosity increases; as income decreases, religiosity increases; as criminality increases, religiosity increases; as education level decreases, religiosity increases.
So generally speaking, a dumb, violent, poor, uneducated person is more likely to believe in religion than an intelligent, peaceful, rich, educated person.

It's also interesting to note that 83% of Americans have religious faith, while 48% of Americans believe in ghosts.

What other reasons do you have for religiosity or propensity to believe in superstitions without evidence?

I took the advice of several of my fellow atheist and agnostic friends in my younger years with regard to life and they all led me down the road to hell. Then I tried the advice of the words of the bible and it led me down the road to prosperity and happiness. That's all the evidence I need to belive it true.

In all fairness, that says nothing of its factual inerrancy. It's like saying "I took the advice of several of my fellow atheist and agnostic friends in my younger years with regard to life and they all led me down the road to hell. Then I tried the advice of the words of the pastafarian bible and it led me down the road to prosperity and happiness. That's all the evidence I need to belive that there is a flying spaghetti monster."
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 3:17:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Why do people believe religions to be false?

Ooooh, checkmate, atheists!
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 5:02:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/23/2012 3:17:26 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Why do people believe religions to be false?


Ooooh, checkmate, atheists!

I am now a Hindu, because of your post. The burden of proof was too arduous for me to defend my comprehensive atheist dogma. I now worship cows.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 5:46:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/23/2012 5:02:23 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 1/23/2012 3:17:26 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Why do people believe religions to be false?


Ooooh, checkmate, atheists!

I am now a Hindu, because of your post. The burden of proof was too arduous for me to defend my comprehensive atheist dogma. I now worship cows.

Snap! What a coincidence dude. The cows abducted me and made their chosen one.
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 5:49:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/22/2012 10:18:48 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 1/22/2012 10:14:17 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/22/2012 7:47:34 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
The most common reasons are probably the beliefs of one's parents and the religion of the country in which one was raised.

As IQ decreases, religiosity increases; as income decreases, religiosity increases; as criminality increases, religiosity increases; as education level decreases, religiosity increases.
So generally speaking, a dumb, violent, poor, uneducated person is more likely to believe in religion than an intelligent, peaceful, rich, educated person.

It's also interesting to note that 83% of Americans have religious faith, while 48% of Americans believe in ghosts.

What other reasons do you have for religiosity or propensity to believe in superstitions without evidence?

I took the advice of several of my fellow atheist and agnostic friends in my younger years with regard to life and they all led me down the road to hell. Then I tried the advice of the words of the bible and it led me down the road to prosperity and happiness. That's all the evidence I need to belive it true.

In all fairness, that says nothing of its factual inerrancy. It's like saying "I took the advice of several of my fellow atheist and agnostic friends in my younger years with regard to life and they all led me down the road to hell. Then I tried the advice of the words of the pastafarian bible and it led me down the road to prosperity and happiness. That's all the evidence I need to belive that there is a flying spaghetti monster."

I think he is saying he doesn't care about its factual inerrancy. Believing has made him happy so why not believe?
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 2:24:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/22/2012 7:49:45 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/22/2012 7:47:34 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
The most common reasons are probably the beliefs of one's parents and the religion of the country in which one was raised.

As IQ decreases, religiosity increases; as income decreases, religiosity increases; as criminality increases, religiosity increases; as education level decreases, religiosity increases.
So generally speaking, a dumb, violent, poor, uneducated person is more likely to believe in religion than an intelligent, peaceful, rich, educated person.

It's also interesting to note that 83% of Americans have religious faith, while 48% of Americans believe in ghosts.

What other reasons do you have for religiosity or propensity to believe in superstitions without evidence?

Religion is particularly attractive because it permits us to believe in accountability after death. We note that many in life, especially those with power, are corrupt, and we hope that somehow they will be held accountable for their despicable actions. This is particularly true if we are completely powerless and have no hope for escaping (ex. slavery).

Marx best explained this when he claimed that "Religion is the opiate of the masses."

This is anecdotal but I have a couple friends who are pretty religious. At one point, this was about four years ago, I believed in "god" but definitely did not believe in hell or the bible or any particular religion. We were having a debate of sorts and the desperation they seemed to exude, the sheer unadulterated fear they had at the thought of there not being a hell, was palpable. They couldn't imagine a world in which horrifically bad people were not punished after they die. It literally made them physically uncomfortable to consider that the world could be that way. The fact that they believed in hell allowed them to not get depressed over the fact that people do bad stuff all the time and seem to get away with it.

A valid fear/concern to have- but should I believe in hell or the bible because of it? eh. No. The world just sucks sometimes.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 5:17:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/22/2012 10:18:48 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 1/22/2012 10:14:17 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/22/2012 7:47:34 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
The most common reasons are probably the beliefs of one's parents and the religion of the country in which one was raised.

As IQ decreases, religiosity increases; as income decreases, religiosity increases; as criminality increases, religiosity increases; as education level decreases, religiosity increases.
So generally speaking, a dumb, violent, poor, uneducated person is more likely to believe in religion than an intelligent, peaceful, rich, educated person.

It's also interesting to note that 83% of Americans have religious faith, while 48% of Americans believe in ghosts.

What other reasons do you have for religiosity or propensity to believe in superstitions without evidence?

I took the advice of several of my fellow atheist and agnostic friends in my younger years with regard to life and they all led me down the road to hell. Then I tried the advice of the words of the bible and it led me down the road to prosperity and happiness. That's all the evidence I need to belive it true.

In all fairness, that says nothing of its factual inerrancy. It's like saying "I took the advice of several of my fellow atheist and agnostic friends in my younger years with regard to life and they all led me down the road to hell. Then I tried the advice of the words of the pastafarian bible and it led me down the road to prosperity and happiness. That's all the evidence I need to belive that there is a flying spaghetti monster."

But of course you would say that, But I did not take the advice of the spaghetti fairy. Any moron knows that that comparison is nothing more than sacasam at best. What you fail to acknowledge is the existence of the bible for the last 2000 years. It's words and advice unchanged for all of those 2000 years. Furthermore you assume that I randomly and without thought just chose the bible as a guide. You think me some kind of moronic idiot to accept your ridiculous comparison of the spaghetti fairy. There is no history to the spaghetti fairy. You made it up, you would be the one who I would avoid most for advice on life. As all you offer sarcasm and ridicule and contempt. You are a prime example of a person who would send his fellow man down the road to hell. Your words are almost verbatim of the people I knew when I was younger.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Raisor
Posts: 4,459
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 9:02:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/23/2012 5:17:26 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/22/2012 10:18:48 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 1/22/2012 10:14:17 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/22/2012 7:47:34 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
The most common reasons are probably the beliefs of one's parents and the religion of the country in which one was raised.

As IQ decreases, religiosity increases; as income decreases, religiosity increases; as criminality increases, religiosity increases; as education level decreases, religiosity increases.
So generally speaking, a dumb, violent, poor, uneducated person is more likely to believe in religion than an intelligent, peaceful, rich, educated person.

It's also interesting to note that 83% of Americans have religious faith, while 48% of Americans believe in ghosts.

What other reasons do you have for religiosity or propensity to believe in superstitions without evidence?

I took the advice of several of my fellow atheist and agnostic friends in my younger years with regard to life and they all led me down the road to hell. Then I tried the advice of the words of the bible and it led me down the road to prosperity and happiness. That's all the evidence I need to belive it true.

In all fairness, that says nothing of its factual inerrancy. It's like saying "I took the advice of several of my fellow atheist and agnostic friends in my younger years with regard to life and they all led me down the road to hell. Then I tried the advice of the words of the pastafarian bible and it led me down the road to prosperity and happiness. That's all the evidence I need to belive that there is a flying spaghetti monster."

But of course you would say that, But I did not take the advice of the spaghetti fairy. Any moron knows that that comparison is nothing more than sacasam at best. What you fail to acknowledge is the existence of the bible for the last 2000 years. It's words and advice unchanged for all of those 2000 years. Furthermore you assume that I randomly and without thought just chose the bible as a guide. You think me some kind of moronic idiot to accept your ridiculous comparison of the spaghetti fairy. There is no history to the spaghetti fairy. You made it up, you would be the one who I would avoid most for advice on life. As all you offer sarcasm and ridicule and contempt. You are a prime example of a person who would send his fellow man down the road to hell. Your words are almost verbatim of the people I knew when I was younger.

The words of the Bible have changed over the years- this is clearly obvious if you open a KJV bible and compare it to an NAB. Beyond that, we have copies of the Gospels and Pauline epistles from the early parts of the first millennium that do not match word for word with modern texts, be it KJV NAB or whatever. Whether this is problematic for Christianity I don't really know, but still the Bible has changed at the least in a superficial sense.

Anyways, the issue of tradition doest really get at the heart of the spaghetti monster. The FSM is 90% a public relations tactic for sure, but it also hits on the topic of falsifiability, which is a legitimate criticism of most religions. Again, I dont think the FSM is the nail in the coffin of organized religion, but it is more than sarcasm.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 12:45:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's a faith thing. I personally know my religion is true, I feel it in my gut, when my prayers are answered, when I speak with God, when I see works done in the name of faith, when I look to the past and see 2000 years of believers like me who went undaunted in the face of persecution, and I look to the future and see countless more years of belief and faith prevelent in society.

If atheism was so right and crushingly obvious like you make it out to be it would have destroyed religion long ago, yet God hangs on. Why? Because there are people who know Him and there are those who know it to be true because He exists.

This is why I believe in religion, this is why I believe it to be true.
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 11:18:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/23/2012 9:02:39 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 1/23/2012 5:17:26 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/22/2012 10:18:48 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 1/22/2012 10:14:17 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/22/2012 7:47:34 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
The most common reasons are probably the beliefs of one's parents and the religion of the country in which one was raised.

As IQ decreases, religiosity increases; as income decreases, religiosity increases; as criminality increases, religiosity increases; as education level decreases, religiosity increases.
So generally speaking, a dumb, violent, poor, uneducated person is more likely to believe in religion than an intelligent, peaceful, rich, educated person.

It's also interesting to note that 83% of Americans have religious faith, while 48% of Americans believe in ghosts.

What other reasons do you have for religiosity or propensity to believe in superstitions without evidence?

I took the advice of several of my fellow atheist and agnostic friends in my younger years with regard to life and they all led me down the road to hell. Then I tried the advice of the words of the bible and it led me down the road to prosperity and happiness. That's all the evidence I need to belive it true.

In all fairness, that says nothing of its factual inerrancy. It's like saying "I took the advice of several of my fellow atheist and agnostic friends in my younger years with regard to life and they all led me down the road to hell. Then I tried the advice of the words of the pastafarian bible and it led me down the road to prosperity and happiness. That's all the evidence I need to belive that there is a flying spaghetti monster."

But of course you would say that, But I did not take the advice of the spaghetti fairy. Any moron knows that that comparison is nothing more than sacasam at best. What you fail to acknowledge is the existence of the bible for the last 2000 years. It's words and advice unchanged for all of those 2000 years. Furthermore you assume that I randomly and without thought just chose the bible as a guide. You think me some kind of moronic idiot to accept your ridiculous comparison of the spaghetti fairy. There is no history to the spaghetti fairy. You made it up, you would be the one who I would avoid most for advice on life. As all you offer sarcasm and ridicule and contempt. You are a prime example of a person who would send his fellow man down the road to hell. Your words are almost verbatim of the people I knew when I was younger.

The words of the Bible have changed over the years- this is clearly obvious if you open a KJV bible and compare it to an NAB. Beyond that, we have copies of the Gospels and Pauline epistles from the early parts of the first millennium that do not match word for word with modern texts, be it KJV NAB or whatever. Whether this is problematic for Christianity I don't really know, but still the Bible has changed at the least in a superficial sense.

Anyways, the issue of tradition doest really get at the heart of the spaghetti monster. The FSM is 90% a public relations tactic for sure, but it also hits on the topic of falsifiability, which is a legitimate criticism of most religions. Again, I dont think the FSM is the nail in the coffin of organized religion, but it is more than sarcasm.

I will take the words of wisdom from the bible over any man any day. The words may change but the wisdom has never changed. It still says the same thing it did 2000 years ago. You can split hairs if you want. But it is the authority on human nature and how society's thrive and fail. There is no other book written that can even come close to the wisdom contained within the bible. A smart man does not reject wisdom, a foolish man does.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Wandile
Posts: 97
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 2:15:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/24/2012 12:45:52 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
It's a faith thing. I personally know my religion is true, I feel it in my gut, when my prayers are answered, when I speak with God, when I see works done in the name of faith, when I look to the past and see 2000 years of believers like me who went undaunted in the face of persecution, and I look to the future and see countless more years of belief and faith prevelent in society.

If atheism was so right and crushingly obvious like you make it out to be it would have destroyed religion long ago, yet God hangs on. Why? Because there are people who know Him and there are those who know it to be true because He exists.

This is why I believe in religion, this is why I believe it to be true.

This is so true. You have earned a quote in my signature :)
"Possibly deluded.... no way to confirm the veracity. That is an extraordinary claim to suggest billions the world over and throughout history are deluded. Proof?
Also if you actually believe these Billions of historical Christians are deluded, what gives you a warrant to special plead you are not equally self deluded within your own views? Sounds like self contradictory belief system you are under." - Gileandos

The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice - Proverb