Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

The most meaningful thing in the universe.

GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 9:35:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Is what? Before you state that there isn't such thing as something objectively meaningful (atheists), then consider that subjectivity and objectivity are actually interlinked with each other. You can't have one without the other in other words. For example, you may say that the most meaningful thing in the universe is the ability to make a decision, but that is also an objective statement too, since you or anyone stating that the ability to make a decision is subjective is also saying, yes it is objective that for me the ability to make a decision is the most meaningful thing in the universe.

What's the most meaningful thing in the universe?
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 9:49:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 9:35:01 AM, GodSands wrote:
Is what? Before you state that there isn't such thing as something objectively meaningful (atheists), then consider that subjectivity and objectivity are actually interlinked with each other. You can't have one without the other in other words. For example, you may say that the most meaningful thing in the universe is the ability to make a decision, but that is also an objective statement too, since you or anyone stating that the ability to make a decision is subjective is also saying, yes it is objective that for me the ability to make a decision is the most meaningful thing in the universe.

What's the most meaningful thing in the universe?

Meaningful: full of meaning, significance, purpose, or value; purposeful; significant: a meaningful wink; a meaningful choice (World English Dictionary)

Intuitivly, our existence would be the most meaningful thing. However, our existence is so absurd it seems to signify nothing.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:16:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 9:49:26 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 1/26/2012 9:35:01 AM, GodSands wrote:
Is what? Before you state that there isn't such thing as something objectively meaningful (atheists), then consider that subjectivity and objectivity are actually interlinked with each other. You can't have one without the other in other words. For example, you may say that the most meaningful thing in the universe is the ability to make a decision, but that is also an objective statement too, since you or anyone stating that the ability to make a decision is subjective is also saying, yes it is objective that for me the ability to make a decision is the most meaningful thing in the universe.

What's the most meaningful thing in the universe?

Meaningful: full of meaning, significance, purpose, or value; purposeful; significant: a meaningful wink; a meaningful choice (World English Dictionary)

Intuitivly, our existence would be the most meaningful thing. However, our existence is so absurd it seems to signify nothing.

I think that the cause of everything would be the most meaningful thing in the universe (universe in this case means everything), our existence is a unnecessary condition that exists out of a cause. Therefore the cause that cause us is greater that us.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:29:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I do not understand what 'meaning' is in this context. I assume it is different from semantic meaning and is something more like 'value' or 'worth'. If so, how is this value quantified? What does meaning mean here?
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 10:39:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 10:29:16 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I do not understand what 'meaning' is in this context. I assume it is different from semantic meaning and is something more like 'value' or 'worth'. If so, how is this value quantified? What does meaning mean here?

Good point. What definition of "meaning" are we to use here?
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 4:12:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 10:39:51 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 1/26/2012 10:29:16 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I do not understand what 'meaning' is in this context. I assume it is different from semantic meaning and is something more like 'value' or 'worth'. If so, how is this value quantified? What does meaning mean here?

Good point. What definition of "meaning" are we to use here?

Well I thought there was only one type of meaning in the context I have displayed this forum post in. What is the most valuable, worthy purposeful thing in existence, or in the universe?
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 4:36:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 4:12:08 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 1/26/2012 10:39:51 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 1/26/2012 10:29:16 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I do not understand what 'meaning' is in this context. I assume it is different from semantic meaning and is something more like 'value' or 'worth'. If so, how is this value quantified? What does meaning mean here?

Good point. What definition of "meaning" are we to use here?

Well I thought there was only one type of meaning in the context I have displayed this forum post in. What is the most valuable, worthy purposeful thing in existence, or in the universe?

What do you mean by worthy? Worthy of what?
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 4:45:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 4:12:08 PM, GodSands wrote:
At 1/26/2012 10:39:51 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 1/26/2012 10:29:16 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I do not understand what 'meaning' is in this context. I assume it is different from semantic meaning and is something more like 'value' or 'worth'. If so, how is this value quantified? What does meaning mean here?

Good point. What definition of "meaning" are we to use here?

Well I thought there was only one type of meaning in the context I have displayed this forum post in. What is the most valuable, worthy purposeful thing in existence, or in the universe?

Worthy to whom?

My life could have meaning to society because I contribute to it.

My life could have meaning to me because of the purpose I assign to it..

My life could have meaning as determined by some axiom ore presupposition regardless of my wishes.

My life could have meaning only as a piece of a holistic system (I mean nothing more than the effects that the atoms composing of myself have on the universe before, during, and after death).
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 4:50:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 9:35:01 AM, GodSands wrote:
Is what? Before you state that there isn't such thing as something objectively meaningful (atheists), then consider that subjectivity and objectivity are actually interlinked with each other. You can't have one without the other in other words. For example, you may say that the most meaningful thing in the universe is the ability to make a decision, but that is also an objective statement too, since you or anyone stating that the ability to make a decision is subjective is also saying, yes it is objective that for me the ability to make a decision is the most meaningful thing in the universe.

What's the most meaningful thing in the universe?

That's too easy... you know the answer, look at your screen name :)
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 9:24:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
lol Humanbots that can't answer a simple question.

I'd say the fulfillment of what someone's consciousness deems most rewarding is the most meaningful. It's subjective to each person, but bound by a certain human nature.

To me: love and knowledge
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 3:29:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Good...
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Justin_Thiel
Posts: 87
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 5:23:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 9:35:01 AM, GodSands wrote:
Is what? Before you state that there isn't such thing as something objectively meaningful (atheists), then consider that subjectivity and objectivity are actually interlinked with each other. You can't have one without the other in other words. For example, you may say that the most meaningful thing in the universe is the ability to make a decision, but that is also an objective statement too, since you or anyone stating that the ability to make a decision is subjective is also saying, yes it is objective that for me the ability to make a decision is the most meaningful thing in the universe.

What's the most meaningful thing in the universe?

Consciousness.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 6:06:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Symbols and the minds that give them meaning
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 6:07:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
death. The end of all consciousness, and the transitive arrival of true peace and freedom.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault