Jump to topic:

Male Circumcision

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:32:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't mind it, and *sorry about making this awkward* make things easier...
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:36:01 PM
What's wrong with cutting off body parts?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:37:09 PM
It has it hygienic benefits. And a for the child not being able to choose, well that is irrelevant. If babies could choose they wouldn't eat their vegetable or get vaccinated.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:39:11 PM
Parents have a moral responsibility of the child, so I think they should be allowed to perform circumcision on him. If he has unsafe sex or something similar during his teen years where the parents still have full responsibility over him, they have to pay the price. They should be allowed to lower the risk heavily.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:39:19 PM
At 2/9/2012 3:32:15 PM, OberHerr wrote:

This topic is actually really complex the more I think into it. The issue that you don't mind it now doesn't tell me much. What the procedure does is literally wack off a part of a child's genitals without his consent, but in earlier stages of brain development. I think if disease resistance stats are balanced on both sides it might be tough to come up with a secular justification.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:41:57 PM
Not sure whether it's moral (Newborns don't seem to be demonstrably rational and thus don't seem to have rights... toddlers definitely do.... not sure where the cutoff point, no pun intended, is)... personally don't regard it as a big deal.. politically, the government protecting people who aren't capable of stating a complaint to the court (except in cases like murder where they had the capability before the perp got involved) is just incoherent.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:44:31 PM
I support the practice. It's like getting your wisdom teeth pulled. We evolved with errors. Circumcision is best done at birth just like they cut the umbilical cord. I don't feel it, remember it, and extremely grateful it's done and over with and dont have to worry about it as an adult.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:44:35 PM
As a general observation, this initial attitude of dismissing the issue as unimportant is a social construction. I know it's a common first reaction.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:44:36 PM
At 2/9/2012 3:42:59 PM, Koopin wrote:
Shoot..... lovelife is gonna be all over this.

What, is she against it?

Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:45:48 PM
At 2/9/2012 3:44:36 PM, OberHerr wrote:

What, is she against it?

Indeed.
kfc
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:46:16 PM
At 2/9/2012 3:39:19 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 2/9/2012 3:32:15 PM, OberHerr wrote:

This topic is actually really complex the more I think into it. The issue that you don't mind it now doesn't tell me much. What the procedure does is literally wack off a part of a child's genitals without his consent, but in earlier stages of brain development. I think if disease resistance stats are balanced on both sides it might be tough to come up with a secular justification.

Well, I don't see how we can kill a unborn child, and thats totally ok, but if we help his hygiene later in life, thats horrible.

If the parents consent, why not? It helps in the long run, and it doesn't really affect him, in a bad way at least.. And how would we get the babies consent?

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:47:39 PM
At 2/9/2012 3:45:48 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 2/9/2012 3:44:36 PM, OberHerr wrote:

What, is she against it?

Indeed.

Hmm, so she if FOR killing unborn babies, but against helping them with hygiene, that doesn't detriment them at all..

OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:48:05 PM
At 2/9/2012 3:44:31 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I support the practice. It's like getting your wisdom teeth pulled. We evolved with errors. Circumcision is best done at birth just like they cut the umbilical cord. I don't feel it, remember it, and extremely grateful it's done and over with and dont have to worry about it as an adult.

You can consent to getting your wisdom teeth pulled. What if the medical science says STD rates balance between both circumcised and uncircumcised. The umbilical cord is completely necessary, there's no comparison. My initial gripe is that the change will effect the child as he grows up entirely without his consent.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:48:27 PM
At 2/9/2012 3:36:01 PM, socialpinko wrote:
What's wrong with cutting off body parts?

Nothing provided it has medical benefits. We amputate dead limbs all the time to prevent patients from getting septic and dying. We circumcise children because it has hygienic benefits and for religious considerations.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:49:18 PM
At 2/9/2012 3:48:05 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

You can consent to getting your wisdom teeth pulled. What if the medical science says STD rates balance between both circumcised and uncircumcised. The umbilical cord is completely necessary, there's no comparison. My initial gripe is that the change will effect the child as he grows up entirely without his consent.

Well, clearly none of us circumcised males care. I mean, if hordes of men were protesting it, then fine, but I can't think of a downside.

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:50:32 PM
At 2/9/2012 3:31:09 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
What are DDO's thoughts on it? Do libertarians take issue with the lack of consent? Should it be standard procedure?

It should be banned, but by popular vote rather than in courts to avoid dangerous home versions.
It is horrible, unproductive, has no benefits, and harms children for no reason, the "facts" to support it are the same "facts" used to support female circ, and are, either lies, or pale in comparison to deaths and infections they cause, as well as infringing on another's body against his will.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:51:05 PM
At 2/9/2012 3:49:18 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Well, clearly none of us circumcised males care. I mean, if hordes of men were protesting it, then fine, but I can't think of a downside.

Well lets say we did the same thing with earlobes. At birth, parents frequently cut off their child's ear lobe but the culture accepted the practice and only a relatively small number of men complained about this "rights violation."
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:52:14 PM

When they are young they do not consent to vaccinations either. Should we quit vaccinating infants?

Besides, uncircumcised males are reportedly more likely to develop penile infections and contract STDs.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:52:40 PM
At 2/9/2012 3:50:32 PM, lovelife wrote:
What are DDO's thoughts on it? Do libertarians take issue with the lack of consent? Should it be standard procedure?

It should be banned, but by popular vote rather than in courts to avoid dangerous home versions.
It is horrible, unproductive, has no benefits, and harms children for no reason, the "facts" to support it are the same "facts" used to support female circ, and are, either lies, or pale in comparison to deaths and infections they cause, as well as infringing on another's body against his will.

Are you a male?

No.

So therefore, you have no say in whether or not its beneficial.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:53:40 PM
At 2/9/2012 3:51:05 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

Well lets say we did the same thing with earlobes. At birth, parents frequently cut off their child's ear lobe but the culture accepted the practice and only a relatively small number of men complained about this "rights violation."

Well, how does that benefit you? I'm just saying, it is, not trying to make this awkward, helpful.

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:53:48 PM

lawl xD
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:55:01 PM
At 2/9/2012 3:52:14 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

When they are young they do not consent to vaccinations either. Should we quit vaccinating infants?

Besides, uncircumcised males are reportedly more likely to develop penile infections and contract STDs.

Vaccinations have overwhelming utilitarian support and do not permanently alter the body. My ear lobe example is much more analagous.

And there are other diseases which circumcised men are more at risk for. I've done a little research and there's evidence on both sides, and I'm not fully committed to the position, but does it stop being moral if there is no net disease reduction?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:56:01 PM
What are DDO's thoughts on it? Do libertarians take issue with the lack of consent? Should it be standard procedure?:

There's literally no reason, whatsoever, to circumcise one's own son. I'm cut, so is my son, but I've since researched it and regret it. It's simply an archaic custom passed down by the Mesopotamian culture.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:56:14 PM
Tho once is age of majority they should be able to alter their body however they want, tats, cut off part or all of their genitals, cut off arms or legs or other body parts, plastic surgery, etc.

No one has a right to force it on anyone else.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:57:02 PM
Lovelife, are you serious? Where are you getting your information?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:57:26 PM
At 2/9/2012 3:53:40 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 2/9/2012 3:51:05 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

Well, how does that benefit you? I'm just saying, it is, not trying to make this awkward, helpful.

Earlobe removal? It wouldn't, but there's a strong argument that the medical benefits in some areas from circumcision are balanced by increased medical risks in other areas. Lets say for now there are no medical benefits: Is the routine moral? Would ear lobe removal be moral if it was found to reduce cancer risk by 5%? 1%? .01%?
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:57:28 PM
At 2/9/2012 3:50:32 PM, lovelife wrote:

I have read no studies on the matter that compare male circumcision with female circumcision. Male circumcision is entirely different