Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

The Organism-Environment Field

GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2012 1:16:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I want to discuss an undiscussed philosophical idea called the Organism-Environment Field. It has not been covered in great length by anyone including the philosopher who introduced the idea.

This is what was said by the philosopher Alan Watts:

"If I define myself as the whole field of events, we'll say the 'organism-environment field' which is the real me, then all the things that happen to me, may be called 'my doing.'"
-- Alan Watts

I think this sheds a whole new light on who and what we are and how we experience reality. It solves the whole debate about whether your environment shapes you or yourself.

There is a field of interactions between you and your immediate environment. You influence the environment and the environment influences you. Theres a stream of signals and information being transferred back and forth between you and the immediate environmental sphere. This whole, this system makes up you.

.
.
.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2012 5:34:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It is true, "cause and effect" is misleading. It is more like, "cause and effect that effects the cause". Or more simply put, everything effects everything else.

But the human being is an artificial construction, we are made of our environment. A human being is just a collection of reactions. In actuality, a human being is not separate fron the universe, nor is anything else. This is not philosophical mumbo jumbo, this is physics.

But you already knew that.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2012 6:23:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/13/2012 1:16:21 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I want to discuss an undiscussed philosophical idea called the Organism-Environment Field. It has not been covered in great length by anyone including the philosopher who introduced the idea.

This is what was said by the philosopher Alan Watts:

"If I define myself as the whole field of events, we'll say the 'organism-environment field' which is the real me, then all the things that happen to me, may be called 'my doing.'"
-- Alan Watts

I think this sheds a whole new light on who and what we are and how we experience reality. It solves the whole debate about whether your environment shapes you or yourself.

There is a field of interactions between you and your immediate environment. You influence the environment and the environment influences you. Theres a stream of signals and information being transferred back and forth between you and the immediate environmental sphere. This whole, this system makes up you.


Are you familiar with the idea of an extended phenotype? It may be somewhat what you are talking about.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2012 6:50:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/13/2012 6:23:56 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 2/13/2012 1:16:21 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I want to discuss an undiscussed philosophical idea called the Organism-Environment Field. It has not been covered in great length by anyone including the philosopher who introduced the idea.

This is what was said by the philosopher Alan Watts:

"If I define myself as the whole field of events, we'll say the 'organism-environment field' which is the real me, then all the things that happen to me, may be called 'my doing.'"
-- Alan Watts

I think this sheds a whole new light on who and what we are and how we experience reality. It solves the whole debate about whether your environment shapes you or yourself.

There is a field of interactions between you and your immediate environment. You influence the environment and the environment influences you. Theres a stream of signals and information being transferred back and forth between you and the immediate environmental sphere. This whole, this system makes up you.


Are you familiar with the idea of an extended phenotype? It may be somewhat what you are talking about.

Interesting. I wasnt aware of the scientific concept. Introduced by Dawkins no less. Always been a fan of his. Hes brighter than people give him credit for!

.
.
.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2012 6:50:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/13/2012 6:50:18 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 2/13/2012 6:23:56 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 2/13/2012 1:16:21 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I want to discuss an undiscussed philosophical idea called the Organism-Environment Field. It has not been covered in great length by anyone including the philosopher who introduced the idea.

This is what was said by the philosopher Alan Watts:

"If I define myself as the whole field of events, we'll say the 'organism-environment field' which is the real me, then all the things that happen to me, may be called 'my doing.'"
-- Alan Watts

I think this sheds a whole new light on who and what we are and how we experience reality. It solves the whole debate about whether your environment shapes you or yourself.

There is a field of interactions between you and your immediate environment. You influence the environment and the environment influences you. Theres a stream of signals and information being transferred back and forth between you and the immediate environmental sphere. This whole, this system makes up you.


Are you familiar with the idea of an extended phenotype? It may be somewhat what you are talking about.

Interesting. I wasnt aware of the scientific concept. Introduced by Dawkins no less. Always been a fan of his. Hes brighter than people give him credit for!


As long as he sticks with biology, he's great. Once he goes into philosophy...well...he's a biologist talking about philosophy.