Jump to topic:

Why You?

TheLaw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 6:07:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've been thinking for the past couple of days. I realized, is there a reason we are who we are? I might have worded it wrongly, but I'll try my best to convey my thoughts. Essentially what I'm saying is, why did you happen to be that person, in that body. Even though I'm a theist, right now I'll reject any sort of spiritual bias I may have and not see this explained in terms of "everyone has a spirit" (as of right now, I'll will later on through the topic explain it in a 'theist' way). With that being said, the question still stands.

Essentially here's what I'm saying. Due to the fact that there have been billions on billions on billions of people to live on this earth and billions on billions on billions in the future, why out of [b]all[/b] these people, you're living your life through this scope. You can say this is due to sheer chance, sheer randomness, but let's take this for example. What if the population never ceases to die making for an infinite population, meaning the chances of you being you are 1 in infinity, which will never occur, it's litterallly impossible. Let's take the other route though, let's say there was a "higher being" that dictated where your "spirit" went, it now becomes plausible in a way why your "spirit" was put in this body even if there is in infinite population pool.

So now here's essentially what I'm asking, how and why do we see through our current scope out of all the people that did and could live on this earth. I want to hear scientific explanations, spiritual explanations, etc. I may I've worded the topic very weirdly but hopefully I got my point across.

Thanks.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 6:15:29 PM
Character and personality are not something one chooses, they are molded from genetics, life experiences, childhood, upbringing, and every other external factor that influences the mind. We are who we are out of the random occurrences of the world.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 6:23:22 PM
At 3/10/2012 6:07:54 PM, TheLaw wrote:
I've been thinking for the past couple of days. I realized, is there a reason we are who we are? I might have worded it wrongly, but I'll try my best to convey my thoughts. Essentially what I'm saying is, why did you happen to be that person, in that body. Even though I'm a theist, right now I'll reject any sort of spiritual bias I may have and not see this explained in terms of "everyone has a spirit" (as of right now, I'll will later on through the topic explain it in a 'theist' way). With that being said, the question still stands.

Essentially here's what I'm saying. Due to the fact that there have been billions on billions on billions of people to live on this earth and billions on billions on billions in the future, why out of [b]all[/b] these people, you're living your life through this scope. You can say this is due to sheer chance, sheer randomness, but let's take this for example. What if the population never ceases to die making for an infinite population, meaning the chances of you being you are 1 in infinity, which will never occur, it's litterallly impossible. Let's take the other route though, let's say there was a "higher being" that dictated where your "spirit" went, it now becomes plausible in a way why your "spirit" was put in this body even if there is in infinite population pool.

So now here's essentially what I'm asking, how and why do we see through our current scope out of all the people that did and could live on this earth. I want to hear scientific explanations, spiritual explanations, etc. I may I've worded the topic very weirdly but hopefully I got my point across.

Thanks.

You are you because if you weren't you, you couldn't ask the question.
TheLaw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 6:30:23 PM
Character and personality are not something one chooses, they are molded from genetics, life experiences, childhood, upbringing, and every other external factor that influences the mind. We are who we are out of the random occurrences of the world.::

That kinda answers my questions and kinda doesn't. Of course we all have personalities and characters that can explained from several different theories and perspectives like the Humanistic Perspective, the trait perspective, or the social-cognitive perspective. We all have brains bodily appearance and structures that have been formed in with the conjuction of nature and nature. However, this structure that we call ourselves with the experiences, biological processes, genetic makeup, why do [b]I[/b] live in this structure. As in why do I look through these lenses as so. It's hard to convey what I'm trying to say, but essentially I'm what I'm trying to get at is more of why am I this person.

You are you because if you weren't you, you couldn't ask the question.::

Thanks.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 7:05:06 PM
Why am I me and not some one else. On one level its seems like a reasonable question, but on another its a irrational question. If you were not "you" then "you" wouldn't be asking why am I me.

To put it another way, its a necessary condition that you exist in order for you to ask why am I me ?

But sure, your thinking, look I get that I have to exist in order to pose a question about my existence, but that doesn't answer my question, why am I me ? Because its impossible for "you" to be some one else. "you" refers to our own unique existence, that's why "you" can't be some one else, and some one else with their own "me" can't be "you".

That's the best I got :)
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 7:14:25 PM
Why me? Because I have the skills and can get it done.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 7:36:33 PM
At 3/10/2012 6:07:54 PM, TheLaw wrote:

Thanks.

If you can figure out the flaw in the probability-based logic you have in this post, you will understand why the "fine-tuning" arguments for God are absolutely wrong. Keep that in mind while people reply.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
TheLaw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 7:58:07 PM
At 3/10/2012 7:05:06 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Why am I me and not some one else. On one level its seems like a reasonable question, but on another its a irrational question. If you were not "you" then "you" wouldn't be asking why am I me.

To put it another way, its a necessary condition that you exist in order for you to ask why am I me ?

But sure, your thinking, look I get that I have to exist in order to pose a question about my existence, but that doesn't answer my question, why am I me ? Because its impossible for "you" to be some one else. "you" refers to our own unique existence, that's why "you" can't be some one else, and some one else with their own "me" can't be "you".

That's the best I got :)

Thanks for the great response, probably the best answer I've seen so far on this thread. Secondly, I'm not questioning the fact I'm not me, I'm not saying I might be someone else, I'm just saying, why am "I" this person, as in why I am I the person that has this specific personality, features etc. I know that I exist and that I'm real and that I'm "me", I'm just saying out of all the "me's" in the the history of time, why do I have to be this "me". But then your second part of your post sort of clarifies this question pretty much, you're essentially saying that "me" just refers to who am I am and my individual and unique existence. That makes sense, but not exactly what I'm looking for, essentially what you just said is that "me" is another way of defining self, or the question of what this structure that we call ourselves is. You're saying "you" is simply a label. However what I'm saying is that there needs to be something deeper.

To be more clear, everybody exists, correct? You're saying one "me" refers to one of these "persons". I'm posing, why can't my "me" be someone else, why did it fall upon the person who I am. Your typing a response to this post, why are you on the other side of the screen, while I'm looking through here? It's hard to explain what I'm thinking right now, I have the concept in mind, it's just hard to type out. I'll let you respond and keeping thinking of a better way to say this.
Irkutsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 1:26:47 AM
At 3/10/2012 6:15:29 PM, 000ike wrote:
Character and personality are not something one chooses, they are molded from genetics, life experiences, childhood, upbringing, and every other external factor that influences the mind. We are who we are out of the random occurrences of the world.

Or, life is some virtual reality machine that higher beings are put through to test their durability/ strength/ etc. The machine throws life at you, and grades you on how you handle it. That's how I live sometimes haha.
Life is like radiation. A uniquely damaging event. Perhaps I will live another thirty years. Perhaps I will die tomorrow. But I have no regrets. I was sometimes forced to make difficult choices. But enough is enough. As Vladimir would say, you can only die once, make sure it is worth it.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2012 11:50:34 PM
Thats why!
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL