Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Intelligence, non intelligence, and imitation

Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 6:16:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Non intelligent forces do the "designing" in the universe. For example, gravity "designs" planets due to it pulling matter together. Ever since humans inception we have been imitating what non intelligence does. For example, non intelligence can naturally "design" a tree and humans imitate this "design" by designing a house out of sticks from the tree.

I believe that humans believe in an intelligent designer not because the universe demonstrates intelligent design, but because we are intelligent and we imitate non intelligent design and therefore confusing non intelligence with intelligence due to imitation.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2012 7:44:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think a better overarching theme for why theists have theistic beliefs in general, including that of intelligent design, is that we are "anthropocentric". We are so self-absorbed that we anthropomorphize EVERYTHING.

This explains why "God", which was originally conceptually derived as the "cause of everything" (This hearkens back to our previous discussion in which you accused me of asserting that causality is required for the universe) started gaining such funny attributes like omnipotence, the ability to love, to communicate, to feel anger and jealousy, to feel the urge to create, to be INTELLIGENT, etc.

Theism is just a large-scale version of the story starring two Jewish boys during WWII designing a powerful being from Krypton to fight Hitler.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Irkutsk
Posts: 114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 9:40:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/10/2012 6:16:58 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

I believe that humans believe in an intelligent designer not because the universe demonstrates intelligent design, but because we are intelligent and we imitate non intelligent design and therefore confusing non intelligence with intelligence due to imitation.

Valid.
Life is like radiation. A uniquely damaging event. Perhaps I will live another thirty years. Perhaps I will die tomorrow. But I have no regrets. I was sometimes forced to make difficult choices. But enough is enough. As Vladimir would say, you can only die once, make sure it is worth it.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 8:55:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/11/2012 9:40:51 PM, Irkutsk wrote:
At 3/10/2012 6:16:58 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

I believe that humans believe in an intelligent designer not because the universe demonstrates intelligent design, but because we are intelligent and we imitate non intelligent design and therefore confusing non intelligence with intelligence due to imitation.

Valid.

The Fool: That exacly what it is ... cheers.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 9:04:43 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/12/2012 8:55:54 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 3/11/2012 9:40:51 PM, Irkutsk wrote:
At 3/10/2012 6:16:58 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

I believe that humans believe in an intelligent designer not because the universe demonstrates intelligent design, but because we are intelligent and we imitate non intelligent design and therefore confusing non intelligence with intelligence due to imitation.

Valid.

The Fool: That exacly what it is ... cheers.

The Fool: that is we make god in our image, because its the way we understand how things come about. It is us that think with purpose. So we extrapulate that on the world.

The future you go bad in history everythign is explained by gods or spirts. Particualry with movement. Because we move with on purpose.

Just look in ancient greece Religion, every in which they don't understand they think that there was a purpose and so they use humanistic gods in which they can understand where the purpose of things comes from.

e.g. The sun move because the sun god. the water move, because water god. and so on for all things they didnt' know.

Technically you could measure human progress by accounting for all things which we don't need use a god explaintion as progress. A god explaination is synonomous with I Don't know. There is no difference neither gets us anywhere further.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2012 9:06:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/10/2012 6:16:58 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Non intelligent forces do the "designing" in the universe. For example, gravity "designs" planets due to it pulling matter together. Ever since humans inception we have been imitating what non intelligence does. For example, non intelligence can naturally "design" a tree and humans imitate this "design" by designing a house out of sticks from the tree.

I believe that humans believe in an intelligent designer not because the universe demonstrates intelligent design, but because we are intelligent and we imitate non intelligent design and therefore confusing non intelligence with intelligence due to imitation.

I would use the word design its a human adjective. What you should notice is there is no definieiton of intellegent or designeer in any god sense. its jsut assumes.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL