Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Why music?

Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 2:26:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What is it about our audio processing capabilities that makes us so susceptible to music?

No other art form has the universality, or the instant connect to our inner consciousness.

Why?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 2:29:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
You are forgetting about humor.

And I would say the two are actually highly related. They deal with pattern recognition.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 2:33:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/21/2012 2:29:48 PM, FREEDO wrote:
You are forgetting about humor.

And I would say the two are actually highly related. They deal with pattern recognition.

Humor is universal, but the causes of humor vary all across the place. People laugh at different things, you know.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 2:35:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/21/2012 2:26:57 PM, Indophile wrote:
What is it about our audio processing capabilities that makes us so susceptible to music?

No other art form has the universality, or the instant connect to our inner consciousness.

Why?

Because, music is one of the primary composites of reality. Everything that we know of is comprised of patterns, measures, rhythms, and cycles.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 2:35:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/21/2012 2:33:48 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 3/21/2012 2:29:48 PM, FREEDO wrote:
You are forgetting about humor.

And I would say the two are actually highly related. They deal with pattern recognition.

Humor is universal, but the causes of humor vary all across the place. People laugh at different things, you know.

People listen to different music. Yet, humor is fundamentally humor and music is fundamentally music. It's as simple as liking different patterns. Patterns which relate closer to our perception of self.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 2:43:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/21/2012 2:35:05 PM, Ren wrote:
At 3/21/2012 2:26:57 PM, Indophile wrote:
What is it about our audio processing capabilities that makes us so susceptible to music?

No other art form has the universality, or the instant connect to our inner consciousness.

Why?

Because, music is one of the primary composites of reality. Everything that we know of is comprised of patterns, measures, rhythms, and cycles.

What are the others?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 2:46:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/21/2012 2:43:21 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 3/21/2012 2:35:05 PM, Ren wrote:
At 3/21/2012 2:26:57 PM, Indophile wrote:
What is it about our audio processing capabilities that makes us so susceptible to music?

No other art form has the universality, or the instant connect to our inner consciousness.

Why?

Because, music is one of the primary composites of reality. Everything that we know of is comprised of patterns, measures, rhythms, and cycles.

What are the others?

Lol, matter/energy and the several constants that we've discovered, which define interactions between matter and energy.
Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 2:50:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/21/2012 2:46:09 PM, Ren wrote:
At 3/21/2012 2:43:21 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 3/21/2012 2:35:05 PM, Ren wrote:
At 3/21/2012 2:26:57 PM, Indophile wrote:
What is it about our audio processing capabilities that makes us so susceptible to music?

No other art form has the universality, or the instant connect to our inner consciousness.

Why?

Because, music is one of the primary composites of reality. Everything that we know of is comprised of patterns, measures, rhythms, and cycles.

What are the others?

Lol, matter/energy and the several constants that we've discovered, which define interactions between matter and energy.

Ha!

You thudded back to "reality" so fast I was caught unawares.

The interactions between matter and energy are purely physical phenomena and have nothing to do with our consciousness, as such, have they?

Music, and its appreciation, however, is physical, according to you? In the same sense?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 3:55:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well, the simple answer is that we process music with our auditory cortex. This is the same part of the brain that processes language, and the same area of the brain that deals with memories, specifically long term memories. So it makes sense that music gives us an emotional reaction. It also explains why we can hear a song and immediately be taken back to that moment when we first heard it, many years ago. Also, music stimulates the neural pathways in the hippocampus. This increases the amount of neurons, which increase synaptic connections. So it encourages the connection of ideas or patterns.

But the answer that I personally like is that music is the vibration of the soul :)
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 4:31:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/21/2012 2:35:05 PM, Ren wrote:
At 3/21/2012 2:26:57 PM, Indophile wrote:
What is it about our audio processing capabilities that makes us so susceptible to music?

No other art form has the universality, or the instant connect to our inner consciousness.

Why?

Because, music is one of the primary composites of reality. Everything that we know of is comprised of patterns, measures, rhythms, and cycles.

I thought this was an intersting thought. Though I would have said "music is an analog of spatiotemporal reality".

I have a competing theory that I don't know why I should abandon.

I think before our ancestors could talk, they sang to each other in order to commuticate. You can see this behavior in other apes like gibbons. Songs eventually became speech. The reason music has such emotive power is because we perhaps hear music in the same way that our earlier, apish ancestors heard their communicative songs, which was perhaps a more intense experience.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 4:40:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/21/2012 4:31:42 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 3/21/2012 2:35:05 PM, Ren wrote:
At 3/21/2012 2:26:57 PM, Indophile wrote:
What is it about our audio processing capabilities that makes us so susceptible to music?

No other art form has the universality, or the instant connect to our inner consciousness.

Why?

Because, music is one of the primary composites of reality. Everything that we know of is comprised of patterns, measures, rhythms, and cycles.

I thought this was an intersting thought. Though I would have said "music is an analog of spatiotemporal reality".

I have a competing theory that I don't know why I should abandon.

I think before our ancestors could talk, they sang to each other in order to commuticate. You can see this behavior in other apes like gibbons. Songs eventually became speech. The reason music has such emotive power is because we perhaps hear music in the same way that our earlier, apish ancestors heard their communicative songs, which was perhaps a more intense experience.

I don't see why that needs to be in conflict. That's a perfectly reasonable theory; however, that does not contradict that music is a natural aspect of reality that we simply recognize as we do light, and as images, scents, and touches can evoke strong emotions, so can sound, and in music (and language) specifically.

Check this out: http://www.nslij-genetics.org...

Music is so much more intense than we realize... one day, I believe that science and art will be nearly indistinguishable; religion will remain applicable, but in an entirely different way.

Watch.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 4:49:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/21/2012 4:40:00 PM, Ren wrote:
At 3/21/2012 4:31:42 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 3/21/2012 2:35:05 PM, Ren wrote:
At 3/21/2012 2:26:57 PM, Indophile wrote:
What is it about our audio processing capabilities that makes us so susceptible to music?

No other art form has the universality, or the instant connect to our inner consciousness.

Why?

Because, music is one of the primary composites of reality. Everything that we know of is comprised of patterns, measures, rhythms, and cycles.

I thought this was an intersting thought. Though I would have said "music is an analog of spatiotemporal reality".

I have a competing theory that I don't know why I should abandon.

I think before our ancestors could talk, they sang to each other in order to commuticate. You can see this behavior in other apes like gibbons. Songs eventually became speech. The reason music has such emotive power is because we perhaps hear music in the same way that our earlier, apish ancestors heard their communicative songs, which was perhaps a more intense experience.

I don't see why that needs to be in conflict.

Good point. Both theories could prove to be true for all I know.

That's a perfectly reasonable theory; however, that does not contradict that music is a natural aspect of reality that we simply recognize as we do light, and as images, scents, and touches can evoke strong emotions, so can sound, and in music (and language) specifically.

Check this out: http://www.nslij-genetics.org...

I'll have to listen to some of this when I get off work. Sounds intereting.


Music is so much more intense than we realize... one day, I believe that science and art will be nearly indistinguishable; religion will remain applicable, but in an entirely different way.

Watch.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 5:02:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ren: Because, music is one of the primary composites of reality.

The Fool: That's a bold claim.

Ren: Everything that we know of is comprised of patterns, measures, rhythms, and cycles.

The Fool: That's much better.

Ren: matter/energy and the several constants that we've discovered, which define interactions between matter and energy.

The Fool: yeah sound is a set of frequencies of waves through molecules, hitting your ear drums.

Indophile: The interactions between matter and energy are purely physical phenomena and have nothing to do with our consciousness, as such, have they?

The Fool: Of course they do. Or you couldn't feel pain or you would not be affected by drugs. So there is definitely interaction and it following that they share the same reality!

Lickdafoot: So it makes sense that music gives us an emotional reaction.

The Fool: Here I will attempt add what little I understand about it with what good propositions you guys already mentioned. Our brain reacts positively to highly layered organized, finite set of patterns. I know that in order for sound to be Musical it must have a finite cycle of repeated sets of melodies (aka synonymous sets of pattern of frequencies) the rate of completion of the series sets the rhythm. Another huge factor is Harmony. That is many layered types of pattern which all remain their own yet synchronic with the general repeated cycle. E.g. Synchronic layers are singing, rhymes, and any other factor that add a very unlikely set of coincidences. The highly organized Harmony elicits perception of purpose. All purpose is inherent in your emotional conditioning, and they are the source of all motivation which help explain the intuition to move with the rhythm.
But that is just of my head. Don't quote me on it.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 5:08:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/21/2012 2:26:57 PM, Indophile wrote:
What is it about our audio processing capabilities that makes us so susceptible to music?

No other art form has the universality, or the instant connect to our inner consciousness.

Why?:

I've wondered the same thing many times. There are alot of theories about it, but somehow trying to explain it seems to cheapen it.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 5:08:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Cause.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 11:54:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Our perception is through music. Everything is music.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 4:12:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/21/2012 5:08:20 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 3/21/2012 2:26:57 PM, Indophile wrote:
What is it about our audio processing capabilities that makes us so susceptible to music?

No other art form has the universality, or the instant connect to our inner consciousness.

Why?:

I've wondered the same thing many times. There are alot of theories about it, but somehow trying to explain it seems to cheapen it.

That's up to you. All the things we treasure as humans have a clear, objective reason for existing. Love being a great example.

Understanding what these things are does not have to cheapen them. For example, even though I know that love is nothing more than a cheap chemical reaction in the brain, it doesn't make my love towards my significant other or my family any less important or special.

Music, I think, is pleasant because we do operate rhythmically. Our hearts beat, our blood vessels contract, our nerves pulse, etc. We are creatures who like pattern, order, and harmony.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 12:14:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/21/2012 3:55:49 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Well, the simple answer is that we process music with our auditory cortex. This is the same part of the brain that processes language, and the same area of the brain that deals with memories, specifically long term memories. So it makes sense that music gives us an emotional reaction. It also explains why we can hear a song and immediately be taken back to that moment when we first heard it, many years ago. Also, music stimulates the neural pathways in the hippocampus. This increases the amount of neurons, which increase synaptic connections. So it encourages the connection of ideas or patterns.

But the answer that I personally like is that music is the vibration of the soul :)

Very intelligent response.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan