Jump to topic:

The Transcendent Experience

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 4:52:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Does this belong in Personal? It could also go in Science. All well.

For once, I'm not sure where to start. I'll just start typing.

Early this morning (around 4:00 AM), something amazing happened to me. You may be aware, as I have elaborated in length on before, that I am an avid participator in psychonautics; a practitioner in the altering of consciousness. Usually, this is associated with drug use but it is also the essence of meditation, the route for which I usually take.

(I'm using the word "I" in the post an awful lot and that's a shame, concerning it's intent. Just ignore that.)

I meditate for hours on end every day. Many times I have have extraordinary experiences that stick out from the others. Never have I had an experience quite like this one. This experience is that which is known as ego-loss. I will now describe the experience step by step. However, as I am only 17 years old and have had very little time to practice meditation, I would hope you take everything I say with a grain of salt.

It started off by diving into my usual subdued trance. I sit cross-legged on my bed. I take a few conscious deep breathes, eyes closed, concentrating on the very feeling of existence, regulating my mode of brain waves.

I am in my mind. The world outside is forgotten, at this point. I have gotten passed that most crucial point in meditation that most misunderstand, which is eliminating thought. I do not suppress any thoughts; I let my mind wonder. Effort never gets you anywhere in meditation. It's a trip, as anything else, and you need to let it take you. Or don't. Doesn't matter. There are no goals in meditation either; no "need".

I am definitely in an altered state of consciousness at this point but it is nothing new to me. It's much different from the feeling of being in a dream but the degree to which it feels different from regular experience is well-comparable to the degree of difference between regular experience and a dream, so, if you are trying to imagine it, you can picture a dream, if you like. Speaking only scientifically, what is occurring is the switching on-and-off of different parts of my brain while others than would normally run together with those are left running. That's really all that meditation is, learning how to place certain parts of your mind under the part which controls will. This is quite literally an expansion of consciousness, since the majority of one's mind is not usually under the influence of our consciousness, it is left to sub-conscious mechanisms that we are only very vaguely aware of.

A long time has passed now, though I haven't realized. I am going in and out of mindful rest and my particular sort of thoughts which arise out my primordial chaos of the sub-conscious being probed by the conscious. This is the point at which things start to take a surprising new turn. It occurs to me that I have been trapped in a state of non-change for quite some time, which did trouble me. You see, the course of my life has been one of ever-changing ideas. Conservative Christian, Objectivist, Buddhist, and an absurdly large amount of other perspectives to have. But now I had finally hit a brick wall with Discordianism. I had constantly been in a state of refining my view point through radical contradiction elimination and had inevitably ended at a point which actually worships the concept of contradiction itself. I've been stuck. Unable to achieve a new perspective that goes even deeper. Keep in mind that this didn't come to me all in the form of words, like I attempt to present them to you now. It is just a pure idea. It lacks language.

Out of that idea, rose the next idea. A light-bulb going off, gloriously. Discovering how to get around the brick wall. And it sounds so absurd, regurgitating it now. However, you've got to try to understand the perspective I had of it in that moment. It turned the concept of discovery into a distinct emotion. The idea is simply complete reversal. The snake who devours it's own tail. At first it seemed to was impossible to create a perspective that could plainly say all things in Discordianism is false, since Discordianism already asserts that itself. But in this moment, I truly felt it. For the very first time, this puzzling things called KNOWLEDGE presented itself to me. Whereas before, I had continually be in a state of doubt, no matter what perspective I had. Suddenly, I felt there actually was this things called TRUTH, which went against every single thing in my skeptical character. Except one thing: change. I had fulfilled change, even for only a moment. It filled me more than anything I might have lost.

It is finally, out of this state, that ego-loss occurred. What is, in Buddhist and other traditions, the definition of enlightenment. Before this moment, "absolute-oneness" was just an abstract concept that sounded cool and exemplified a flimsy world-view, never understood. Suddenly, it was my reality. It's important not to think of "enlightenment" as something that is obtained, it doesn't give any special attributes after experiencing it. It's an experience and that's it. I don't know how long it lasted, or if it took up any measurable amount of time at all but I remember waking up seemingly directly afterwards. My first thought, coming back, was that I was surprised to find I was smiling. I made no conscious effort to do so. Perhaps I had been experiencing ecstasy and somehow didn't realize.

Then I went and took a shit , cause I really had to go.

The End.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 5:10:29 PM
i don't have anything particularly insightful to say, but that was enjoyable to read. How long have you been meditating for?
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 5:18:47 PM
So your mind experienced what it wanted to experience through the power of suggestion.

To quote Al Pacino in the movie, Heat, in reference to something extremely asinine: "Well, I am over-f*cking-whelmed"
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2012 5:25:38 PM
At 3/30/2012 5:10:29 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
i don't have anything particularly insightful to say, but that was enjoyable to read. How long have you been meditating for?

Depends how one defines meditation. In it's refined form, only these last two years. However, ever since I was very young I have wandered off alone on most days to find a quite place, usually in the woods, and contemplate deeply.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 12:16:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Naw. :D
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!