Jump to topic:

Catch 22?

Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2012 10:50:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
We'll assume cause and effect is a principle that is absolute when it comes to the beginning of effects for the sake of argument, this means determinism is true and free will is an illusion. If you chose Coke over Pepsi, you can think to yourself "I could have chosen Pepsi, so I have free will" but in reality the choice to choose Coke was completely determined by prior causes (external stimuli manipulating neural activity ect.) that were out of your conscious control, and Pepsi never could have been chosen at that particular time. Now we'll imagine that cause and effect isn't a principle that is absolute when discussing beginnings of effects, this means the universe didn't necessarily need a cause. If one option is chosen then the universe had a cause but free will doesn't exist, if another is chosen then free will exists but the universe didn't have a cause.

Is there a catch 22 here?
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2012 10:53:24 PM
Correction:

I said:

"If one option is chosen then the universe had a cause but free will doesn't exist. If another is chosen, then free will exists but the universe didn't have a cause."

What I meant to say:

"If one option is chosen, then the universe had a cause but free will doesn't exist. If another is chosen, then free will may exist but the universe didn't necessarily have a cause.
SuburbiaSurvivor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2012 11:23:01 PM
I'm pregnant. Your argument is invalid.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"