Jump to topic:

What makes a war justified?

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 8:55:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
If you've been in the Debate.org forum "debate.org", you may have noticed that I have posted a few times about the blog (debateorg.blogspot.co.uk) consisting of posts by the members of this site, for the members of this site, consisting of semi-formal posts about certain issues, as well as goings on in DDO.

http://debateorg.blogspot.co.uk...

Currently, there is a collaborative effort going on, on the Iran/Israel issue. We have a fair bit of information on the politics, but I am looking for someone to help post more about the philosophy of the issues involved, such as what makes a war justified, and applying that to Iran/Israel. If there is anyone who wants to get involved, please message me @ my account here. It would be great to get more people on board.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
jambone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 8:19:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"what makes a war justified."

I would think that what would justify a war is the intent to diminish in general human suffering. Whether that diminishment occurred as the envisioned product of victory or as the slower processes of subjugating a source of generalized suffering identified as the enemy.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 8:29:45 PM
At 4/11/2012 7:52:37 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
bump

Read Michael Walzer's book on the subject. That's a solid place to start.
Tsar of DDO
jambone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 11:06:58 PM
At 2/27/2013 8:29:45 PM, YYW wrote:
At 4/11/2012 7:52:37 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
bump

Read Michael Walzer's book on the subject. That's a solid place to start.

Tell us a little something about it to teak our interest enough to read it. I could recommend Schopenhauer's two volume set of, "The World As Will And Representation." There are some interesting speculations about the foundations of morality.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 8:31:04 PM
I'd say threatening "precision attacks" on US bases in S. Korea, Okinawa, Japan, and Guam would do it.

Or maybe threatening a premptive nuclear attack on Washington DC.

Or just being a whack job lunatic Supreme Leader of a country with Nuclear weapoms.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Cinco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2013 2:58:19 AM
Reality? "Justified" is such a wacky word. If it's a reality, what more justification does it need? You can't win an argument with reality. It will just beat the crap out of you.

The war against reality is just wild, eh?
If your time, to you,
Is worth savin',
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone.
For the times they are a-changin'. - Bob Dylan
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2013 3:00:45 AM
A SERMON ON ETHICS AND LOVE

One day Mal-2 asked the messenger spirit Saint Gulik to approach the Goddess and request Her presence for some desperate advice. Shortly afterwards the radio came on by itself, and an ethereal female Voice said YES?

"O! Eris! Blessed Mother of Man! Queen of Chaos! Daughter of Discord! Concubine of Confusion! O! Exquisite Lady, I beseech You to lift a heavy burden from my heart!"

WHAT BOTHERS YOU, MAL? YOU DON'T SOUND WELL.

"I am filled with fear and tormented with terrible visions of pain. Everywhere people are hurting one another, the planet is rampant with injustices, whole societies plunder groups of their own people, mothers imprison sons, children perish while brothers war. O, woe."

WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH THAT, IF IT IS WHAT YOU WANT TO DO?

"But nobody wants it! Everybody hates it."

OH. WELL, THEN STOP.

At which moment She turned herself into an aspirin commercial and left The Polyfather stranded alone with his species.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2013 3:49:39 AM
When an entity, be it an individual, a country or a group or individual within a country, uses their power in such a way as to oppress others, it is just to go about a process to dissipate that power.

Basically, revolutionary wars - revolting against an oppressive force, by use of force, when you've been forced to do so (because all other options failed, and no more exist which will stop the oppressive force from perpetrating their oppression), it is just.

In no other instance is this true.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2013 2:48:36 PM
People always want more, war is just one way to get it, and if it happened to be the most efficient mean, it is justifiable.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2013 2:58:22 PM
At 3/22/2013 2:48:36 PM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
People always want more, war is just one way to get it, and if it happened to be the most efficient mean, it is justifiable.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2013 3:20:52 PM
When one man decides he is right or superior to another.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.