Total Posts:73|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Isn't it weird to think...

thett3
Posts: 14,372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 10:00:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Don't have much time to post, but doesn't it weird you guys out to think that there are over 7 billion people in the world? Assume you know 5000 people, you know .0000007% of the Human population. The VAST majority of people you will never come in contact with in any way...for all you know, they could be fake.

I have no idea why I posted this thread, but its something thats really been mindblowing lately for some reason.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 11:05:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 10:00:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
Don't have much time to post, but doesn't it weird you guys out to think that there are over 7 billion people in the world? Assume you know 5000 people, you know .0000007% of the Human population. The VAST majority of people you will never come in contact with in any way...for all you know, they could be fake.

I have no idea why I posted this thread, but its something thats really been mindblowing lately for some reason.

This is just self absorption (thinking that all you have come into contact with is all that exists, and everything else may not exist). The reality is the people are not fake, they are real, you are just 1 in 7,000,000,000 people like 1 bacteria in a swarm of bacteria as far as the big picture is concerned :)
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 1:05:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I get that weird feeling, but with most things that you run into every day and take for granite.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 8:31:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 10:00:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
Don't have much time to post, but doesn't it weird you guys out to think that there are over 7 billion people in the world? Assume you know 5000 people, you know .0000007% of the Human population. The VAST majority of people you will never come in contact with in any way...for all you know, they could be fake.

I have no idea why I posted this thread, but its something thats really been mindblowing lately for some reason.

I suppose there really is no objective way to prove that anyone other than I exist in this world. You can take my word for it, that I am most definitely real. :)

Also, considering the fact that (at least most of) the people on this site are capable of arguing through reason, it can be assumed that they are real, as well. After all, as Descartes famously said, "I think, therefore, I am." I can see that other people are capable of rational thought, so there's no reason to suspect they aren't real, as well.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 8:40:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 8:31:46 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:00:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
Don't have much time to post, but doesn't it weird you guys out to think that there are over 7 billion people in the world? Assume you know 5000 people, you know .0000007% of the Human population. The VAST majority of people you will never come in contact with in any way...for all you know, they could be fake.

I have no idea why I posted this thread, but its something thats really been mindblowing lately for some reason.

I suppose there really is no objective way to prove that anyone other than I exist in this world. You can take my word for it, that I am most definitely real. :)

Also, considering the fact that (at least most of) the people on this site are capable of arguing through reason, it can be assumed that they are real, as well. After all, as Descartes famously said, "I think, therefore, I am." I can see that other people are capable of rational thought, so there's no reason to suspect they aren't real, as well.

The Fool: yes it can be objectivly argued. In few ways even. The challenge is open
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 9:09:24 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 8:40:40 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 4/10/2012 8:31:46 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:00:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
Don't have much time to post, but doesn't it weird you guys out to think that there are over 7 billion people in the world? Assume you know 5000 people, you know .0000007% of the Human population. The VAST majority of people you will never come in contact with in any way...for all you know, they could be fake.

I have no idea why I posted this thread, but its something thats really been mindblowing lately for some reason.

I suppose there really is no objective way to prove that anyone other than I exist in this world. You can take my word for it, that I am most definitely real. :)

Also, considering the fact that (at least most of) the people on this site are capable of arguing through reason, it can be assumed that they are real, as well. After all, as Descartes famously said, "I think, therefore, I am." I can see that other people are capable of rational thought, so there's no reason to suspect they aren't real, as well.

The Fool: yes it can be objectivly argued. In few ways even. The challenge is open

I did give an objective argument. I'm open to others, of which you failed to suggest even one.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 9:23:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 9:09:24 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/10/2012 8:40:40 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 4/10/2012 8:31:46 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:00:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
Don't have much time to post, but doesn't it weird you guys out to think that there are over 7 billion people in the world? Assume you know 5000 people, you know .0000007% of the Human population. The VAST majority of people you will never come in contact with in any way...for all you know, they could be fake.

I have no idea why I posted this thread, but its something thats really been mindblowing lately for some reason.

I suppose there really is no objective way to prove that anyone other than I exist in this world. You can take my word for it, that I am most definitely real. :)

Also, considering the fact that (at least most of) the people on this site are capable of arguing through reason, it can be assumed that they are real, as well. After all, as Descartes famously said, "I think, therefore, I am." I can see that other people are capable of rational thought, so there's no reason to suspect they aren't real, as well.

The Fool: yes it can be objectivly argued. In few ways even. The challenge is open

I did give an objective argument. I'm open to others, of which you failed to suggest even one.

The Fool: no you didn't yours is susceptical to the Zombie arguement. I said the challenge was open. From where are you deriving failure from.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 9:28:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 9:23:19 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 4/10/2012 9:09:24 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/10/2012 8:40:40 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 4/10/2012 8:31:46 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:00:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
Don't have much time to post, but doesn't it weird you guys out to think that there are over 7 billion people in the world? Assume you know 5000 people, you know .0000007% of the Human population. The VAST majority of people you will never come in contact with in any way...for all you know, they could be fake.

I have no idea why I posted this thread, but its something thats really been mindblowing lately for some reason.

I suppose there really is no objective way to prove that anyone other than I exist in this world. You can take my word for it, that I am most definitely real. :)

Also, considering the fact that (at least most of) the people on this site are capable of arguing through reason, it can be assumed that they are real, as well. After all, as Descartes famously said, "I think, therefore, I am." I can see that other people are capable of rational thought, so there's no reason to suspect they aren't real, as well.

The Fool: yes it can be objectivly argued. In few ways even. The challenge is open

I did give an objective argument. I'm open to others, of which you failed to suggest even one.

The Fool: no you didn't yours is susceptical to the Zombie arguement. I said the challenge was open. From where are you deriving failure from.

You said "yes it can be objectivly [sic] argued. In few ways even. The challenge is open" Then you didn't show any arguments that can argue objectively. Do you always argue by asserting?
Jon1
Posts: 314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 9:31:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 10:00:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
Don't have much time to post, but doesn't it weird you guys out to think that there are over 7 billion people in the world? Assume you know 5000 people, you know .0000007% of the Human population. The VAST majority of people you will never come in contact with in any way...for all you know, they could be fake.

I have no idea why I posted this thread, but its something thats really been mindblowing lately for some reason.

I already saw the matrix film, so this is not mind-blowing for me. Also, I'm not crazy or bored.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 9:32:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 9:28:42 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/10/2012 9:23:19 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 4/10/2012 9:09:24 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/10/2012 8:40:40 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 4/10/2012 8:31:46 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:00:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
Don't have much time to post, but doesn't it weird you guys out to think that there are over 7 billion people in the world? Assume you know 5000 people, you know .0000007% of the Human population. The VAST majority of people you will never come in contact with in any way...for all you know, they could be fake.

I have no idea why I posted this thread, but its something thats really been mindblowing lately for some reason.

I suppose there really is no objective way to prove that anyone other than I exist in this world. You can take my word for it, that I am most definitely real. :)

Also, considering the fact that (at least most of) the people on this site are capable of arguing through reason, it can be assumed that they are real, as well. After all, as Descartes famously said, "I think, therefore, I am." I can see that other people are capable of rational thought, so there's no reason to suspect they aren't real, as well.

The Fool: yes it can be objectivly argued. In few ways even. The challenge is open

I did give an objective argument. I'm open to others, of which you failed to suggest even one.

The Fool: no you didn't yours is susceptical to the Zombie arguement. I said the challenge was open. From where are you deriving failure from.

You said "yes it can be objectivly [sic] argued. In few ways even. The challenge is open" Then you didn't show any arguments that can argue objectively. Do you always argue by asserting?

The Fool: I just showed an obvious, (to philosophers) whole in yours. Which is a direct refutation, unless you need that to be explained. Secondly I never offered to give one, I just said there is a few. I didnt' say I would give them to you. lol. So its not a failure in anysort..lol
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 9:46:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/9/2012 11:05:40 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:00:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
Don't have much time to post, but doesn't it weird you guys out to think that there are over 7 billion people in the world? Assume you know 5000 people, you know .0000007% of the Human population. The VAST majority of people you will never come in contact with in any way...for all you know, they could be fake.

I have no idea why I posted this thread, but its something thats really been mindblowing lately for some reason.

This is just self absorption (thinking that all you have come into contact with is all that exists, and everything else may not exist). The reality is the people are not fake, they are real, you are just 1 in 7,000,000,000 people like 1 bacteria in a swarm of bacteria as far as the big picture is concerned :)

You have to prove that the universe that you are observing exists and that all of the other beings are humans (insofar as they have sentience and you are not the only rational mind) in order for this to be true.
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 9:50:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 9:32:20 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 4/10/2012 9:28:42 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/10/2012 9:23:19 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 4/10/2012 9:09:24 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/10/2012 8:40:40 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 4/10/2012 8:31:46 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:00:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
Don't have much time to post, but doesn't it weird you guys out to think that there are over 7 billion people in the world? Assume you know 5000 people, you know .0000007% of the Human population. The VAST majority of people you will never come in contact with in any way...for all you know, they could be fake.

I have no idea why I posted this thread, but its something thats really been mindblowing lately for some reason.

I suppose there really is no objective way to prove that anyone other than I exist in this world. You can take my word for it, that I am most definitely real. :)

Also, considering the fact that (at least most of) the people on this site are capable of arguing through reason, it can be assumed that they are real, as well. After all, as Descartes famously said, "I think, therefore, I am." I can see that other people are capable of rational thought, so there's no reason to suspect they aren't real, as well.

The Fool: yes it can be objectivly argued. In few ways even. The challenge is open

I did give an objective argument. I'm open to others, of which you failed to suggest even one.

The Fool: no you didn't yours is susceptical to the Zombie arguement. I said the challenge was open. From where are you deriving failure from.

You said "yes it can be objectivly [sic] argued. In few ways even. The challenge is open" Then you didn't show any arguments that can argue objectively. Do you always argue by asserting?

The Fool: I just showed an obvious, (to philosophers) whole in yours. Which is a direct refutation, unless you need that to be explained. Secondly I never offered to give one, I just said there is a few. I didnt' say I would give them to you. lol. So its not a failure in anysort..lol

You sure like to assume, don't you? I wasn't refuting your claim that my argument has a hole in it. Again, you are asserting. You can't say "there are arguments for it" then not offer any. I can explain assertion to you, if you are unfamiliar with the term.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 9:54:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 9:50:27 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/10/2012 9:32:20 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 4/10/2012 9:28:42 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/10/2012 9:23:19 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 4/10/2012 9:09:24 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/10/2012 8:40:40 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 4/10/2012 8:31:46 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:00:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
Don't have much time to post, but doesn't it weird you guys out to think that there are over 7 billion people in the world? Assume you know 5000 people, you know .0000007% of the Human population. The VAST majority of people you will never come in contact with in any way...for all you know, they could be fake.

I have no idea why I posted this thread, but its something thats really been mindblowing lately for some reason.

I suppose there really is no objective way to prove that anyone other than I exist in this world. You can take my word for it, that I am most definitely real. :)

Also, considering the fact that (at least most of) the people on this site are capable of arguing through reason, it can be assumed that they are real, as well. After all, as Descartes famously said, "I think, therefore, I am." I can see that other people are capable of rational thought, so there's no reason to suspect they aren't real, as well.

The Fool: yes it can be objectivly argued. In few ways even. The challenge is open

I did give an objective argument. I'm open to others, of which you failed to suggest even one.

The Fool: no you didn't yours is susceptical to the Zombie arguement. I said the challenge was open. From where are you deriving failure from.

You said "yes it can be objectivly [sic] argued. In few ways even. The challenge is open" Then you didn't show any arguments that can argue objectively. Do you always argue by asserting?

The Fool: I just showed an obvious, (to philosophers) whole in yours. Which is a direct refutation, unless you need that to be explained. Secondly I never offered to give one, I just said there is a few. I didnt' say I would give them to you. lol. So its not a failure in anysort..lol

You sure like to assume, don't you? I wasn't refuting your claim that my argument has a hole in it. Again, you are asserting. You can't say "there are arguments for it" then not offer any. I can explain assertion to you, if you are unfamiliar with the term.

The Fool: I said there are some as in I know some. There are no bold assumption being made.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 4:34:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 9:46:15 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/9/2012 11:05:40 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:00:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
Don't have much time to post, but doesn't it weird you guys out to think that there are over 7 billion people in the world? Assume you know 5000 people, you know .0000007% of the Human population. The VAST majority of people you will never come in contact with in any way...for all you know, they could be fake.

I have no idea why I posted this thread, but its something thats really been mindblowing lately for some reason.

This is just self absorption (thinking that all you have come into contact with is all that exists, and everything else may not exist). The reality is the people are not fake, they are real, you are just 1 in 7,000,000,000 people like 1 bacteria in a swarm of bacteria as far as the big picture is concerned :)

You have to prove that the universe that you are observing exists and that all of the other beings are humans (insofar as they have sentience and you are not the only rational mind) in order for this to be true.

Are you proposing that it's possible that only I exist and everyone else it just an illusion? The problem with this argument is that you exist, therefore that's 2 people we know actually exist, so your argument fails. The universe may not be the way we view it for all we know, but some kind of universe must exist since we exist and have to be placed somewhere.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 4:35:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 4:34:06 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/10/2012 9:46:15 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/9/2012 11:05:40 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:00:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
Don't have much time to post, but doesn't it weird you guys out to think that there are over 7 billion people in the world? Assume you know 5000 people, you know .0000007% of the Human population. The VAST majority of people you will never come in contact with in any way...for all you know, they could be fake.

I have no idea why I posted this thread, but its something thats really been mindblowing lately for some reason.

This is just self absorption (thinking that all you have come into contact with is all that exists, and everything else may not exist). The reality is the people are not fake, they are real, you are just 1 in 7,000,000,000 people like 1 bacteria in a swarm of bacteria as far as the big picture is concerned :)

You have to prove that the universe that you are observing exists and that all of the other beings are humans (insofar as they have sentience and you are not the only rational mind) in order for this to be true.

Are you proposing that it's possible that only I exist and everyone else it just an illusion?
That is completely possible.
The problem with this argument is that you exist, therefore that's 2 people we know actually exist, so your argument fails.
What? This is a nonsequitor.
The universe may not be the way we view it for all we know, but some kind of universe must exist since we exist and have to be placed somewhere.

True, but for all I know, everything in this universe but me is fake.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 7:07:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 4:35:28 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/10/2012 4:34:06 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/10/2012 9:46:15 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/9/2012 11:05:40 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:00:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
Don't have much time to post, but doesn't it weird you guys out to think that there are over 7 billion people in the world? Assume you know 5000 people, you know .0000007% of the Human population. The VAST majority of people you will never come in contact with in any way...for all you know, they could be fake.

I have no idea why I posted this thread, but its something thats really been mindblowing lately for some reason.

This is just self absorption (thinking that all you have come into contact with is all that exists, and everything else may not exist). The reality is the people are not fake, they are real, you are just 1 in 7,000,000,000 people like 1 bacteria in a swarm of bacteria as far as the big picture is concerned :)

You have to prove that the universe that you are observing exists and that all of the other beings are humans (insofar as they have sentience and you are not the only rational mind) in order for this to be true.

Are you proposing that it's possible that only I exist and everyone else it just an illusion?
That is completely possible.
The problem with this argument is that you exist, therefore that's 2 people we know actually exist, so your argument fails.
What? This is a nonsequitor.
The universe may not be the way we view it for all we know, but some kind of universe must exist since we exist and have to be placed somewhere.

True, but for all I know, everything in this universe but me is fake.

"True, but for all I know, everything in this universe but me is fake"

Sounds pretty arrogant and far-fetched. Do you have any reasoning or evidence to support this possibility?
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 7:14:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 7:07:48 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Sounds pretty arrogant and far-fetched. Do you have any reasoning or evidence to support this possibility?

Solipsism is arrogant and far-fetched, but those are just opinions.

Could it be true? Sure.

Should it be believed to be true? Of course not, because as you've alluded, there's no evidence to support it.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 9:24:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 1:05:51 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I get that weird feeling, but with most things that you run into every day and take for granite.

I take it for marble.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 9:50:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 7:07:48 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Sounds pretty arrogant and far-fetched. Do you have any reasoning or evidence to support this possibility?

P1.I don't know that not-h [h = some skeptical ‘hypothesis'; e.g., that I'm a bodiless brain in a vat, being stimulated to have just those experiences I would be having if I weren't a ‘BIV'].
P2.If I don't know that not-h, then I don't know that p [p = some mundane proposition which we commonly take ourselves to know; e.g., that I have hands].
C.So, I don't know that p
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 8:52:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 7:14:53 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 4/10/2012 7:07:48 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Sounds pretty arrogant and far-fetched. Do you have any reasoning or evidence to support this possibility?

Solipsism is arrogant and far-fetched, but those are just opinions.

Could it be true? Sure.

Should it be believed to be true? Of course not, because as you've alluded, there's no evidence to support it.

...and no evidence to refute it
Rob
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 8:56:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 7:07:48 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/10/2012 4:35:28 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/10/2012 4:34:06 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/10/2012 9:46:15 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/9/2012 11:05:40 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:00:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
Don't have much time to post, but doesn't it weird you guys out to think that there are over 7 billion people in the world? Assume you know 5000 people, you know .0000007% of the Human population. The VAST majority of people you will never come in contact with in any way...for all you know, they could be fake.

I have no idea why I posted this thread, but its something thats really been mindblowing lately for some reason.

This is just self absorption (thinking that all you have come into contact with is all that exists, and everything else may not exist). The reality is the people are not fake, they are real, you are just 1 in 7,000,000,000 people like 1 bacteria in a swarm of bacteria as far as the big picture is concerned :)

You have to prove that the universe that you are observing exists and that all of the other beings are humans (insofar as they have sentience and you are not the only rational mind) in order for this to be true.

Are you proposing that it's possible that only I exist and everyone else it just an illusion?
That is completely possible.
The problem with this argument is that you exist, therefore that's 2 people we know actually exist, so your argument fails.
What? This is a nonsequitor.
The universe may not be the way we view it for all we know, but some kind of universe must exist since we exist and have to be placed somewhere.

True, but for all I know, everything in this universe but me is fake.

"True, but for all I know, everything in this universe but me is fake"

Sounds pretty arrogant and far-fetched. Do you have any reasoning or evidence to support this possibility?

I'm not trying to be arrogant. This is actually a famous philosophical question.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 8:56:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 7:14:53 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 4/10/2012 7:07:48 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Sounds pretty arrogant and far-fetched. Do you have any reasoning or evidence to support this possibility?

Solipsism is arrogant and far-fetched, but those are just opinions.

Could it be true? Sure.

Should it be believed to be true? Of course not, because as you've alluded, there's no evidence to support it.

There is also no evidence to support that this universe is real.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 9:37:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/10/2012 9:50:34 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 4/10/2012 7:07:48 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Sounds pretty arrogant and far-fetched. Do you have any reasoning or evidence to support this possibility?


P1.I don't know that not-h [h = some skeptical ‘hypothesis'; e.g., that I'm a bodiless brain in a vat, being stimulated to have just those experiences I would be having if I weren't a ‘BIV'].
P2.If I don't know that not-h, then I don't know that p [p = some mundane proposition which we commonly take ourselves to know; e.g., that I have hands].
C.So, I don't know that p

Just because we don't know whether reality is fake or not, doesn't mean it's possible for it to be fake. These are just ideas, they aren't backed up by reasoning or evidence.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 9:52:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/11/2012 8:56:34 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/10/2012 7:07:48 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/10/2012 4:35:28 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/10/2012 4:34:06 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/10/2012 9:46:15 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/9/2012 11:05:40 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:00:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
Don't have much time to post, but doesn't it weird you guys out to think that there are over 7 billion people in the world? Assume you know 5000 people, you know .0000007% of the Human population. The VAST majority of people you will never come in contact with in any way...for all you know, they could be fake.

I have no idea why I posted this thread, but its something thats really been mindblowing lately for some reason.

This is just self absorption (thinking that all you have come into contact with is all that exists, and everything else may not exist). The reality is the people are not fake, they are real, you are just 1 in 7,000,000,000 people like 1 bacteria in a swarm of bacteria as far as the big picture is concerned :)

You have to prove that the universe that you are observing exists and that all of the other beings are humans (insofar as they have sentience and you are not the only rational mind) in order for this to be true.

Are you proposing that it's possible that only I exist and everyone else it just an illusion?
That is completely possible.
The problem with this argument is that you exist, therefore that's 2 people we know actually exist, so your argument fails.
What? This is a nonsequitor.
The universe may not be the way we view it for all we know, but some kind of universe must exist since we exist and have to be placed somewhere.

True, but for all I know, everything in this universe but me is fake.

"True, but for all I know, everything in this universe but me is fake"

Sounds pretty arrogant and far-fetched. Do you have any reasoning or evidence to support this possibility?

I'm not trying to be arrogant. This is actually a famous philosophical question.

It seems like a pretty stupid idea to me. If it's possible that only I exist you have to admit that it's possible that you don't think, you don't exist, and you are just a figure in my world because only I exist. However as you type on this message board you think and you exist, therefore this shatters the theory that only I exist.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 9:53:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/11/2012 9:52:02 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/11/2012 8:56:34 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/10/2012 7:07:48 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/10/2012 4:35:28 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/10/2012 4:34:06 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/10/2012 9:46:15 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/9/2012 11:05:40 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:00:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
Don't have much time to post, but doesn't it weird you guys out to think that there are over 7 billion people in the world? Assume you know 5000 people, you know .0000007% of the Human population. The VAST majority of people you will never come in contact with in any way...for all you know, they could be fake.

I have no idea why I posted this thread, but its something thats really been mindblowing lately for some reason.

This is just self absorption (thinking that all you have come into contact with is all that exists, and everything else may not exist). The reality is the people are not fake, they are real, you are just 1 in 7,000,000,000 people like 1 bacteria in a swarm of bacteria as far as the big picture is concerned :)

You have to prove that the universe that you are observing exists and that all of the other beings are humans (insofar as they have sentience and you are not the only rational mind) in order for this to be true.

Are you proposing that it's possible that only I exist and everyone else it just an illusion?
That is completely possible.
The problem with this argument is that you exist, therefore that's 2 people we know actually exist, so your argument fails.
What? This is a nonsequitor.
The universe may not be the way we view it for all we know, but some kind of universe must exist since we exist and have to be placed somewhere.

True, but for all I know, everything in this universe but me is fake.

"True, but for all I know, everything in this universe but me is fake"

Sounds pretty arrogant and far-fetched. Do you have any reasoning or evidence to support this possibility?

I'm not trying to be arrogant. This is actually a famous philosophical question.

It seems like a pretty stupid idea to me. If it's possible that only I exist you have to admit that it's possible that you don't think, you don't exist, and you are just a figure in my world because only I exist. However as you type on this message board you think and you exist, therefore this shatters the theory that only I exist.

You are presuming that objects in your hypothetical world cannot think that they exist or at the very least express their existence.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 9:57:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
So pretty much a slightly altered version of Solipsism.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 10:25:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/11/2012 9:37:41 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/10/2012 9:50:34 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 4/10/2012 7:07:48 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Sounds pretty arrogant and far-fetched. Do you have any reasoning or evidence to support this possibility?


P1.I don't know that not-h [h = some skeptical ‘hypothesis'; e.g., that I'm a bodiless brain in a vat, being stimulated to have just those experiences I would be having if I weren't a ‘BIV'].
P2.If I don't know that not-h, then I don't know that p [p = some mundane proposition which we commonly take ourselves to know; e.g., that I have hands].
C.So, I don't know that p

Just because we don't know whether reality is fake or not, doesn't mean it's possible for it to be fake. These are just ideas, they aren't backed up by reasoning or evidence.

Have you ever taken an intro to philosophy class, or better yet, just googled external world skepticism? are you saying that it's logically or epistemically impossible for reality as we know it to be fake?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 10:33:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/11/2012 9:52:02 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/11/2012 8:56:34 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/10/2012 7:07:48 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/10/2012 4:35:28 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/10/2012 4:34:06 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/10/2012 9:46:15 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/9/2012 11:05:40 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/9/2012 10:00:14 PM, thett3 wrote:
Don't have much time to post, but doesn't it weird you guys out to think that there are over 7 billion people in the world? Assume you know 5000 people, you know .0000007% of the Human population. The VAST majority of people you will never come in contact with in any way...for all you know, they could be fake.

I have no idea why I posted this thread, but its something thats really been mindblowing lately for some reason.

This is just self absorption (thinking that all you have come into contact with is all that exists, and everything else may not exist). The reality is the people are not fake, they are real, you are just 1 in 7,000,000,000 people like 1 bacteria in a swarm of bacteria as far as the big picture is concerned :)

You have to prove that the universe that you are observing exists and that all of the other beings are humans (insofar as they have sentience and you are not the only rational mind) in order for this to be true.

Are you proposing that it's possible that only I exist and everyone else it just an illusion?
That is completely possible.
The problem with this argument is that you exist, therefore that's 2 people we know actually exist, so your argument fails.
What? This is a nonsequitor.
The universe may not be the way we view it for all we know, but some kind of universe must exist since we exist and have to be placed somewhere.

True, but for all I know, everything in this universe but me is fake.

"True, but for all I know, everything in this universe but me is fake"

Sounds pretty arrogant and far-fetched. Do you have any reasoning or evidence to support this possibility?


I'm not trying to be arrogant. This is actually a famous philosophical question.

It seems like a pretty stupid idea to me. If it's possible that only I exist you have to admit that it's possible that you don't think, you don't exist, and you are just a figure in my world because only I exist. However as you type on this message board you think and you exist, therefore this shatters the theory that only I exist.

How do you know that an evil cartesian demon isn't decieving your senses by making you think someone named royal paladin is replying to your messages when really it's no one? How do you know you're not a brain in a vat being stimulated by mad scientists to experience everything you are experiencing right now except it's not veridical?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2012 11:19:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/11/2012 10:25:11 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 4/11/2012 9:37:41 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 4/10/2012 9:50:34 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 4/10/2012 7:07:48 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Sounds pretty arrogant and far-fetched. Do you have any reasoning or evidence to support this possibility?


P1.I don't know that not-h [h = some skeptical ‘hypothesis'; e.g., that I'm a bodiless brain in a vat, being stimulated to have just those experiences I would be having if I weren't a ‘BIV'].
P2.If I don't know that not-h, then I don't know that p [p = some mundane proposition which we commonly take ourselves to know; e.g., that I have hands].
C.So, I don't know that p

Just because we don't know whether reality is fake or not, doesn't mean it's possible for it to be fake. These are just ideas, they aren't backed up by reasoning or evidence.




"Have you ever taken an intro to philosophy class, or better yet, just googled external world skepticism? are you saying that it's logically or epistemically impossible for reality as we know it to be fake?"


Reality could be fake, what I was implying (I apologize if I wasn't strict enough on the wording) is that I don't see how it's possible that only I exist. We could ALL exist in a fake reality, sure, but the thought that only I exist is pretty close to impossible and there has been no reasoning to lead me to believe that it is possible.

I mean technically reality is just you, because reality didn't exist as far as your concerned until you were born and reality will come to an end when you die. All you experience is in your life on the planet and that's all you will ever experience so technically in your mind you are all that exists because when you don't exist, nothing exists as far as your concerned because if you don't exist, you can perceive no existence.

So I see how it's possible for the human mind to come across these philosophical thoughts, but I don't see how it's actually possible.

Do you believe that just because a human mind can conjure up a thought, that it all of a sudden makes the thought objectively possible in physical reality?