Total Posts:50|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Pleasure?

Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 12:52:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Several concepts play into my worldview, but one of the primary ones is pleasure. There's two things about pleasure that fascinate me. The first is that it is the only natural aspect of reality that I have encountered for who's necessity I have never heard a convincing argument. With so many other devices, such as instinct, learned behavior, collective manipulation, etc., why does pleasure exist?

What's even more interesting to me is that humans are largely ashamed of pleasure. All derivations of pleasure should be engaged in private, with the exception of food.

Why are humans so afraid, and yet, so consumed with pleasure? Why does it even exist?

Lets converse.
cheesedingo1
Posts: 695
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 1:08:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Good topic. I too, am interested by the idea of pleasure. I beleive that the reason we do all of these pleasures on private is because we are ashamed of ourselves when we do something we are unsure of. Religions and such teach us that pleasures are frowned upon. Just an idea.
My name is Cheesedingo1. I am a dingo. Made of cheese. My favorite number is one. BOOM.
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 1:35:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Why is pleasure necessary?

Well our primary mode of perceiving is through the senses. Pleasure engages those senses into a heightened state of awareness, and thus a heightened perception of existence. Much that we do in life is for pleasure, if not immediate pleasure than for pleasure in the future, as pleasure is the most basic way to experience joy.

I think some consider it as a weakness to derive joy from external forces, and thus are more inclined not to express pleasure as freely. I think that's frivolous though because it presupposes the construct that we need to have control of our environment in order to be powerful enough to attain a place in society. There is nothing wrong with pleasure, as long as you are not overindulging (to the point where it hurts you or those around you.)
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 1:41:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Pleasure is naturally derived from evolution. Individuals who experience more pleasure from committing a certain beneficial action are more likely to commit it and thus pass on their genes. An obvious example is sex.

We only feel guilt about our pleasures because we are conditioned to by society.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 1:51:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Dingo -- I don't know... if there's anything I'd say we are certain of, it's pleasure.

Lickie -- You believe that pleasure is more intense than other sensations? I don't know, I'd say it's at least part with pain, if pain doesn't surpass it. I'm inclined to say that fear is stronger than both pleasure and pain as an incentive to act.

Why would pleasure be considered a weakness? I'm interested in frivolity, though... I mean, pleasure wouldn't be nearly as pleasurable if it were ubiquitous... however, there are degrees of pleasure, I fancy, and I see why any of them need to be out of reach. Then, of course, there's whatever it requires to attain this pleasure, causing that balance to become a natural facet of the pleasure experience. Therefore, I see no reason why we should reject it.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 1:52:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Pally -- as I indicated before, there are other incentives, and I'd say that many of those are even more convincing than pleasure. Say, fear or pain for example.

Society isn't separate of "us." "We" are society. Moreover, that doesn't explain why guilt about pleasure seems to pervade just about every culture that exists.

Curious, that.
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 2:09:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/17/2012 1:51:14 PM, Ren wrote:
Dingo -- I don't know... if there's anything I'd say we are certain of, it's pleasure.

Lickie -- You believe that pleasure is more intense than other sensations? I don't know, I'd say it's at least part with pain, if pain doesn't surpass it. I'm inclined to say that fear is stronger than both pleasure and pain as an incentive to act.

No, there are certainly other sensations more intense. (although pain is on the same plane as pleasure considering they are opposites.) I meant that pleasure gives us a heightened state of awareness in general, compared to one's baseline, not that it is the most heightened state. However, it is a state that is easy to reach (in different levels of intensity.)

Why would pleasure be considered a weakness? I'm interested in frivolity, though... I mean, pleasure wouldn't be nearly as pleasurable if it were ubiquitous... however, there are degrees of pleasure, I fancy, and I see why any of them need to be out of reach. Then, of course, there's whatever it requires to attain this pleasure, causing that balance to become a natural facet of the pleasure experience. Therefore, I see no reason why we should reject it.

I think it would be considered a weakness because it is admitting that your environment has some sort of control over you. People have such a fixation on attaining control over their surroundings and that effects how they experience pleasure, something that is directly dependent on their environment. I don't agree with this idea at all. I believe that true power comes from learning to let things around you go.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
SuburbiaSurvivor
Posts: 872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 2:18:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/17/2012 12:52:48 PM, Ren wrote:
Several concepts play into my worldview, but one of the primary ones is pleasure. There's two things about pleasure that fascinate me. The first is that it is the only natural aspect of reality that I have encountered for who's necessity I have never heard a convincing argument. With so many other devices, such as instinct, learned behavior, collective manipulation, etc., why does pleasure exist?

What's even more interesting to me is that humans are largely ashamed of pleasure. All derivations of pleasure should be engaged in private, with the exception of food.

Why are humans so afraid, and yet, so consumed with pleasure? Why does it even exist?

Lets converse.

Hmm, I can't say I agree with you. I see no inherent fear of pleasure itself within society. There is, of course, the fear of partaking in certain types of pleasure in certain scenarios, yes, but not in every context.

For example, why are people afraid of having sex in a public place? Society generally looks on sex as a good thing. Each party is experiencing pleasure, so what's the problem? One can only assume that partaking in that pleasure in that context causes some kind of harm, otherwise the fear is irrational.

We love joy and fear pain. Some pleasures lead to pain thus we fear them. There is no fear of the pleasure itself, but of the pain that may follow.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
cheesedingo1
Posts: 695
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 2:25:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/17/2012 2:09:27 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 4/17/2012 1:51:14 PM, Ren wrote:
Dingo -- I don't know... if there's anything I'd say we are certain of, it's pleasure.

Lickie -- You believe that pleasure is more intense than other sensations? I don't know, I'd say it's at least part with pain, if pain doesn't surpass it. I'm inclined to say that fear is stronger than both pleasure and pain as an incentive to act.

No, there are certainly other sensations more intense. (although pain is on the same plane as pleasure considering they are opposites.) I meant that pleasure gives us a heightened state of awareness in general, compared to one's baseline, not that it is the most heightened state. However, it is a state that is easy to reach (in different levels of intensity.)

Why would pleasure be considered a weakness? I'm interested in frivolity, though... I mean, pleasure wouldn't be nearly as pleasurable if it were ubiquitous... however, there are degrees of pleasure, I fancy, and I see why any of them need to be out of reach. Then, of course, there's whatever it requires to attain this pleasure, causing that balance to become a natural facet of the pleasure experience. Therefore, I see no reason why we should reject it.

I think it would be considered a weakness because it is admitting that your environment has some sort of control over you. People have such a fixation on attaining control over their surroundings and that effects how they experience pleasure, something that is directly dependent on their environment. I don't agree with this idea at all. I believe that true power comes from learning to let things around you go.

Pleasure is mentallity. I beleive that we all percieve pleasure differently. And the amount of pleasure that we do receive affects each of us differently. So in what way of pleasure are you revering to ren? (I'm not trying to be perverted)
My name is Cheesedingo1. I am a dingo. Made of cheese. My favorite number is one. BOOM.
cheesedingo1
Posts: 695
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 2:30:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Pleasure is mentallity. I beleive that we all percieve pleasure differently. And the amount of pleasure that we do receive affects each of us differently. So in what way of pleasure are you revering to ren? (I'm not trying to be perverted). And I don't beleive it to be a weakness, but a gift.
My name is Cheesedingo1. I am a dingo. Made of cheese. My favorite number is one. BOOM.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 2:35:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/17/2012 2:09:27 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

I think it would be considered a weakness because it is admitting that your environment has some sort of control over you. People have such a fixation on attaining control over their surroundings and that effects how they experience pleasure, something that is directly dependent on their environment. I don't agree with this idea at all. I believe that true power comes from learning to let things around you go.

Interesting... admitting that the environment has control, huh?

That's such a strange perspective, though, given there's nothing that I can see the environment doing with such control... it's as though the environment has some sort of consciousness, and this consciousness has some sort of intention. I can't relate, so perhaps, that's why this fear is so nebulous to me.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 2:37:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/17/2012 2:18:36 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:

Hmm, I can't say I agree with you. I see no inherent fear of pleasure itself within society. There is, of course, the fear of partaking in certain types of pleasure in certain scenarios, yes, but not in every context.

What sort of pleasure would you say that people are not inclined to feel guilty about in one way or another?

For example, why are people afraid of having sex in a public place? Society generally looks on sex as a good thing.

Really? I don't know about all that. As far as I can tell, sex is taboo, and thus, generally regarded as a bad thing. Let's not even get into types of sexuality...

Each party is experiencing pleasure, so what's the problem?

Lol, I have no idea.

One can only assume that partaking in that pleasure in that context causes some kind of harm, otherwise the fear is irrational.

Precisely.

We love joy and fear pain. Some pleasures lead to pain thus we fear them. There is no fear of the pleasure itself, but of the pain that may follow.

??? Seems a little contradictory to everything else you just said...
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 2:38:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/17/2012 2:25:46 PM, cheesedingo1 wrote:
At 4/17/2012 2:09:27 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 4/17/2012 1:51:14 PM, Ren wrote:
Dingo -- I don't know... if there's anything I'd say we are certain of, it's pleasure.

Lickie -- You believe that pleasure is more intense than other sensations? I don't know, I'd say it's at least part with pain, if pain doesn't surpass it. I'm inclined to say that fear is stronger than both pleasure and pain as an incentive to act.

No, there are certainly other sensations more intense. (although pain is on the same plane as pleasure considering they are opposites.) I meant that pleasure gives us a heightened state of awareness in general, compared to one's baseline, not that it is the most heightened state. However, it is a state that is easy to reach (in different levels of intensity.)

Why would pleasure be considered a weakness? I'm interested in frivolity, though... I mean, pleasure wouldn't be nearly as pleasurable if it were ubiquitous... however, there are degrees of pleasure, I fancy, and I see why any of them need to be out of reach. Then, of course, there's whatever it requires to attain this pleasure, causing that balance to become a natural facet of the pleasure experience. Therefore, I see no reason why we should reject it.

I think it would be considered a weakness because it is admitting that your environment has some sort of control over you. People have such a fixation on attaining control over their surroundings and that effects how they experience pleasure, something that is directly dependent on their environment. I don't agree with this idea at all. I believe that true power comes from learning to let things around you go.

Pleasure is mentallity. I beleive that we all percieve pleasure differently. And the amount of pleasure that we do receive affects each of us differently. So in what way of pleasure are you revering to ren? (I'm not trying to be perverted)

Well, I suppose I'm referring to pleasure in a general sense. I mean, sure, there are people out there that don't enjoy orgasms, but they're few and far between; accordingly, most people know what I'm talking about what I say that something delicious is orgasmic.
cheesedingo1
Posts: 695
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 2:43:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/17/2012 2:38:27 PM, Ren wrote:
At 4/17/2012 2:25:46 PM, cheesedingo1 wrote:
At 4/17/2012 2:09:27 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 4/17/2012 1:51:14 PM, Ren wrote:
Dingo -- I don't know... if there's anything I'd say we are certain of, it's pleasure.

Lickie -- You believe that pleasure is more intense than other sensations? I don't know, I'd say it's at least part with pain, if pain doesn't surpass it. I'm inclined to say that fear is stronger than both pleasure and pain as an incentive to act.

No, there are certainly other sensations more intense. (although pain is on the same plane as pleasure considering they are opposites.) I meant that pleasure gives us a heightened state of awareness in general, compared to one's baseline, not that it is the most heightened state. However, it is a state that is easy to reach (in different levels of intensity.)

Why would pleasure be considered a weakness? I'm interested in frivolity, though... I mean, pleasure wouldn't be nearly as pleasurable if it were ubiquitous... however, there are degrees of pleasure, I fancy, and I see why any of them need to be out of reach. Then, of course, there's whatever it requires to attain this pleasure, causing that balance to become a natural facet of the pleasure experience. Therefore, I see no reason why we should reject it.

I think it would be considered a weakness because it is admitting that your environment has some sort of control over you. People have such a fixation on attaining control over their surroundings and that effects how they experience pleasure, something that is directly dependent on their environment. I don't agree with this idea at all. I believe that true power comes from learning to let things around you go.

Pleasure is mentallity. I beleive that we all percieve pleasure differently. And the amount of pleasure that we do receive affects each of us differently. So in what way of pleasure are you revering to ren? (I'm not trying to be perverted)

Well, I suppose I'm referring to pleasure in a general sense. I mean, sure, there are people out there that don't enjoy orgasms, but they're few and far between; accordingly, most people know what I'm talking about what I say that something delicious is orgasmic.

Like I said, pleasure varies so widely, we need to narrow it down a bit. Can you give one example so that we can discuss it more accurately?
My name is Cheesedingo1. I am a dingo. Made of cheese. My favorite number is one. BOOM.
Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 2:44:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/17/2012 12:52:48 PM, Ren wrote:
Several concepts play into my worldview, but one of the primary ones is pleasure. There's two things about pleasure that fascinate me. The first is that it is the only natural aspect of reality that I have encountered for who's necessity I have never heard a convincing argument. With so many other devices, such as instinct, learned behavior, collective manipulation, etc., why does pleasure exist?

What's even more interesting to me is that humans are largely ashamed of pleasure. All derivations of pleasure should be engaged in private, with the exception of food.

Why are humans so afraid, and yet, so consumed with pleasure? Why does it even exist?

Lets converse.

Experiencing "pleasure" makes us lose control of ourselves and leaves us vulnerable. This is why, I think, we engage in acts of pleasure when there's no one around, or in private, or in safe places.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 2:47:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/17/2012 2:35:05 PM, Ren wrote:
At 4/17/2012 2:09:27 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

I think it would be considered a weakness because it is admitting that your environment has some sort of control over you. People have such a fixation on attaining control over their surroundings and that effects how they experience pleasure, something that is directly dependent on their environment. I don't agree with this idea at all. I believe that true power comes from learning to let things around you go.

Interesting... admitting that the environment has control, huh?

That's such a strange perspective, though, given there's nothing that I can see the environment doing with such control... it's as though the environment has some sort of consciousness, and this consciousness has some sort of intention. I can't relate, so perhaps, that's why this fear is so nebulous to me.

It's not what the environment will do to you. It's what other people will do to you if you don't maintain a seemblance of control. It's BS, but so many people subsribe to this mentality. You can see it when they go apesh!t if something doesn't go according to their preconceived plan.

I guess it relates to pleasure in the sense that you have to let go a bit in order to experience pleasure. You have to succumb to the beauty of what is around you, and that is inhibiting.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
SuburbiaSurvivor
Posts: 872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 2:51:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/17/2012 2:37:19 PM, Ren wrote:
At 4/17/2012 2:18:36 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:

Hmm, I can't say I agree with you. I see no inherent fear of pleasure itself within society. There is, of course, the fear of partaking in certain types of pleasure in certain scenarios, yes, but not in every context.

What sort of pleasure would you say that people are not inclined to feel guilty about in one way or another?

It really depends on context. I'd say there's really no ultimately harmless pleasure. But I'm not really trying to say that all pleasure is harmless.

For example, why are people afraid of having sex in a public place? Society generally looks on sex as a good thing.

Really? I don't know about all that. As far as I can tell, sex is taboo, and thus, generally regarded as a bad thing. Let's not even get into types of sexuality...

Not quite. Sex itself is not necessarily a taboo. However, sex in many scenarios is considered taboo. For example, incest, rape, sex before marriage, etc. While the last one is hotly debated, those that oppose it do so because they believe there are negative consequences. No one opposes pleasure unless someone else experiencing pleasure causes them self some kind of pain.

Each party is experiencing pleasure, so what's the problem?

Lol, I have no idea.

If sex in public causes some kind of harm, then there is a problem.

One can only assume that partaking in that pleasure in that context causes some kind of harm, otherwise the fear is irrational.

Precisely.

We love joy and fear pain. Some pleasures lead to pain thus we fear them. There is no fear of the pleasure itself, but of the pain that may follow.

??? Seems a little contradictory to everything else you just said...

How so? No one fears pleasure itself. No one says "I wish my Dad wouldn't drink because it makes him feel so good" or "I am not going to have sex because it will feel so good". No, it's because these pleasures lead to some kind of harm. The Dad drinking lead to him being sick, forgetting important details, getting into accidents. Having sex could result in a STD, pregnancy, or some kind of spiritual issue. Therefore we are not afraid of pleasure itself, but of the pain the pleasure may cause.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
SuburbiaSurvivor
Posts: 872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 2:54:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/17/2012 2:47:38 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

I guess it relates to pleasure in the sense that you have to let go a bit in order to experience pleasure. You have to succumb to the beauty of what is around you, and that is inhibiting.

Lickdafoot, this is curious. Is it then better to succumb to nothing and thus lose nothing? I'm not sure if you're saying is as if you believe it, or as if this is someone else's worldview.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 3:11:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/17/2012 2:54:58 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
At 4/17/2012 2:47:38 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

I guess it relates to pleasure in the sense that you have to let go a bit in order to experience pleasure. You have to succumb to the beauty of what is around you, and that is inhibiting.

Lickdafoot, this is curious. Is it then better to succumb to nothing and thus lose nothing? I'm not sure if you're saying is as if you believe it, or as if this is someone else's worldview.

Oops, I left out part of my sentence hehe. I meant to say not allowing that is inhibiting.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 3:12:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/17/2012 1:52:44 PM, Ren wrote:
Pally -- as I indicated before, there are other incentives, and I'd say that many of those are even more convincing than pleasure. Say, fear or pain for example.

Nobody is going to have sex because they are afraid of it. People are more likely to do something if they enjoy it.
Society isn't separate of "us." "We" are society. Moreover, that doesn't explain why guilt about pleasure seems to pervade just about every culture that exists.

Curious, that.
SuburbiaSurvivor
Posts: 872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 3:27:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/17/2012 3:11:32 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 4/17/2012 2:54:58 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
At 4/17/2012 2:47:38 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

I guess it relates to pleasure in the sense that you have to let go a bit in order to experience pleasure. You have to succumb to the beauty of what is around you, and that is inhibiting.

Lickdafoot, this is curious. Is it then better to succumb to nothing and thus lose nothing? I'm not sure if you're saying is as if you believe it, or as if this is someone else's worldview.

Oops, I left out part of my sentence hehe. I meant to say not allowing that is inhibiting.

Ahhh, haha. I see. That makes more sense.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 5:38:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/17/2012 2:43:55 PM, cheesedingo1 wrote:

Like I said, pleasure varies so widely, we need to narrow it down a bit. Can you give one example so that we can discuss it more accurately?

Alright. Something that elicits a positive psychophysiological response that incites you to cause yourself to feel the sensation again.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 5:39:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/17/2012 2:44:31 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 4/17/2012 12:52:48 PM, Ren wrote:
Several concepts play into my worldview, but one of the primary ones is pleasure. There's two things about pleasure that fascinate me. The first is that it is the only natural aspect of reality that I have encountered for who's necessity I have never heard a convincing argument. With so many other devices, such as instinct, learned behavior, collective manipulation, etc., why does pleasure exist?

What's even more interesting to me is that humans are largely ashamed of pleasure. All derivations of pleasure should be engaged in private, with the exception of food.

Why are humans so afraid, and yet, so consumed with pleasure? Why does it even exist?

Lets converse.

Experiencing "pleasure" makes us lose control of ourselves and leaves us vulnerable. This is why, I think, we engage in acts of pleasure when there's no one around, or in private, or in safe places.

I think this is what Lickie was saying. But, that's a strange thing to believe, wouldn't you say?

Let's take masturbation, for example. What about masturbating makes you more vulnerable than listening to your iPod and getting into a song at a bus stop?
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 5:41:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/17/2012 2:47:38 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

It's not what the environment will do to you. It's what other people will do to you if you don't maintain a seemblance of control. It's BS, but so many people subsribe to this mentality. You can see it when they go apesh!t if something doesn't go according to their preconceived plan.

???

I don't think that you're entirely vulnerable if you experience pleasure. Like, I don't consider myself more likely of getting robbed while I'm taking a glorious pee after a good drink.

I guess it relates to pleasure in the sense that you have to let go a bit in order to experience pleasure. You have to succumb to the beauty of what is around you, and that is inhibiting.

Is that right? What, specifically, is this danger to which you refer?
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 5:41:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/17/2012 3:12:42 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/17/2012 1:52:44 PM, Ren wrote:
Pally -- as I indicated before, there are other incentives, and I'd say that many of those are even more convincing than pleasure. Say, fear or pain for example.

Nobody is going to have sex because they are afraid of it. People are more likely to do something if they enjoy it.

I'm 100% convinced that people would have sex as much as they are instructed if they were afraid not to, even if it were unpleasant.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 5:42:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/17/2012 5:39:19 PM, Ren wrote:
At 4/17/2012 2:44:31 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 4/17/2012 12:52:48 PM, Ren wrote:
Several concepts play into my worldview, but one of the primary ones is pleasure. There's two things about pleasure that fascinate me. The first is that it is the only natural aspect of reality that I have encountered for who's necessity I have never heard a convincing argument. With so many other devices, such as instinct, learned behavior, collective manipulation, etc., why does pleasure exist?

What's even more interesting to me is that humans are largely ashamed of pleasure. All derivations of pleasure should be engaged in private, with the exception of food.

Why are humans so afraid, and yet, so consumed with pleasure? Why does it even exist?

Lets converse.

Experiencing "pleasure" makes us lose control of ourselves and leaves us vulnerable. This is why, I think, we engage in acts of pleasure when there's no one around, or in private, or in safe places.

I think this is what Lickie was saying. But, that's a strange thing to believe, wouldn't you say?

Let's take masturbation, for example. What about masturbating makes you more vulnerable than listening to your iPod and getting into a song at a bus stop?

...what makes you more vulnerable when you dance to that song, rather than just close your eyes and force control upon yourself?
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 6:45:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/17/2012 12:52:48 PM, Ren wrote:
Several concepts play into my worldview, but one of the primary ones is pleasure. There's two things about pleasure that fascinate me. The first is that it is the only natural aspect of reality that I have encountered for who's necessity I have never heard a convincing argument. With so many other devices, such as instinct, learned behavior, collective manipulation, etc., why does pleasure exist?

What's even more interesting to me is that humans are largely ashamed of pleasure. All derivations of pleasure should be engaged in private, with the exception of food.

Why are humans so afraid, and yet, so consumed with pleasure? Why does it even exist?

Lets converse.

Pleasure is quite necessary for humans. You just have to keep in mind the primordial environment.

At its most general, pleasure could be defined as a "rewarding feeling" that becomes coupled with an outcome or event.

In low information environments where immediate survival was paramount, pleasure represented completing goals (like finding sucrose, having sex, killing your own animals).

However, "pleasure" can easily be hijacked in what is called an "evolutionary misfire."

For instance, we learn to gain pleasure from the endorphin release that occurs when we exercise. This has obvious survival benefits for hunter-gatherers.

However, humans invented a means of short-circuiting that useful tool: Heroine and other morphine-derived products. In rats, this short-circuiting has been shown to be so powerful that rats will forgo food in order to continue activating the reward center of their brain.

When food is limited in sucrose content, coupling pleasure with sweets is good. However, that becomes detrimental when we enter a situation our hunter gatherer ancestors couldn't evolutionary anticipate (like supermarkets with candy aisles).

Consider the pleasure you take from building something by yourself or any form of self-actualization or gaining of self esteem. Consider the pleasure you take from increasing your social capital (by more platonic friends and them liking you more). These aren't covered by basic "food/shelter/sex."

An useful evolutionary heuritistic in the primordial environment almost inevitably become a cognitive bias when applied to modern environments.

EASY WAY TO THINK ABOUT IT: Consider how useful dog treats are if you want to get a dog to learn a new trick.

Now how useful would that be if, before training, the dog was presented with a mountain of dog treats which could be eaten at any time?