Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

purpose of existence

vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 10:54:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The universe is like a snow globe designed to help children with their homework.

The child's parents buy the universe from a drug store and shakes it up (which causing a big bang). Evenutally, intelligent life evolves and creates digital networks. Over the course of about a million years, the life forms propagate throughout the universe until the entire universe is "wired". At this point, the universe is basically a giant computer with superior artificial intelligence software running on it ready to help the child with his homework. Though this process takes billions of years from our perspective, it only takes a few hours from the childs prespective. A child can buy a universe from a drug store, shake it up, wait a few hours and then be ready to do his homework with the help of a powerful AI tutor.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 11:49:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Viewing this out of my personal religious beliefs, I would say there is no purpose of existence. Or at least, it is entirely subjective. Do what you want with your life. If I was an atheist, my goal would be to achieve happiness while acting in accordance to what my moral sense dictates.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 11:50:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Or some sort of moderate ethical hendoism.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Clash
Posts: 220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 12:48:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Everyone has their own opinion of this question. As a Muslim, I believe that the meaning of life is to serve God. If God exist, then that's in my opinion the most logical thing to do. What other reason is it for God to put us in this in-perfect world, if not only to test us? If God doesn't exist, life is meaningless and nothing makes a difference. But anyway, when you make choices, you can assume that life has a meaning. My choice is to worship God and him alone, and that's my meaning of life.
Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 1:12:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/18/2012 7:24:05 AM, cork wrote:
This thread is meant to be a collection of ideas on purpose of existence?

There seems to be some doubts about the purpose of existence of this thread, given by the timorous nature of the OP.

However, IMO, the purpose of existence is to find the purpose of existence.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Aaronroy
Posts: 749
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 2:20:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Many like to argue that the purpose of organic life is to reproduce and form more organic life forms, but I really disagree with this; it just seems like another task forced onto life by biology.

I personally believe the purpose of life is subjective. For me, my purpose is to contribute to the intellectual marketplace and promote free-thinking and civil discourse. I feel that if humans do not continue to evolve their mental capacities, we will end up resorting to barbaric and primitive cultural behaviors.
turn down for h'what
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 3:07:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Purpose is a human concept that has no relevance outside the virtual level of the human mind. It is an illusion.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
cork
Posts: 17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 9:24:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/18/2012 12:48:24 PM, Clash wrote:
Everyone has their own opinion of this question. As a Muslim, I believe that the meaning of life is to serve God. If God exist, then that's in my opinion the most logical thing to do. What other reason is it for God to put us in this in-perfect world, if not only to test us? If God doesn't exist, life is meaningless and nothing makes a difference. But anyway, when you make choices, you can assume that life has a meaning. My choice is to worship God and him alone, and that's my meaning of life.

How?
baggins
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 9:34:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/18/2012 12:48:24 PM, Clash wrote:
Everyone has their own opinion of this question. As a Muslim, I believe that the meaning of life is to serve God. If God exist, then that's in my opinion the most logical thing to do. What other reason is it for God to put us in this in-perfect world, if not only to test us? If God doesn't exist, life is meaningless and nothing makes a difference. But anyway, when you make choices, you can assume that life has a meaning. My choice is to worship God and him alone, and that's my meaning of life.

This.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
CrazyPerson
Posts: 1,114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 9:36:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 9:24:01 AM, cork wrote:
At 4/18/2012 12:48:24 PM, Clash wrote:
Everyone has their own opinion of this question. As a Muslim, I believe that the meaning of life is to serve God. If God exist, then that's in my opinion the most logical thing to do. What other reason is it for God to put us in this in-perfect world, if not only to test us? If God doesn't exist, life is meaningless and nothing makes a difference. But anyway, when you make choices, you can assume that life has a meaning. My choice is to worship God and him alone, and that's my meaning of life.

You're firmly following the best logic for a hypothetical situation, which is illogical. I don't view life as a 'test' but as an experience that I am grateful for. My choice is not to get trapped in a mental jail, but to discover the meaning of life more and more each day - infinitely.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
baggins
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 9:38:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/19/2012 9:24:01 AM, cork wrote:
At 4/18/2012 12:48:24 PM, Clash wrote:
Everyone has their own opinion of this question. As a Muslim, I believe that the meaning of life is to serve God. If God exist, then that's in my opinion the most logical thing to do. What other reason is it for God to put us in this in-perfect world, if not only to test us? If God doesn't exist, life is meaningless and nothing makes a difference. But anyway, when you make choices, you can assume that life has a meaning. My choice is to worship God and him alone, and that's my meaning of life.

How?

How to worship God? Address God directly and seek his guidance as to how to worship him. Once you have done that, make efforts to learn about what God has revealed to humanity.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 7:51:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Asking what the objective purpose of life is, is like asking what the objective purpose of green is. Green has a purpose if you want to draw someone puking, but this is subjective purpose. There is no objective purpose to the existence of the color green (I believe, life is the same way).

Also, only 0.46% of the volume of Earth is capable of supporting human life. The amount of time humans have been on this planet when compared to comic timescales are barely even a fraction of a measurable unit. 99.9999% of the observable universe is hostile to life, and over 99% of the species that lived on this planet have gone extinct and we eventually will too, it's all a matter of time before either nature wipes us out or we wipe ourselves out.

In my opinion, you would have to be extremely delusional to think that the biological organisms that cover a thin film of this planet are the reason the universe exists, or that there is some special reason we are here.

It seems clear our position in the universe. You can either cry about it and complain that life has no cosmic meaning, or man up and make your own meaning and co-exist with your fellow humans beings. There are many percs of life, many good feelings to be felt by socializing well, many good foods to taste, intoxicants to indulge in, women to engage in relationships with, art to view and inventions to explore. To throw all of that away over a lack of cosmic importance/ purpose seems pretty foolish, we are important to each other because we are more the same than different, this counts more in my opinion.