Jump to topic:

A Challenge to the Strongest Atheist

Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 2:46:30 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I challenge the best atheist debater on this site to a simple moral argument for the existence of God.

Either refer their name, accept my challenge yourself or get out of my way. I want a substantive debate with some intellectual rigor for once.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 2:52:10 AM
Are you experienced in formal debate? You haven't done any here. I suggest you become familiar first.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 2:54:29 AM
At 4/24/2012 2:52:10 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Are you experienced in formal debate? You haven't done any here. I suggest you become familiar first.

I said if you don't refer me, or debate me then get out of my way.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 3:00:28 AM
At 4/24/2012 2:54:29 AM, Reason_Alliance wrote:
At 4/24/2012 2:52:10 AM, FREEDO wrote:

I said if you don't refer me, or debate me then get out of my way.

Please, good lord, close your legs. That pungent odor is going to kill someone.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 3:33:57 AM
At 4/24/2012 2:46:30 AM, Reason_Alliance wrote:
I challenge the best atheist debater on this site to a simple moral argument for the existence of God.

Either refer their name, accept my challenge yourself or get out of my way. I want a substantive debate with some intellectual rigor for once.

I can't give you the name of one person as the best debater, but I can refer you to the homepage of debate.org that has the debate leader table. You can can look at those peoples past debates and decide for yourself who is worthy eh.

If you demand a certain level of debate, you have to show that you can yourself debate at that level, so you might have to do a debate or two yourself to prove that before you start making demands.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 5:27:52 AM
What does morality have to do with God?

What is morality? What is God?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 6:42:23 AM

Them's a-fighten' words, boy...<chews on straw of grass>...but I don't see where the paths of "intellectual vigour" and "the existence of God" could possibly meet.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 8:40:24 AM

Challenge me.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 8:49:32 AM

Lol, oh boy.

The first think that came to my mind was "be careful what you wish for."

As a Christian, I'm going to tell you know that although you're just looking for rigor, you're probably going to get a great deal of vigor, as well.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 9:09:42 AM
Unitedandy or freeman. There used to be a lot more really good atheist debaters here but they've mostly left.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Tlhedglin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 9:17:19 AM

A moral argument for the existence of god, you say? As in, there are no morals without an absolute lawgiver, or that it would be immoral for god not to exist?
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 2:51:02 PM
At 4/24/2012 1:16:07 PM, unitedandy wrote:
Given the number of challengers already, I'll just second Freeman or Cody.

Thanks everyone. Sorry if you think that was egotistical, but I know philosophy and wanted to weed out the people who didn't. Now I know who'll give me a substantive debate.
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 2:52:52 PM
At 4/24/2012 8:49:32 AM, Ren wrote:

Lol, oh boy.

The first think that came to my mind was "be careful what you wish for."

As a Christian, I'm going to tell you know that although you're just looking for rigor, you're probably going to get a great deal of vigor, as well.

Easily avoidable.
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 2:55:09 PM
At 4/24/2012 9:46:14 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
A moral argument, you say? I'm diggity down for that, player.

Say what?! Son, you be the most bad@ss scholar they ever was.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 2:59:20 PM
I'm actually very interested to see this. You don't see a lot of serious philosophy students around here with apologetics banners as their display picture. I think that's probably because the philosophy of apologetics can, at times, rightfully be associated with easy to digest theist-favoring "pop" philosophy, instead of more rigorous academic work. That's not supposed to be a jab at you, you say you know your stuff. I'm just explaining one of the reasons I'm looking forward to this. Good luck.
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 3:56:01 PM
At 4/24/2012 2:59:20 PM, Rusty wrote:
I'm actually very interested to see this. You don't see a lot of serious philosophy students around here with apologetics banners as their display picture. I think that's probably because the philosophy of apologetics can, at times, rightfully be associated with easy to digest theist-favoring "pop" philosophy, instead of more rigorous academic work. That's not supposed to be a jab at you, you say you know your stuff. I'm just explaining one of the reasons I'm looking forward to this. Good luck.

Thanks. And I have noticed much pop-apologetics around this site so far and the pop atheism always seems to win with that. Not so on the scholarly level lately. After finals I plan to challenge each of those names given to me, so stay tuned.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 4:12:13 PM

Lol. Seriously? PCP, Contradiction, KRFournier and InquireTruth are just some of the theists who are "serious" philosophy debaters. If anything, there's a lack of atheist debaters who are comparable to these guys.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 4:15:30 PM
At 4/24/2012 4:12:13 PM, unitedandy wrote:

Lol. Seriously? PCP, Contradiction, KRFournier and InquireTruth are just some of the theists who are "serious" philosophy debaters. If anything, there's a lack of atheist debaters who are comparable to these guys.

I don't understand what I wrote that you're disagreeing with.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 4:22:24 PM
At 4/24/2012 3:56:01 PM, Reason_Alliance wrote:

Thanks. And I have noticed much pop-apologetics around this site so far and the pop atheism always seems to win with that. Not so on the scholarly level lately. After finals I plan to challenge each of those names given to me, so stay tuned.

Well, I'm planning to do a good number of debates in the next 2 months, funnily enough hopefully against some of the best theist debaters. I'll definitely be interested in debating you, especially on the moral argument, as it's something I've yet to debate.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 4:26:37 PM
At 4/24/2012 4:15:30 PM, Rusty wrote:

My bad. I thought you were suggesting that pop apologetics was the norm.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 4:28:46 PM
At 4/24/2012 4:26:37 PM, unitedandy wrote:
At 4/24/2012 4:15:30 PM, Rusty wrote:

My bad. I thought you were suggesting that pop apologetics was the norm.

Yeah, I wish I had half the philosophical knowledge of pretty much anyone on that list, haha.
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2012 4:31:29 PM
At 4/24/2012 4:22:24 PM, unitedandy wrote:
At 4/24/2012 3:56:01 PM, Reason_Alliance wrote:

Well, I'm planning to do a good number of debates in the next 2 months, funnily enough hopefully against some of the best theist debaters. I'll definitely be interested in debating you, especially on the moral argument, as it's something I've yet to debate.

Looking forward to it! : )