Jump to topic:

Alan Moore on Magick

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 3:36:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Surprisingly, I haven't talked much about magick here. But it's something I'm very active in and that I'm beginning to revolve my life around more and more. It is an object of intrigue and concern among those who know us as to why we have such an odd way of putting things, such hypnotic ways of talking to people, touching people and, occasionally, engraving bizarre symbols all over the room and invoking the name of....nevermind

So, perhaps, it's actually pretty useless for me to present this clarification here when there was no confusion to begin with. But, if there were magicians materiel presented here, there certain would be a lot of that. And I like the video so I decided to make his thread. He does a good job explaining a lot in a small amount of time while talking very slowly.

It's necessary to know some of this basic semantic stuff because it is extremely hard for nearly anyone to understand how we are actually capable of doing the stuff we do with a structural mind-set that gets in the way between everyone and it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 7:30:14 AM
At 4/25/2012 3:36:00 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Surprisingly, I haven't talked much about magick here. But it's something I'm very active in and that I'm beginning to revolve my life around more and more. It is an object of intrigue and concern among those who know us as to why we have such an odd way of putting things, such hypnotic ways of talking to people, touching people and, occasionally, engraving bizarre symbols all over the room and invoking the name of....nevermind

So, perhaps, it's actually pretty useless for me to present this clarification here when there was no confusion to begin with. But, if there were magicians materiel presented here, there certain would be a lot of that. And I like the video so I decided to make his thread. He does a good job explaining a lot in a small amount of time while talking very slowly.

It's necessary to know some of this basic semantic stuff because it is extremely hard for nearly anyone to understand how we are actually capable of doing the stuff we do with a structural mind-set that gets in the way between everyone and it.

So, you believe in magic. No offense, but that video seems a bit silly to me...
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 11:51:52 AM
At 4/25/2012 7:30:14 AM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Occult Magick is one of the most satisfying 'expressions of experience' or 'psychological realms' life has to offer! Much more hand on and experiential than christianity or atheism--(suuuper boring). Awesome man!
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 4:03:50 PM

Well, I am a very silly person.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 4:37:22 PM
At 4/25/2012 4:03:50 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Everyone on this site is silly.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 4:49:01 PM
At 4/25/2012 4:37:22 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

That's a silly thing to say.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 4:50:42 PM
At 4/25/2012 4:49:01 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Most are the super-serious ultra moral ones.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 4:59:57 PM
At 4/25/2012 4:49:01 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Of course it is, I'm silly, after all.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 5:39:47 PM

Seriously, you're straight up a warlock?

That's crazy; I've only rarely encountered people like that on the Subway. It's interesting when you see them -- somehow, you just know that it's the real thing.

Do you ever toy with the jazz that includes animals? I mean, the congregation does include beasts, after all...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 5:43:44 PM
At 4/25/2012 5:41:59 PM, Ren wrote:
At 4/25/2012 5:37:02 PM, FREEDO wrote:

http://oi45.tinypic.com...

...Geo?

I bet Geo does know what that is, actually. The A,',A,', at least.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 5:45:02 PM
At 4/25/2012 5:39:47 PM, Ren wrote:

That's crazy; I've only rarely encountered people like that on the Subway. It's interesting when you see them -- somehow, you just know that it's the real thing.

Do you ever toy with the jazz that includes animals? I mean, the congregation does include beasts, after all...

Only human animals.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 5:45:53 PM
...given the symbols, I'm assuming that Crowley, but I don't know for sure.

I mean, it's about as obvious as a Christian saying "do you know who THIS is?" and someone going, "Jesus?"

In any case, this is most unexpected, coming from you.

I mean, lol, discordianism is one thing...
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 5:48:53 PM
At 4/25/2012 5:45:02 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 4/25/2012 5:39:47 PM, Ren wrote:

Only human animals.

"The best blood is of the moon, monthly: then the fresh blood of a child, or dropping from the host of heaven: then of enemies; then of the priest or of the worshippers: last of some beast, no matter what."
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 5:55:45 PM
At 4/25/2012 5:45:53 PM, Ren wrote:

I mean, it's about as obvious as a Christian saying "do you know who THIS is?" and someone going, "Jesus?"

In fact, Discordianism has a vast entwining legacy with the occult. Especially Chaos Magick.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 5:59:33 PM
By the way, we often spell it as "magick" to differentiate it as being associated with the occult, as opposed to stage-show magic.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 6:00:23 PM
At 4/25/2012 5:55:45 PM, FREEDO wrote:

In fact, Discordianism has a vast entwining legacy with the occult. Especially Chaos Magick.

Never heard of that.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 6:03:16 PM
I'm reading up on it now.

Okay, now I can totally see how you got into this. :P

This is very interesting!

I have to admit; a lot of people that were considered "miracle workers" (including Jesus) engaged in practices that seem to align with the description of methods to achieve "gnosis..."

See, this is why I love learning new things. ^_^
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 6:04:27 PM
At 4/25/2012 6:03:16 PM, Ren wrote:
I'm reading up on it now.

Okay, now I can totally see how you got into this. :P

This is very interesting!

I have to admit; a lot of people that were considered "miracle workers" (including Jesus) engaged in practices that seem to align with the description of methods to achieve "gnosis..."

See, this is why I love learning new things. ^_^

Welcome to the world of magick!!
- - - Watts
- - - Watts
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 6:04:36 PM
At 4/25/2012 6:00:23 PM, Ren wrote:
At 4/25/2012 5:55:45 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Never heard of that.

No one really understands how magic actually works, even experienced practitioners of it, unless they discover Chaos Magick.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 6:29:50 PM
10 points if you know what these are:

http://oi50.tinypic.com...

Ordo Templi Orientus symbol. Theosophic secret society started by Crowley.

Dunno.

And who this is:

Crowley.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 6:32:55 PM
How a usual conversation with someone goes about this:

A: I practice magick. It's such and such.

B: So it's just all tricks, right?

A: No, it's real. It's such and such and such.

B: But you're just effecting people's minds, right? You're not performing any miracles.

A: No. You can. Flying. Yeah, all that good stuff.

B: Ha. I thought this was actually something that worked you were talking about. That's ridiculous.

A: It does seem that way.

B: So how do you supposedly do this? Psychic powers.

A: No, not at all. It all has to do with changing our perceptions.

B: Aha! So it is just tricks! You can only make it look like you are performing a miracle by hypnotizing people into seeing what you want them to see.

A: Nope, it's really happening.

B: But you just said it's all about perceptions.

A: It is. The world is defined by our perceptions.

B: The world is one way or another, whether or not we think it is something else.

A: Sure. Absolutely. But there is no time at which we actually see things as they truly are. The miracle is no more a trick than the non-miracle.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 6:38:51 PM
At 4/25/2012 6:29:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

It's not really the symbol of OTO.
The closest things they have to an official symbol is the lamen:
http://upload.wikimedia.org...

The Unicursal Hexagram, the first picture, is actually the symbol of Thelema, which is the foundation for OTO.

Dunno.

The Holy Sigil of the A.'.A.'.

And who this is:

Crowley.

Correct.

GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 6:45:23 PM
You may enjoy The Book of Law, Geo.

It starts of by describing the outer-worldy leaders that control the Earth. And how they appoint a new one in charge of the Earth every 2,000 years.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 6:58:36 PM
At 4/25/2012 6:38:51 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 4/25/2012 6:29:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

It's not really the symbol of OTO.
The closest things they have to an official symbol is the lamen:
http://upload.wikimedia.org...

The Unicursal Hexagram, the first picture, is actually the symbol of Thelema, which is the foundation for OTO.

Ah yes, Thelema. Can't believe that slipped my mind. My aunt its Thelemic and has that symbol in her room.

Dunno.

The Holy Sigil of the A.'.A.'.

What's A.'.A'.?

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2012 7:02:43 PM
At 4/25/2012 6:45:23 PM, FREEDO wrote:
You may enjoy The Book of Law, Geo.

It starts of by describing the outer-worldy leaders that control the Earth. And how they appoint a new one in charge of the Earth every 2,000 years.

Yeah, I've skimmed through the Book of the Law. I don't remember much what was in it though. It was several years ago.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat