Jump to topic:

Dowsing

Nosaj5q
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 8:47:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
So my mom was telling me a story about going with my great grandfather to dowse for water. they used the standard Y shaped Stick technique. Supposedly the stick will pull or twitch in the direction of water (or whatever else you're looking for). She said she tried it herself and truly it feels as though the wood Is pulling you. purely the power of suggestion? IDK I plan to try it myself and give my analysis. if anyone else would like to try I would love to get other peoples results, or opinions.
Slimy yet satisfying"
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 12:45:47 PM
How is this philosophy? This is rubbish and belongs in a pseudoscience forum.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 12:56:40 PM
At 5/1/2012 12:45:47 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
How is this philosophy? This is rubbish and belongs in a pseudoscience forum.

...I honestly saw you just posted and thought "Oh dear, support for dowsing coming along...must...not...post..."
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 4:32:44 PM
At 5/1/2012 1:58:50 PM, Nosaj5q wrote:
well i was just presenting the idea no need to be d-bag.

Regarding Geo? Usually she argues the whole she-bang regarding conspiracy theories and general woo.

Regarding dowsing? The whole thing is a farce at best. I'm not trying to be aggressive, but it's just generally wrong.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 5:00:55 PM
At 5/1/2012 8:47:44 AM, Nosaj5q wrote:
So my mom was telling me a story about going with my great grandfather to dowse for water. they used the standard Y shaped Stick technique. Supposedly the stick will pull or twitch in the direction of water (or whatever else you're looking for). She said she tried it herself and truly it feels as though the wood Is pulling you. purely the power of suggestion? IDK I plan to try it myself and give my analysis. if anyone else would like to try I would love to get other peoples results, or opinions.

Dowsing would be easy to prove scientifically. Also, it would have been proven by now if it worked because it would be profitable to industry (to say nothing of its interest to science). The fact that it isn't a scientifically established method of discovering anything should be enough for one to discard the notion altogether.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 5:01:45 PM
At 5/1/2012 5:00:55 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 5/1/2012 8:47:44 AM, Nosaj5q wrote:

Dowsing would be easy to prove scientifically. Also, it would have been proven by now if it worked because it would be profitable to industry (to say nothing of its interest to science). The fact that it isn't a scientifically established method of discovering anything should be enough for one to discard the notion altogether.

NOOooooo

Science is part of the evil establishment and innomen. Destroy the establishment!

Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 5:46:39 PM
At 5/1/2012 4:32:44 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 5/1/2012 1:58:50 PM, Nosaj5q wrote:
well i was just presenting the idea no need to be d-bag.

Regarding Geo? Usually he* argues the whole she-bang regarding conspiracy theories and general woo.

Regarding dowsing? The whole thing is a farce at best. I'm not trying to be aggressive, but it's just generally wrong.