Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

What should be your highest priority?

Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 11:15:49 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Children? Spouse? Country? Morality? Nature? Self? Money? Career? Edumucation/enlightenment? Happiness?

What is at the top of your list of priorities? A few years back the new CEO of the company I worked at came in and introduced himself, and proclaimed that his priorities were:

"
1. My wife
2. My kids
3. My faith (Christianity)
"

His point was to empathize with us that our jobs were not the most important thing in our lives, and he alluded that work would probably be #4 on that list. Constructing this list can really put things into perspective for you.

I find the list very hard to construct, although I believe morality would be at the top. Anyone care to share theirs?
Rob
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 11:29:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Meth Crack Pot.

The new ultimate super drug on the streets. I knew a guy who tripped on it for a week strait kissing a tree. He woke up witg his mouth full of bark naked in a dumpster next to the gay bar.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 11:55:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm not sure whether you meant to pose this as a normative question. If it's actually phrased as "What should one's highest priority be", I think it's a nonsense question because of the telic view of humanity it attempts to impose. If you're asking only a descriptive question, though, then, for me, it's in line with the "tasty beer theory of experience". It claims no objective normative or meta-ethical merit, but it does suggest that we're consigned somehow to happiness, and that enjoyment can be found deeply intertwined with aesthetic experience of which the representative par excellence is a tasty beer.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 11:56:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Form of The Good
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 7:55:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Applying myself most constructively to my given situation by considering its logical as well as conscientious aspects and applying myself accordingly.

Human situational constructs come secondary to more endurings ones.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 10:55:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
1. Faith

2. Happiness(but not just for myself. More from a utilitarianism standpoint)
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2012 11:28:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/8/2012 11:15:49 AM, Lasagna wrote:
Children? Spouse? Country? Morality? Nature? Self? Money? Career? Edumucation/enlightenment? Happiness?

What is at the top of your list of priorities? A few years back the new CEO of the company I worked at came in and introduced himself, and proclaimed that his priorities were:

"
1. My wife
2. My kids
3. My faith (Christianity)
"

His point was to empathize with us that our jobs were not the most important thing in our lives, and he alluded that work would probably be #4 on that list. Constructing this list can really put things into perspective for you.

I find the list very hard to construct, although I believe morality would be at the top. Anyone care to share theirs?

Interesting. My boss recently said this as well. Except she said: 1. Family 2. School 3. Job- acknowledging that I'm a college student, I suppose. And her assessment wasn't far from the truth.

I'm not sure exactly how I would list my life priorities...some of the items intertwine so it's difficult to say how accurate it is...
This list is as close to what I strive for as I can get, I think.
1. Family
2. Morality
3. My happiness and well-being
4. Life Goals
5. Job
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 1:29:24 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
What should be your highest priority?
Children? Spouse? Country? Morality? Nature? Self? Money? Career? Edumucation/enlightenment? Happiness?

see any connections here? One of these variables is more suited to the question than the others.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2012 8:13:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I believe morality is the highest priority one should have because even something as important as your family should not come before what's "right." Does that mean I would let my family down in order to be moral? I don't believe that would ever be the case. If your moral principles are good enough, then you will find that this situation would never present itself. I guess in my sense morality is essentially "faith," because I have to have faith that my morals are not going to lead me astray. I have found that my morals will NEVER put my family at risk and following them will only ever enhance all of my goals and priorities. When it seems that my morals are indeed jeopardizing something of value to me, it probably means that I haven't thought the situation through enough and I simply don't understand why (as of yet) that my morals are actually going to improve the situation.
Rob
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 3:56:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I believe morality is the highest priority one should have because even something as important as your family should not come before what's "right."

First of all, that argument is circular.

Second, notice what even you started the sentence with.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
tyler90az
Posts: 971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 7:54:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
My top four list

1. Faith
2. Wife
3. Kids
4. Happiness

If you have those four in that order, everything else false into place. If you love God above all else then you will naturally love your wife, kids and be happy. That continues for the remainder.

Now a couple occurrences in life could change that list. The first would be the difficulty for some in loving God more then anything. That list is more of an ideal, although very attainable. The second occurrence would be if it is your second marriage. If it is your second marriage you need to love your kids more then your wife.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 10:17:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/10/2012 3:56:17 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I believe morality is the highest priority one should have because even something as important as your family should not come before what's "right."

First of all, that argument is circular.

Only if you believe in relative morality.

Second, notice what even you started the sentence with.

My beliefs can be expressed without logical fallacy.
Rob
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 10:26:43 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/10/2012 7:54:33 AM, tyler90az wrote:
My top four list

1. Faith
2. Wife
3. Kids
4. Happiness

If you have those four in that order, everything else false into place. If you love God above all else then you will naturally love your wife, kids and be happy. That continues for the remainder.

Now a couple occurrences in life could change that list. The first would be the difficulty for some in loving God more then anything. That list is more of an ideal, although very attainable. The second occurrence would be if it is your second marriage. If it is your second marriage you need to love your kids more then your wife.

I like your mudderfuccing style Mr. Tyler. I was grappling with the whole "wife vs. kids" argument and you seem to have that figured out. If it's your first marriage, then loving your wife helps the partnership that the children depend upon, so the children's benefit will flow out naturally. I will be working on my second relationship soon and perhaps I must acknowledge the fact that it will be bastardized in a certain fashion because I cannot risk my fatherly relationship over a person who is not directly responsible for my daughter. Perhaps it will be easier for me to find somebody who already has children and can understand that concept... Now to complicate the situation. Let us imagine that I find a woman who does not have children, but whom I have children with afterwards?

Now as for your faith, I respect that you are willing to sacrifice for what is right but I wonder what results your love of God is truly going to yield in any given situation. What principles do you render from your love of God? Would you like to put them to the test in this forum?
Rob
tyler90az
Posts: 971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 11:51:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/10/2012 10:26:43 AM, Lasagna wrote:
At 5/10/2012 7:54:33 AM, tyler90az wrote:
My top four list

1. Faith
2. Wife
3. Kids
4. Happiness

If you have those four in that order, everything else false into place. If you love God above all else then you will naturally love your wife, kids and be happy. That continues for the remainder.

Now a couple occurrences in life could change that list. The first would be the difficulty for some in loving God more then anything. That list is more of an ideal, although very attainable. The second occurrence would be if it is your second marriage. If it is your second marriage you need to love your kids more then your wife.

I like your mudderfuccing style Mr. Tyler. I was grappling with the whole "wife vs. kids" argument and you seem to have that figured out. If it's your first marriage, then loving your wife helps the partnership that the children depend upon, so the children's benefit will flow out naturally. I will be working on my second relationship soon and perhaps I must acknowledge the fact that it will be bastardized in a certain fashion because I cannot risk my fatherly relationship over a person who is not directly responsible for my daughter. Perhaps it will be easier for me to find somebody who already has children and can understand that concept... Now to complicate the situation. Let us imagine that I find a woman who does not have children, but whom I have children with afterwards?

Now as for your faith, I respect that you are willing to sacrifice for what is right but I wonder what results your love of God is truly going to yield in any given situation. What principles do you render from your love of God? Would you like to put them to the test in this forum?

It is a common misconception that if somebody places faith first; they will have to make sacrifices regarding family. The interesting thing is, at least for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, by placing God first you make no sacrifices regarding your family. Even know faith, God, is number one on the list. Reason being, that in my faith family is the focus. There is nothing I am sacrificing with regards to spouse, children or happiness by placing God first. It really is the opposite by having faith I am enhancing every other one of my priorities.

The principle I am willing to put to the test is that by Loving God above all, I will love everybody and everything in my life more.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 12:32:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/10/2012 10:17:04 AM, Lasagna wrote:
At 5/10/2012 3:56:17 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I believe morality is the highest priority one should have because even something as important as your family should not come before what's "right."

First of all, that argument is circular.

Only if you believe in relative morality.
No, it's circular because you say 'it's moral because it's right.' One does not need to be a relativist to disagree with you or to find a problem in that logic. Non-relativist arguments can and have been made on better premises.


Second, notice what even you started the sentence with.

My beliefs can be expressed without logical fallacy.
Without the you, there is no your beliefs.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 12:59:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Smokin' dat mcp on fo fo's ni'a!
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 2:07:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Rob, by having "should" as a qualifier you make the entire exercise inapplicable to real life. Most people probably don't know truly what their priorities are, although they may think they do. If someone says they put their kids above their job, but miss their daughter's recital because they had to work late, is it true that they prioritize their kids over their job? People lie to themselves all day long, and tell themselves things that will make them feel good about who they are, whether or not it's true. Once you find out how much you BS yourself you have a chance at knowing your real priorities, and then a chance at changing them to the "should", but that's a long way to go.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 11:04:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/9/2012 8:13:31 PM, Lasagna wrote:
I believe morality is the highest priority one should have because even something as important as your family should not come before what's "right." Does that mean I would let my family down in order to be moral? I don't believe that would ever be the case. If your moral principles are good enough, then you will find that this situation would never present itself. I guess in my sense morality is essentially "faith," because I have to have faith that my morals are not going to lead me astray. I have found that my morals will NEVER put my family at risk and following them will only ever enhance all of my goals and priorities. When it seems that my morals are indeed jeopardizing something of value to me, it probably means that I haven't thought the situation through enough and I simply don't understand why (as of yet) that my morals are actually going to improve the situation.

I put family before morality. And it is precisely because my morals might "put my family at risk"-at risk of getting into trouble with the law, etc. But I said that many of my goals intertwine, and that's true. I put family above morality because if one of my family members did something that I disagree with morally, depending on how bad it was, I would probably cover their a$$ rather than turn them in. I can't really think of an example, or a time when I've had to do this, but I think I probably would in some cases. For the most part, my family is pretty moral so I don't have to worry about that. But I think I still draw the line at violence against other people (even strangers) and neglect of other family members (specifically- parents neglecting children). I have ceased speaking with two family members who were guilty of each of those things respectively (and actually, most of the family has given them the same reaction). But if I knew a family member stole from somebody else, even if I found it immoral, I would probably cover for them rather than tattle. That's all that my ordering means.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
CrazyPerson
Posts: 1,114
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 11:54:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
1. Yourself
2. Family
3. DDO
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2012 9:35:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
1. My well-being
2. My happiness
3. Learning - trying to discern truth and meaning
4. Using #3 to formulate a sense of morality
5. My family
6. School/Job
7. Investments of all kinds in many forms
8. I don't like odd numbers that aren't multiples of 5, and I really like the #8
President of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2012 4:23:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is, really, patently obvious. So obvious I can't even believe I'm taking the time to write it, but whatever. Our highest priorities should be whatever we want them to be. This is the case because there neither is, nor can there be any objective way of ranking priorities on a universally applicable hierarchy.
Tsar of DDO