Jump to topic:

Changed your mind yet?.

SeanMichael
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 1:29:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I come o to this site in the hope I am making maybe even the slightest difference. However how can I change how people feel towards somethings, when I myself know it would be almost impossible for people to change my mind on certain things. For example I can never envisage me being an atheist. As matter of fact I cannot envisage me being anything other than a Catholic. I have complete certainity in my faith, but then so does probably eveybody. Maybe on minor things I could change my mind on but my faith and moral values I don't think I could.
So sometimes I wonder what is the point of me even coming unto this site.
What I would like to ask is why do you come on to this site?.
Do you feel you make a difference?.
Have you changed your mind on any major issues?.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 1:51:02 PM
I've already seen the effect that I've had on the site. I know that I have an impact, and yes it is nice to know, but it isn't that important to me.

Have I changed my mind on things? Sure, but the greatest benefit of interacting with the people of DDO for me is playing the game of trying to communicate what can't be communicated.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
boss1592
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 2:12:34 PM
At 5/11/2012 1:29:12 PM, SeanMichael wrote:
I come o to this site in the hope I am making maybe even the slightest difference. However how can I change how people feel towards somethings, when I myself know it would be almost impossible for people to change my mind on certain things. For example I can never envisage me being an atheist. As matter of fact I cannot envisage me being anything other than a Catholic. I have complete certainity in my faith, but then so does probably eveybody. Maybe on minor things I could change my mind on but my faith and moral values I don't think I could.

Well, I can only answer for myself. I personally have always enjoyed debating, I think it's a great form of discourse, and having debates, not just formal debates but even discussing an issue after a meal with my family has caused my mind to change. I'm very hungry for knowledge and debating is a way of educating myself, in addition to, hopefully, educating other people.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 2:23:04 PM
People seldom change their mind in an instant because even after being debunked, people stubbornly cling to their worldview as a means to insulate their psyche.

Minds are changed slowly over time. These changes, much like in nature, are imperceptible as they occur. But take snapshots over time and the changes are remarkable.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 2:39:24 PM

I also used to never be able to imagine myself as a non-Christian. I became agnostic for a while though and am constantly suffering lack of faith. Try to be more open-minded.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Clash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 2:46:31 PM

Q 1: I'm only her to get more knowledge of different stuff and to see the other side of the argument/issue. I also very much enjoy to debate, and it doesn't matter if I win or lose.

Q 2: I really don't know, but if I do, I hope its in a good way.

Q 3: Not at all. However, I will change my views if given strong evidences, and if it makes sense to me.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 2:56:15 PM
I have complete certainity in my faith, but then so does probably eveybody. Maybe on minor things I could change my mind on but my faith and moral values I don't think I could.

Many people here thought the same thing you did, and then changed their mind. It happens.

This site allows people to exchange ideas, learn about new things, enhance critical thinking, and of course enjoy the thrill of debating. I really don't care if I convert people to my way of thinking, in fact, I don't want people to all be clones of me.

See above.

Yes.

Yes.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 3:01:10 PM
People are too sweet in real life.

Personally, although I am new here, i like this site because I see a lot of different worldview here, with some intelligent people backing them. Its too risky to attach yourself too tightly to your views, it hinders progress. I need to keep challenging myself, and i hope this site would help me with that.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2012 3:16:41 PM
At 5/11/2012 3:01:10 PM, Cermank wrote:
People are too sweet in real life.

Personally, although I am new here, i like this site because I see a lot of different worldview here, with some intelligent people backing them. Its too risky to attach yourself too tightly to your views, it hinders progress. I need to keep challenging myself, and i hope this site would help me with that.

I agree with this. I'm here mostly to hear other points of view and simply absorb new information I might not gain otherwise. One of my favorite things to do is simply read these threads with tons of different points of views being represented. I really couldn't say how many or how much my views have changed, but I have certainly have gained knowledge and perspective in the time I have been here.
Debate.org Moderator
SeanMichael
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 2:36:43 PM
Well thank all of you for answering. I appreciate it, it has made me feel better that there is hope I could change for the good and maybe I can change someone else for the good.
Prox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2012 4:05:18 PM

I'm not as close-minded as you are. I know my beliefs are fallible, even the ones I'm most confident in. Even though I don't see any opposing argument arising that might discredit my nontheistic views, I always regard every issue as unsettled.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 3:47:25 PM

Because your a fundementalist.
You should change you mind upon logical refutation or new information. Those that don't who are fundemantist, are the cause of the problems to begin with.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL