Total Posts:41|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What is Philosophy?

SuburbiaSurvivor
Posts: 872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 4:07:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Do you know? Do I know? Does my dog know? Is Philosophy real? Is Philosophy transcendent? Can I get Philosophy at McDonald's or In N Out?
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 4:09:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Google Definitions:

1) The study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, esp. when considered as an academic discipline.

2) A set of views and theories of a particular philosopher concerning such study or an aspect of it.
Debate.org Moderator
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 4:32:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 4:10:02 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Philosophy is confusion.

Then that makes you the most philosophic person I know.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Skyhook
Posts: 77
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 7:02:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 4:07:22 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
Do you know? Do I know? Does my dog know? Is Philosophy real? Is Philosophy transcendent? Can I get Philosophy at McDonald's or In N Out?

Just on the etymology of "philosophy" we can say it's the love for wisdom. Does your dog know? I would argue no because your dog isn't a rational animal (he/she/it can't ponder on possible state of affairs like we humans so he/she/it couldn't philosophize abstractly like we do). Is philosophy transcendent? I'd like to think most of philosophy tends to be abstract. Although you can find certain areas in philosophy to be purely practical and in some ways not intellectually focused, like Yan Yuan and his set of Confucian ethics. From my experience, I find most disagreements in philosophy can be traced to metaphysics so in that sense I think philosophy can mistakenly be viewed as solely transcendant.

Of course you can disagree with everything I've said but we would still be engaging in philosophy or meta-philosophy. That's why I love philosophy. Not matter how much we can detest and hate it, it's almost inevitable that we will in some way or form engage in it. That's why I always get a kick out of listening to people say "Philosophy is a load of crap" then hearing them philosophically justify why they think it is crap without them realizing they're doing philosophy.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2012 7:04:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Philosophy is when you think really, really hard about something, then write everything down and present it to other people with the expectation that they will apply a similar degree of thought.
SuburbiaSurvivor
Posts: 872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2012 3:24:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 7:04:11 PM, Ren wrote:
Philosophy is when you think really, really hard about something, then write everything down and present it to other people with the expectation that they will apply a similar degree of thought.

This.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 12:41:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 7:02:25 PM, Skyhook wrote:

Of course you can disagree with everything I've said but we would still be engaging in philosophy or meta-philosophy. That's why I love philosophy. Not matter how much we can detest and hate it, it's almost inevitable that we will in some way or form engage in it. That's why I always get a kick out of listening to people say "Philosophy is a load of crap" then hearing them philosophically justify why they think it is crap without them realizing they're doing philosophy.

Yup.

"Philosophy is merely thought that has been thought out. It is often a great bore. But man has no alternative, except between being influenced by thought that has been thought out and being influenced by thought that has not been thought out. The latter is what we commonly call culture and enlightenment today. But man is always influenced by thought of some kind, his own or somebody else's; that of somebody he trusts or that of somebody he never heard of, thought at first, second or third hand; thought from exploded legends or unverified rumours; but always something with the shadow of a system of values and a reason for preference. A man does test everything by something. The question here is whether he has ever tested the test."

-- G.K. Chesterton
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 12:55:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Philosophy begins with a sense of mystery and wonder at what any sane person regards as too obvious to worry about.
-John Searle
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 1:01:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's the school of thought.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 1:02:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/17/2012 12:55:38 AM, socialpinko wrote:
Philosophy begins with a sense of mystery and wonder at what any sane person regards as too obvious to worry about.
-John Searle

I love this.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 1:08:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/17/2012 12:55:38 AM, socialpinko wrote:
Philosophy begins with a sense of mystery and wonder at what any sane person regards as too obvious to worry about.
-John Searle

John Searle ftw! He's one my favorites.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 3:09:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/17/2012 1:08:12 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 5/17/2012 12:55:38 AM, socialpinko wrote:
Philosophy begins with a sense of mystery and wonder at what any sane person regards as too obvious to worry about.
-John Searle

John Searle ftw! He's one my favorites.

I like him. He writes simply enough so his work is possible to actually understand without needing to reference secondary material but his ideas aren't so elementary that his works seem more like coloring books .
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
WriterDave
Posts: 934
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 7:20:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 4:07:22 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
Do you know? Do I know? Does my dog know? Is Philosophy real? Is Philosophy transcendent? Can I get Philosophy at McDonald's or In N Out?

Best explained with a joke:

A college President was going over the proposed budget with the head of the Physics department and shaking his head. "You guys need way too much money for all this fancy equipment," he said. "Why can't you be like the Mathematics department? They only ever need pens and paper and wastebaskets! Or better yet, why can't you be like the Philosophy department? They only ever need pens and paper!"
Writer. Liberal atheist. Official "Official of the FREEDO Bureaucracy" of the FREEDO Bureaucracy.

Edit To Civilize, with FAQs: http://bit.ly...
Insult Ownership: http://bit.ly...
Haters: http://bit.ly...

"I said you are a fake, a phony, and a fraud, but that doesn't mean I think you're putting on an act." --Innomen
kowalskil
Posts: 68
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2012 6:58:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 4:07:22 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
Do you know? Do I know? Does my dog know? Is Philosophy real? Is Philosophy transcendent? Can I get Philosophy at McDonald's or In N Out?

Philosophy is what philosophers do for living. It is an area of human investigations.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)
.
Ludwik Kowalski, author of "Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality." <http://csam.montclair.edu...

http://csam.montclair.edu...

It is a testimony based on a diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA).

The more people know about proletarian dictatorship the less likely will we experience is. Please share the link with those who might be interested, especially with youn
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2012 4:19:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The origial definition is derived philosopher "the lover of wisdom" in that philosophy is the question for knowledge.

Overtime more and more people called themselves and what they were doing philosophy, So the common meaning has become so broad that the meaning of the word is useless.
But what I mean by philosophy and as a philosopher is the original meaning, the question for knowledge.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Websterremembered
Posts: 95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 6:33:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 4:07:22 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
Do you know? Do I know? Does my dog know? Is Philosophy real? Is Philosophy transcendent? Can I get Philosophy at McDonald's or In N Out?

philosophy, like psychology and life is what we make of it. A personal world view is how I define it, that is why it is so complex and varied.
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 6:48:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/15/2012 4:07:22 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
Do you know? Do I know? Does my dog know? Is Philosophy real? Is Philosophy transcendent? Can I get Philosophy at McDonald's or In N Out?

Philosophy is the ability to react quickly to BS and point it out faster than the person next to you.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Websterremembered
Posts: 95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 7:01:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/25/2012 6:48:56 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 5/15/2012 4:07:22 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
Do you know? Do I know? Does my dog know? Is Philosophy real? Is Philosophy transcendent? Can I get Philosophy at McDonald's or In N Out?

Philosophy is the ability to react quickly to BS and point it out faster than the person next to you.

I thought that was intuition and wit.
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 7:02:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/25/2012 7:01:04 PM, Websterremembered wrote:
At 6/25/2012 6:48:56 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 5/15/2012 4:07:22 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
Do you know? Do I know? Does my dog know? Is Philosophy real? Is Philosophy transcendent? Can I get Philosophy at McDonald's or In N Out?

Philosophy is the ability to react quickly to BS and point it out faster than the person next to you.

I thought that was intuition and wit.

Same thing
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 7:10:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/25/2012 7:02:52 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 6/25/2012 7:01:04 PM, Websterremembered wrote:
At 6/25/2012 6:48:56 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 5/15/2012 4:07:22 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
Do you know? Do I know? Does my dog know? Is Philosophy real? Is Philosophy transcendent? Can I get Philosophy at McDonald's or In N Out?

Philosophy is the ability to react quickly to BS and point it out faster than the person next to you.

I thought that was intuition and wit.

Same thing

You can follow and espouse BS philosophy if you want, many do. A good "NO" BS philosophy, always, with out exception, yields positive obvious results that don't need endless explanation using charts and graphs and studies.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Websterremembered
Posts: 95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 8:26:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/25/2012 7:10:01 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 6/25/2012 7:02:52 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 6/25/2012 7:01:04 PM, Websterremembered wrote:
At 6/25/2012 6:48:56 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 5/15/2012 4:07:22 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
Do you know? Do I know? Does my dog know? Is Philosophy real? Is Philosophy transcendent? Can I get Philosophy at McDonald's or In N Out?

Philosophy is the ability to react quickly to BS and point it out faster than the person next to you.

I thought that was intuition and wit.

Same thing

You can follow and espouse BS philosophy if you want, many do. A good "NO" BS philosophy, always, with out exception, yields positive obvious results that don't need endless explanation using charts and graphs and studies.

I suppose your right.
jedipengiun
Posts: 169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 2:43:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Philosophy? It's picking arguments with dead people.

That's my favourite definition.
Things that make me happy!

: At 6/22/2012 1:46:11 PM, Kinesis wrote:
: Also, as an Englishman I'm obligated to be prejudiced against gingers and the French.

: At 8/27/2012 10:00:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
: Every self-respecting philosopher needs to smoke a pipe.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 3:21:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 2:43:09 PM, jedipengiun wrote:
Philosophy? It's picking arguments with dead people.

That's my favourite definition.

The Fool: Its the quest for salvation through knowledge. You are suppost to take the best set of argument from each philosopher, and through away the bad ones. You then organize the good ones into coherent whole. Creating a structure for which you can base intellegent decisions.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 7:28:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 3:21:33 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 6/27/2012 2:43:09 PM, jedipengiun wrote:
Philosophy? It's picking arguments with dead people.

That's my favourite definition.

The Fool: Its the quest for salvation through knowledge. You are suppost to take the best set of argument from each philosopher, and through away the bad ones. You then organize the good ones into coherent whole. Creating a structure for which you can base intellegent decisions.

That's what I said, but in a short and simple less wordy way. Weed out the BS.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 7:53:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Where we don't have a body of knowledge, we have philosophy.

And no, your dog will never, ever know or understand philosophy.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 7:53:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/28/2012 7:28:52 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 6/27/2012 3:21:33 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 6/27/2012 2:43:09 PM, jedipengiun wrote:
Philosophy? It's picking arguments with dead people.

That's my favourite definition.

The Fool: Its the quest for salvation through knowledge. You are suppost to take the best set of argument from each philosopher, and through away the bad ones. You then organize the good ones into coherent whole. Creating a structure for which you can base intellegent decisions.

That's what I said, but in a short and simple less wordy way. Weed out the BS.

lol
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 8:51:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 3:21:33 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 6/27/2012 2:43:09 PM, jedipengiun wrote:
Philosophy? It's picking arguments with dead people.

That's my favourite definition.

The Fool:

What is philosphy:
Original (etymological) Definition: The quest for salvation through knowledge.

Knowdege aquistion: You are suppost to take the best set of argument from each philosopher, and through away the bad ones.

Application:
You then organize the good ones into coherent whole. Creating a structure for which you can base intellegent decisions.

One is 'complete' and written with 'Precision'.

Vs

You can follow and espouse BS philosophy if you want, many do. A good "NO" BS philosophy, always, with out exception, yields positive obvious results that don't need endless explanation using charts and graphs and studies.

This doesn't answer the question 'what is philosophy?' Is starts our of no where. It uses the word philosophy in its description.

Positve results(vague)
+
results that don't need endless explanation using charts and graphs and studies.(aka Positive results)
+
A good "NO" BS philosophy, (aka Postive results)
+
don't(not) need endless explanation using charts and graphs and studies.(Not negative results.. aka postive results)

You never answered the question.

And worst of all Oyrus agree with you that its the same. <(XD)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 11:47:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/28/2012 8:51:59 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 6/27/2012 3:21:33 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 6/27/2012 2:43:09 PM, jedipengiun wrote:
Philosophy? It's picking arguments with dead people.

That's my favourite definition.

The Fool:

What is philosphy:
Original (etymological) Definition: The quest for salvation through knowledge.

Knowdege aquistion: You are suppost to take the best set of argument from each philosopher, and through away the bad ones.

Application:
You then organize the good ones into coherent whole. Creating a structure for which you can base intellegent decisions.

One is 'complete' and written with 'Precision'.

Vs

You can follow and espouse BS philosophy if you want, many do. A good "NO" BS philosophy, always, with out exception, yields positive obvious results that don't need endless explanation using charts and graphs and studies.

This doesn't answer the question 'what is philosophy?' Is starts our of no where. It uses the word philosophy in its description.

Positve results(vague)
+
results that don't need endless explanation using charts and graphs and studies.(aka Positive results)
+
A good "NO" BS philosophy, (aka Postive results)
+
don't(not) need endless explanation using charts and graphs and studies.(Not negative results.. aka postive results)

You never answered the question.

And worst of all Oyrus agree with you that its the same. <(XD)

Your response is BS. You want to argue for the sake of argument = Phylosophy
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
jedipengiun
Posts: 169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2012 11:19:49 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/29/2012 11:47:21 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 6/28/2012 8:51:59 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 6/27/2012 3:21:33 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 6/27/2012 2:43:09 PM, jedipengiun wrote:
Philosophy? It's picking arguments with dead people.

That's my favourite definition.

The Fool:

What is philosphy:
Original (etymological) Definition: The quest for salvation through knowledge.

Knowdege aquistion: You are suppost to take the best set of argument from each philosopher, and through away the bad ones.

Application:
You then organize the good ones into coherent whole. Creating a structure for which you can base intellegent decisions.

One is 'complete' and written with 'Precision'.

Vs

You can follow and espouse BS philosophy if you want, many do. A good "NO" BS philosophy, always, with out exception, yields positive obvious results that don't need endless explanation using charts and graphs and studies.

This doesn't answer the question 'what is philosophy?' Is starts our of no where. It uses the word philosophy in its description.

Positve results(vague)
+
results that don't need endless explanation using charts and graphs and studies.(aka Positive results)
+
A good "NO" BS philosophy, (aka Postive results)
+
don't(not) need endless explanation using charts and graphs and studies.(Not negative results.. aka postive results)

You never answered the question.

And worst of all Oyrus agree with you that its the same. <(XD)

Your response is BS. You want to argue for the sake of argument = Phylosophy

This. :)
I know what philosophy is i've studied it for several year and i'm going on to do so in university. It's my favourite definition. That's all I said.
Things that make me happy!

: At 6/22/2012 1:46:11 PM, Kinesis wrote:
: Also, as an Englishman I'm obligated to be prejudiced against gingers and the French.

: At 8/27/2012 10:00:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
: Every self-respecting philosopher needs to smoke a pipe.