Jump to topic:

Reading books in Postmodernism (And Existenti

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 3:07:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is a spin-off on LordKnuckle's thread. I have become more and more immersed in works that incorporate some undercurrents of existentialism and now, in a further framework, postmodernism.

I suppose I could get personal reference to works on postmodernism or any central books in its philosophical tradition--whether in any of its subsets (deconstruction, structuralism, etc) as well on existentialism.

[I created a separate thread here to avoid diverting LK's thread. Moreover, if I used wrong categories--subset of disciplines vs field, etc, feel free to correct me.]
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 3:14:28 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org...(novel)

This is a good book, with an (arguably) existential outlook. It's fiction though.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 3:16:01 PM
Camus' works, yes. Also, Sartre's book which is On Nothing and something or something like that.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 3:29:14 PM
Well, those books are good, but I'd ask for books such as collections of essays or expositions.

Fiction narratives perhaps are a good way to see such messages and principles in dynamic action...in the stories.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 9:13:09 PM
At 6/10/2012 3:29:14 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Well, those books are good, but I'd ask for books such as collections of essays or expositions.

Fiction narratives perhaps are a good way to see such messages and principles in dynamic action...in the stories.

The Fool: and another Clown is born.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 9:18:48 PM
At 6/10/2012 9:13:09 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

What is the difference between a Clown and a Fool?

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 10:37:20 PM
At 6/10/2012 9:18:48 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

A clown only pretends to be an idiot.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 10:40:44 PM

The Fool: The clown is in a Circus
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 10:42:28 PM
At 6/10/2012 10:37:20 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Ah, I see. I certainly don't hope there are...other implications from that statement...

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 10:45:40 PM
At 6/10/2012 10:42:28 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Ah, I see. I certainly don't hope there are...other implications from that statement...

People will interpret literature independent of authorial intent. High school English classes are revealing in this regard.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 10:47:23 PM
At 6/10/2012 10:45:40 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

People will interpret literature independent of authorial intent. High school English classes are revealing in this regard.

Well, yes. I suppose that is certainly true, especially given factors that can influence interpretation.

I'll continue this conversation in a PM.

The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 10:48:02 PM
At 6/10/2012 10:45:40 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

The Fool: maybe

The Fool: don't worry he is part of it. One of ring leaders.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 10:53:06 PM
Well, Fool, any enlightenment on postmodernism that you can offer?

tarkovsky
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 11:37:13 PM
At 6/10/2012 11:18:25 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
Michel Foucault - read anything by him, it's as good as postmodern philosophy gets.

I second this. If you need to start somewhere Discipline and Punish is good. If you find you like him a lot, read The History of Madness. It's a mammoth of a book but oh dear lord is it good.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 11:40:57 PM
At 6/10/2012 11:37:13 PM, tarkovsky wrote:
At 6/10/2012 11:18:25 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
Michel Foucault - read anything by him, it's as good as postmodern philosophy gets.

I second this. If you need to start somewhere Discipline and Punish is good. If you find you like him a lot, read The History of Madness. It's a mammoth of a book but oh dear lord is it good.

Well, another good book to read as well as the Postmodern Condition.

I am now opening up into the world of philosophy and I expect nothing less than a period of enlightenment or inspiration.:)

The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2012 11:44:25 PM
At 6/10/2012 10:53:06 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Well, Fool, any enlightenment on postmodernism that you can offer?

The Fool: Most of it is fundemanism. Selfishism and in the end harms us.
The entire subjectivist enter prize can be refute is one fowl swoop.

For any claim of subjecitvism, is subjective. Thus any claim beyond, intuitive sensation, presupposes more then that.

AKa: If we say knowledge is subjective. Will have Made Universal CLAIM! which contradicts subjectivism.

The problem is simple you see, its cause by manipulation of the definitions.

For its appearent, when we return to the original philosphers definition of the meaning universe. For lets call this the absolute universe. Thus referring to all things that exist. Not physicalims use of 'universe' which refers to the 'idea' of only physical thing. aka sense data. And not the theologins use of PHYSICAL symbol 'universe' which refers to of "all things existing"" except the 'outside'

Thus abolutly everything, that can be felt, "Ideas" recognized or spoken, of and including all that we don't know, exist in the Absolute universe,(the original purpose of unifrom. That is there is only EXISTENCE. for non existence is not there.

That you will see the false dichotomy, of subjective and objectivty, exposed, in that all things are objective, and subjective is simply a small category withing Objectivty.

More proof is that langauge could not exist, because understanding depends on the syncronation of "idea"

The language is organized sets of physical symbols, we use to communicate our ideas. But with manipulation of language, by postivist, they have been called non-existent. That is Called non-existence. They can't be made, non-exist.
Thus enabling a wiggenstiening, irrational understanding of language "language game" plunging society into a circular, understanding of any form of intellectual progress. A world where the Physical symbols, are also the meaning.

Thus because THE CIRCUS which is made up of subjectivist fundemtalists, condemed there with a circular understanding of knowledge. Plugging them into an world of never ending ciculary, a world of illusion, but a safe house, to never be wrong yet never be right, a world of no morals, of no existence of emotions, feeling, self, or progress, but rather perception of going somewhere but always ending up in the same stop. These inhabitence of the Circus, are THE CLOWNS. And around and around they go. For these are the words of THE FOOL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 12:02:44 AM
The Fool: that is not even a glimps, I will probably right a large article on it.

But my advise is be carefull in there, never forget how you got, for you may never get out!!!
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 12:04:02 AM
At 6/11/2012 12:02:44 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool: that is not even a glimps, I will probably right a large article on it.

But my advise is be carefull in there, never forget how you got in, for you may never get out!!!

(english is not my first language, I am french.)
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 11:11:53 AM
At 6/11/2012 12:04:02 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 6/11/2012 12:02:44 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

But my advise is be carefull in there, never forget how you got in, for you may never get out!!!

(english is not my first language, I am french.)

That explains a lot, if only mattrodstrom had a similiar excuse...