Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 10:05:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What is it?

Is it important?

How is it achieved?

Do you have it?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 10:07:50 PM
At 6/11/2012 10:05:25 PM, Oryus wrote:
What is it?

Happiness is a mental or emotional state of well-being characterized by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy.

Aka, Beer.

Is it important?

To a degree. It shouldn't be all important, but if you can achieve it without personal harm, or harm of some else, I would say yes. Depends on the degree of harm as well.

How is it achieved?

Beer.

No, in all seriousness, this is like asking how can you kill yourself. TONS of ways.

Do you have it?

No. But it is preferable.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 10:12:18 PM
At 6/11/2012 10:07:50 PM, OberHerr wrote:
What is it?

Happiness is a mental or emotional state of well-being characterized by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy.

Aka, Beer.

Is it important?

To a degree. It shouldn't be all important, but if you can achieve it without personal harm, or harm of some else, I would say yes. Depends on the degree of harm as well.

How is it achieved?

Beer.

No, in all seriousness, this is like asking how can you kill yourself. TONS of ways.

Do you have it?

No. But it is preferable.

If it were really that simple, you'd be happy.

Next.

;)
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 10:14:25 PM
Depends on the weights on the scale sis.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 10:21:07 PM
At 6/11/2012 10:14:25 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Depends on the weights on the scale sis.

And now that you've gone offline, I cannot ask you what on Earth you are referring to.
:
Aayu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 10:42:47 PM
What is it?

The question is pretty broad. I would contend that happiness is the extent to which we are fulfilling our potential in our life.

Is it important?

Of course. From a personal point of view, definitely. From a societal point of view, depends on what you believe your potential is. If you gain intense orgasmic pleasure from bombing a crowded place, sustaining your happiness is not important for the population as a whole.

How is it achieved?

By striving to reach your 'maximum potential'.

Do you have it?

I have bouts of pleasure.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 10:54:19 PM
What is it?

Happiness is a chemical and neurophysiology configuration.
Is it important?

Happiness is important for getting more happiness. For example, a good attitude is the result of being happy. If you have a good attitude you will be more successful at getting the things you want in life.

How is it achieved?

Getting that chemical and neurophysiology configuration right. Exercise, good food, romance, friends, fulfilling job, the right drugs at the right time, etc...

Do you have it?
Yes, I'm blessed to have a lot of good things in my life.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 12:03:20 AM
It is in my opinion what should be the most sought after state of being. More important than pleasure, success, wealth, even well-being(though that would depend). What else would you possibily want other than happiness? If you're happy you're content. You don't need anything else. And no, real happiness is not beer as others might/have implied. That is temporary pleasure that quickly goes away and often leads to less happiness. I honestly can't conceive of any greater goal than to be happy hence why I lean to utilitarianism.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Awesome-Sauce
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 12:13:45 AM
What is it?

Happiness is, like phantom said, not needing anything else - being content with what you have.

Is it important?

Happiness is the most important thing in life in my opinion. What's the point of living if you aren't happy?

How is it achieved?

Happiness is very hard to achieve, because there's always something that we as humans don't have that we want. A lot of people rely on material things to bring happiness, but really these things only bring a brief feeling of luxury and joy, not true happiness.

Do you have it?

I have moments of happiness, yes, just like I think most people do.
Cogito ergo sum - Rene Descartes

: At 6/23/2012 1:15:48 AM, bossyburrito wrote: (to Jimtimmy)
:
: You are the equivelent of a fly buzzing around a cow. I can just swat you with my tail without it taking my attention away from grazing the sweet grass that is DDO.

DDOians for a better DDO! (DDOfabDDO)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 12:20:36 AM
And to the last question not at all, mainly due to my skepticism. Though there are of course moments.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 2:25:07 AM
At 6/12/2012 12:20:36 AM, phantom wrote:
And to the last question not at all, mainly due to my skepticism. Though there are of course moments.

Skepticism and happiness are incompatible?
:
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 2:34:05 AM
What is it?

Ahh... it is a pleasant state of being that denotes satiety ad safety.

Is it important?

Not necessarily, in the cosmological sense (which is, I'm sure, where a conversation like this would end up if I were to say yes), but it is certainly a decent objective to pursue, depending on whether it infringes on the happiness of others. I mean, you know... that whole morality thing. Because, ultimately, I think humans have satisfied themselves thus far in pursuing this elusive, indistinct "happiness," no matter how counterintuitive the means.

How is it achieved?

The same way any emotion is achieved. You know, like sadness. Sad things spur sadness, right? Happy things spur happiness.

Do you have it?

Sometimes.

Rarely.

/shrug
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 2:48:33 AM
At 6/12/2012 2:34:05 AM, Ren wrote:
What is it?

Ahh... it is a pleasant state of being that denotes satiety ad safety.

Is it important?

Not necessarily, in the cosmological sense (which is, I'm sure, where a conversation like this would end up if I were to say yes),

Perhaps! Though that's not where I would have taken it, personally. I was thinking in a few other directions. But that's just the fun of the open-ended question. Half the fun is in what you think I'm getting at, half the fun is in your answer! I suppose that is just because to get at what you think about happiness, you have to conceptualize it.

It's interesting to hear so many different emotions in response to "happiness." All fairly different responses, despite the fact that happiness is such a common experience. I wonder how much true disagreement there is and how much of the description of happiness is simply lost in translation.

but it is certainly a decent objective to pursue, depending on whether it infringes on the happiness of others. I mean, you know... that whole morality thing. Because, ultimately, I think humans have satisfied themselves thus far in pursuing this elusive, indistinct "happiness," no matter how counterintuitive the means.

How is it achieved?

The same way any emotion is achieved. You know, like sadness. Sad things spur sadness, right? Happy things spur happiness.

Do you have it?

Sometimes.

Rarely.

/shrug
:
cheesedingo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 2:49:10 AM
What is it?
Happiness is that feeling when you would rather be in that exact spot than anywhere else in the world. That is TRUE hapiness.

Is it important?
Of course. That is a given. I used to be in a state where i was void of hapiness, and it nearly drove me to suicide. If i had not found hapiness, i would probably not be here now, talking to you.

How is it achieved?
Depends. Hapiness is acheived by something, meaning a noun. So, lets look at the aspects of the noun and how to find hapiness in each.

Person: Well, to find hapiness in a person, look at their good qualities. When you find true, PURE hapiness in someone, you must connect. Not literally, but spiritually. It doesn't have to be a connection in a sensual way, it can be with anyone, a friend or a group of friends you have interest in sexually. While hapiness IS found in sex often, you can not have sex forever (realisticly).

Place: Finding hapiness in a place is looking at the quality of the scene or a destination and finding the beauty in it. In every scene, you can find hapiness (except hell, cause hell's a b!tch). If you can't find something beautiful thing in a scene, find the most attractive or least repulsive thing in it, and find joy out of that.

Thing: This is often seen as the most secular of the 3. Finding joy in an object such as money or possesions is often short lived, but hapiness is still there nontheless. If you DO find hapiness in a 'thing', try not to be TOO connected with it, as it can lead to an adiction or habit, and you will lose the hapiness in it.

Do you have it?
I'm finding less and less of it, but it is still there nontheless.

I hope i could help. :)
My name is Cheesedingo1. I am a dingo. Made of cheese. My favorite number is one. BOOM.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 2:55:18 AM
I notice only one person was certain enough that they are happy to flat-out answer "Yes" to the question, "Do you have it?"

Is there a general consensus that happiness is out of one's control or difficult to achieve?
:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 3:03:34 AM
At 6/12/2012 2:55:18 AM, Oryus wrote:
I notice only one person was certain enough that they are happy to flat-out answer "Yes" to the question, "Do you have it?"

Is there a general consensus that happiness is out of one's control or difficult to achieve?

i would say that people on DDO would tend to attract more unhappy people. People that tend to worry about philosophical, political, economic, and social problems tend to be the least happy. While those who lead a care-free life would likely be the most happy. Basically, ignorance is bliss.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 3:10:43 AM
At 6/12/2012 2:49:10 AM, cheesedingo1 wrote:
What is it?
Happiness is that feeling when you would rather be in that exact spot than anywhere else in the world. That is TRUE hapiness.

Is it important?
Of course. That is a given. I used to be in a state where i was void of hapiness, and it nearly drove me to suicide. If i had not found hapiness, i would probably not be here now, talking to you.

How is it achieved?
Depends. Hapiness is acheived by something, meaning a noun. So, lets look at the aspects of the noun and how to find hapiness in each.

Person: Well, to find hapiness in a person, look at their good qualities. When you find true, PURE hapiness in someone, you must connect. Not literally, but spiritually. It doesn't have to be a connection in a sensual way, it can be with anyone, a friend or a group of friends you have interest in sexually. While hapiness IS found in sex often, you can not have sex forever (realisticly).

Place: Finding hapiness in a place is looking at the quality of the scene or a destination and finding the beauty in it. In every scene, you can find hapiness (except hell, cause hell's a b!tch). If you can't find something beautiful thing in a scene, find the most attractive or least repulsive thing in it, and find joy out of that.

Thing: This is often seen as the most secular of the 3. Finding joy in an object such as money or possesions is often short lived, but hapiness is still there nontheless. If you DO find hapiness in a 'thing', try not to be TOO connected with it, as it can lead to an adiction or habit, and you will lose the hapiness in it.

Do you have it?
I'm finding less and less of it, but it is still there nontheless.

I hope i could help. :)

Interesting way to look at it.

So from the nouns, we can conclude that, for the most part, it's up to us to find the good in things enough to gain happiness. But when it comes to people, we must connect. What does it mean to connect to a person?

Surely there are many activities we can do that bring us happiness? Games, sports, hobbies, careers, learning, etc. The worlds not all noun. Give it a little more credit, First Dingo. :)
:
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 11:43:51 AM
At 6/12/2012 2:25:07 AM, Oryus wrote:

I never said that but it is no rare occurance for skepticism to cause depression.
Aayu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 11:48:55 AM
At 6/12/2012 3:03:34 AM, darkkermit wrote:

i would say that people on DDO would tend to attract more unhappy people. People that tend to worry about philosophical, political, economic, and social problems tend to be the least happy. While those who lead a care-free life would likely be the most happy. Basically, ignorance is bliss.

I don't think people in general let philosophical concerns impede their personal lives.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 11:52:04 AM
At 6/12/2012 11:48:55 AM, Aayu wrote:

I don't think people in general let philosophical concerns impede their personal lives.

Hmmm... that depends.

There are those that live in their heads, those that live in the future, those that live in the past, and those that live in the present.

I'd have to say that only the latter are free of allowing their philosophical concerns influence their lives. I'm willing to bet that that latter is a rather extreme minority, too, but I'm obviously not certain.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 11:56:45 AM
What is it?

Umm...happiness is a state of well being characterized by emotions from contentment to joy.

Is it important?

To some people, yes. To other people, no.

How is it achieved?

A person does what makes them happy....to some this could be listening to music, to other's sky-diving. Depends on the person.

Do you have it?

No. Never will be able to.
Aayu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 12:12:14 PM
At 6/12/2012 11:52:04 AM, Ren wrote:
At 6/12/2012 11:48:55 AM, Aayu wrote:

Hmmm... that depends.

There are those that live in their heads, those that live in the future, those that live in the past, and those that live in the present.

I'd have to say that only the latter are free of allowing their philosophical concerns influence their lives. I'm willing to bet that that latter is a rather extreme minority, too, but I'm obviously not certain.

I think dividing people on this basis is rather arbitrary. There are different ratios of the amount of time spent thinking about a particular facet of time. Thinking about past is almost as important as thinking about future, and present. I guess the real dichotomy here is between short term vs long term happiness. Pleasure vs happiness, if you will.

But still, allowing philosophical concerns, concerns about the economy, societal problems influence the level of happiness in your personal life still seems a far fetched idea to me. Maybe the people concerned are those that live in their heads... but that is not the general case, i should contend.
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 12:19:55 PM
What is it?

In a coming debate, I'll argue that perfect happiness is wholeness.

Ultimately it has to be experience from a knowledge by aquaintence rather than knowledge by description.

But perfect or complete happiness is Wholeness.

Is it important?

It's existentially significant, yes. I mean that's just obvious that it's existentially greater to experience happiness than sadness-- but to know happiness through sadness is, paradoxically, the greatest. (I'll argue, O Felix Culpa).

How is it achieved?

This is the most important question. Not what it is, but how is it achieved. I think we'll know better what happiness actually is by knowing how it can be obtained. For happiness is a by-product of some qualitative thing.

Yet complete happiness would seem to follow from the experience of a thing which is infinite in both quality (Maximal greatness) & quantity (immortality).

Do you have it?
Gradually so. I don't think it's fully obtainable in this life, only parts or occasions peak through. But the real heart of the matter isn't happiness, for chasing after happiness it's like a chasing after the end of a whip-- it will always evade you.
TheOrator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 12:59:49 PM
On how it is it achieved, I beleive in three things. 1.) happiness can be acheived by meeting one's values (as proposed by Ayn Rand) and 2.) Happiness can be acheived by furthering your own survival (as proposed by various neuroscientists, I can provide citations if you wish but I find this a common sensical conclusion) through activities like eating or staying warm and 3.) Happiness can be acheived by manipulating the chemicals normally released through the above two reasons, normally through narcotics (I'm not advocating narcotics, as the majority lead to negative effects, just that it happens).

I'm not quite prepared to propose what happiness is, other than a feeling you get when chemicals are released in your brain as a reward for furthering your interests or providing for your own survival.
My legend begins in the 12th century
TheOrator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 1:01:36 PM
Is it important? Well, the feeling itself not so much, but what you need to do to acheive happiness is indeed important.

Do I have it? Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
My legend begins in the 12th century
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 1:12:42 PM
At 6/12/2012 11:43:51 AM, phantom wrote:
At 6/12/2012 2:25:07 AM, Oryus wrote:

I never said that but it is no rare occurance for skepticism to cause depression.

But why?
:
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 1:23:56 PM
It depends on how many digits your bank account has.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 1:27:21 PM
At 6/12/2012 12:19:55 PM, Reason_Alliance wrote:
What is it?

In a coming debate, I'll argue that perfect happiness is wholeness.

Ultimately it has to be experience from a knowledge by aquaintence rather than knowledge by description.

But perfect or complete happiness is Wholeness.

Is it important?

It's existentially significant, yes. I mean that's just obvious that it's existentially greater to experience happiness than sadness-- but to know happiness through sadness is, paradoxically, the greatest. (I'll argue, O Felix Culpa).

How is it achieved?

This is the most important question. Not what it is, but how is it achieved. I think we'll know better what happiness actually is by knowing how it can be obtained. For happiness is a by-product of some qualitative thing.

Yet complete happiness would seem to follow from the experience of a thing which is infinite in both quality (Maximal greatness) & quantity (immortality).

Do you have it?
Gradually so. I don't think it's fully obtainable in this life, only parts or occasions peak through. But the real heart of the matter isn't happiness, for chasing after happiness it's like a chasing after the end of a whip-- it will always evade you.

I'm going to keep you and call you George. My favored answer though, I might disagree. I think it is "fully" obtainable. I may be misunderstanding you. Do you mean to say that it's not possible to be happy every minute of every day? I think I'd have to agree with that.

As for your last sentence, it reminds me of a J.S. Mill quote: "Ask yourself whether you are happy, and you cease to be so." It's like trying to witness that speck of dirt on your eyeball... the more you try to look at it, the more you fail. Very elusive. But that brings it back to what Ren has said- the happiest people are "in the moment" so-to-speak. They are invested in what they are doing right now- not concerned with a futile wish to correct the past (Nietzsche actually wrote on memory and happiness if I remember correctly. It was very interesting.), not concerned with merely attaining a goal. In other words, the journey should be what one gains happiness from. If you concern yourself only with goals and material gain (also brought up by people), you will forever be discontented, always attempting to top the last goal. Dissatisfied. However, for some people, the mere challenge of topping goals may be the very journey they enjoy. Like many have said, it depends.

Happiness is interesting. ^.^
:
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 1:28:05 PM
What is it?

A complex psychological reaction spurred by things that are enjoyable to us, and/or release endorphins.

Is it important?

Yes. It feels really bad to be sad or angry or other emotions other than happy all the time.

How is it achieved?

By engaging in activities that are enjoyable.

Do you have it?

Not right now.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 1:42:50 PM
Studies have found that clinically depressed people are far more realistic when rating their own abilities (compared to normal people - 87% of whom rate themselves as above average). Therefore, true happiness requires the ability to delude yourself about your own abilities and the world around you.

And to answer your last question: yes, I'm happy.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)