Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

Studying philosophy?

The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 12:28:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Fool:
Is anybody currently studying or reading philosophy?

Who?

Which Philosopher or Philosophy in general?

Is it intresting or boring?

Do you like the philosopher?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
jedipengiun
Posts: 169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 12:48:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 12:28:10 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool:
Is anybody currently studying or reading philosophy?
I am!!
Who?
J.S Mill
Which Philosopher or Philosophy in general?
On Liberty, we have to analyse read and understand the book!
Is it intresting or boring?
SOOOOOOOOOO BORING! It's as if he was paid per word, really doesn't help anyone with the way he writes. Fortunately our teacher has said it's not Necessary to read the entire book to pass the exam and get a high mark. So i'm not reading it until after my exam! Not properly anyhow.
Do you like the philosopher?
He seems to have amazing idea's and idea's i'd probably subscribe too. Minus the gambling aspect but that's simply because I love gambling.
Things that make me happy!

: At 6/22/2012 1:46:11 PM, Kinesis wrote:
: Also, as an Englishman I'm obligated to be prejudiced against gingers and the French.

: At 8/27/2012 10:00:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
: Every self-respecting philosopher needs to smoke a pipe.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 3:38:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 12:28:10 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool:
Is anybody currently studying or reading philosophy?

Yes

Who?

Me

Which Philosopher or Philosophy in general?

Eh...Everything, ethics, political philosophy, logic etc...Though I'm also reading a few select philosophers, Kant, Aristotle, Spinoza, and Aquinas. And no, not all at once. I'm taking it slow.

Is it intresting or boring?

Very interesting.

Do you like the philosopher?

Yes.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 3:52:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 12:28:10 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool:
Is anybody currently studying or reading philosophy?

Who?

The Fool

Which Philosopher or Philosophy in general?

My main Focus, is on Nietzsche. Just about done 'Beyond Good and Evil'

Is it intresting or boring?

Its higher entertainment value. But I don't take it seriously as a philosophy, its more of Rhetorical opinionated and Sarcastic Pessimism, as oppose to a rigious, critical analysis. He is what is often call a negative philosopher like quine. who bashes everything and everbody, but doesn't really produce that much positive argument on his own.

Do you like the philosopher?

For entertainment, value I enjoy his use of language, and sometimes his insult are Funny. I have an audio, book of him, and the speaker of Nietzsche is really good at capturing the mood, wit, and immotive sense of Nietzsche. It may be in dramatic form but it is damn entertaining.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Clash
Posts: 220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 4:00:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have read a little bit about philosophy of religion and ethics (Just on some online philosophy sites). Have also read some works of some Muslim philosophers like Al-Ghazali and Avicenna. Very interesting, especially Avicenna and his works. I don't read anything about philosophy know. Really, I just think it's a waste of time. Most of it is just opinions and can't really be proven. It's interesting however, but really not something I would take seriously or something
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 4:28:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 12:28:10 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool:
Is anybody currently studying or reading philosophy?

As an amateur.

Which Philosopher or Philosophy in general?

Looking into Hegelianism and Marxism.

Is it intresting or boring?

Hegel is extremely interesting, just hard to actually understand. Hegel was apparently an arse when he wrote stuff and was purposely obscure. Marx is pretty easy though to understand and the political implications of his thought make his work extremely interesting as well.

Do you like the philosopher?

Yeah.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 5:50:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 4:00:47 PM, Clash wrote:
I have read a little bit about philosophy of religion and ethics (Just on some online philosophy sites). Have also read some works of some Muslim philosophers like Al-Ghazali and Avicenna. Very interesting, especially Avicenna and his works. I don't read anything about philosophy know. Really, I just think it's a waste of time. Most of it is just opinions and can't really be proven. It's interesting however, but really not something I would take seriously or something

The Fool: Mabye you are taking it seriously if you think so or not.

E.g. What is proof??/

You must know what proof is to claim that it doesn't proof anything??
Thus it depend on you understanding of logic.
For the application of Logic= is the application of proof...
Now we all have an intution of what is proof. But we could think much more efficiantly is we can know exactly what it is? No,
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
TheOrator
Posts: 172
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 7:42:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 12:28:10 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool:
Is anybody currently studying or reading philosophy?
Yup yup yup

Who?
Excalibur

Which Philosopher or Philosophy in general?
The philosophy of Excalibur's viewpoint of life, as taken from his quotes.

Is it intresting or boring?
You tell me

I don't know what language that's in as my sound isn't on, but the Japanese voices are better than English if you want to look it up.

Do you like the philosopher?
But of course
My legend begins in the 12th century
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 8:38:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 7:42:45 PM, TheOrator wrote:
At 6/16/2012 12:28:10 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool:
Is anybody currently studying or reading philosophy?
Yup yup yup

Who?
Excalibur

Which Philosopher or Philosophy in general?
The philosophy of Excalibur's viewpoint of life, as taken from his quotes.

Is it intresting or boring?
You tell me



I don't know what language that's in as my sound isn't on, but the Japanese voices are better than English if you want to look it up.

Do you like the philosopher?
But of course

The Fool: I guess I should expect these things. For that is the curse of The Fool.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 10:00:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 3:52:55 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 6/16/2012 12:28:10 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool:
Is anybody currently studying or reading philosophy?

Who?

The Fool

Which Philosopher or Philosophy in general?

My main Focus, is on Nietzsche. Just about done 'Beyond Good and Evil'

Is it intresting or boring?

Its higher entertainment value. But I don't take it seriously as a philosophy, its more of Rhetorical opinionated and Sarcastic Pessimism, as oppose to a rigious, critical analysis. He is what is often call a negative philosopher like quine. who bashes everything and everbody, but doesn't really produce that much positive argument on his own.

Do you like the philosopher?

For entertainment, value I enjoy his use of language, and sometimes his insult are Funny. I have an audio, book of him, and the speaker of Nietzsche is really good at capturing the mood, wit, and immotive sense of Nietzsche. It may be in dramatic form but it is damn entertaining.

Not "The Fool:"?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 11:08:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 4:28:18 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 6/16/2012 12:28:10 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool:
Is anybody currently studying or reading philosophy?

As an amateur.

You're too modest. :)


Which Philosopher or Philosophy in general?

Looking into Hegelianism and Marxism.

Is it intresting or boring?

Hegel is extremely interesting, just hard to actually understand. Hegel was apparently an arse when he wrote stuff and was purposely obscure. Marx is pretty easy though to understand and the political implications of his thought make his work extremely interesting as well.

Do you like the philosopher?

Yeah.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 11:15:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 10:00:59 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 6/16/2012 3:52:55 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 6/16/2012 12:28:10 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool:
Is anybody currently studying or reading philosophy?

Who?

The Fool

Which Philosopher or Philosophy in general?

My main Focus, is on Nietzsche. Just about done 'Beyond Good and Evil'

Is it intresting or boring?

Its higher entertainment value. But I don't take it seriously as a philosophy, its more of Rhetorical opinionated and Sarcastic Pessimism, as oppose to a rigious, critical analysis. He is what is often call a negative philosopher like quine. who bashes everything and everbody, but doesn't really produce that much positive argument on his own.

Do you like the philosopher?

For entertainment, value I enjoy his use of language, and sometimes his insult are Funny. I have an audio, book of him, and the speaker of Nietzsche is really good at capturing the mood, wit, and immotive sense of Nietzsche. It may be in dramatic form but it is damn entertaining.

Not "The Fool:"?

The Fool: as in?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 11:22:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 12:28:10 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool:
Is anybody currently studying or reading philosophy?

Who?

Which Philosopher or Philosophy in general?

Is it intresting or boring?

Do you like the philosopher?

I don't really absorb philosophy the way a lot of people here do and I don't find most of it (the academic stuff) very useful. In fact, after listening to an audiobook of Russell's History of Western Philosophy, I decided I would never read philosophy again.

However, after engaging in and reading arguments here at DDO, I see that an understanding of philosophy is important to understand and win many types of important arguments. All arguments tend to eventually be based on what we call philosophy anyway once boil them down to their foundations.

So I do try to cultivate a general understanding of the subject. It's my goal to learn as much about philosophy as I can, even thought most of my philosophical education will come from audiobooks instead of a college setting.

Currently I'm reading Hume and other English/Scottish Enlightenment philosophers though I'm looking forward to Plato, Marx and Wittgenstein (though I don't think I will get Wittgenstein).
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 11:34:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am; Buddha; It is far from boring; yes he seems cool.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 11:41:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Currently I'm reading Hume and other English/Scottish Enlightenment philosophers though I'm looking forward to Plato, Marx and Wittgenstein (though I don't think I will get Wittgenstein).

Wittgenstein is difficult, and he took me like half a year to get and when you first open PI it'll take a while to catch on. I want to re-read it sometime this summer, but I was in a Wittgenstein course this year so maybe we could get like a dialogue going.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 1:43:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 4:00:47 PM, Clash wrote:
I have read a little bit about philosophy of religion and ethics (Just on some online philosophy sites). Have also read some works of some Muslim philosophers like Al-Ghazali and Avicenna. Very interesting, especially Avicenna and his works. I don't read anything about philosophy know. Really, I just think it's a waste of time. Most of it is just opinions and can't really be proven. It's interesting however, but really not something I would take seriously or something

In The Revival Of The Religious Sciences Ghazali defines the woman's role:
- She should stay at home and get on with her spinning
- She can go out only in emergencies.
- She must not be well-informed nor must she be communicative with her neighbors and only visit them when absolutely necessary.
- She should take care of her husband and respect him in his presence and his absence and seek to satisfy him in everything.
- She must not leave her house without his permission and if given his permission she must leave secretly.
- She should put on old clothes and take deserted streets and alleys, avoid markets, and make sure that a stranger does not hear her voice, her footsteps, smell her or recognize her.
- She must not speak to a friend of her husband even in need.
- Her sole worry should be her "al bud" (reproductive organs) her home as well as her prayers and her fast (starvation for Allah).
- If a friend of her husband calls when her husband is absent she must not open the door nor reply to him in order to safeguard her "al bud".
- She should accept what her husband gives her as sufficient sexual needs at any moment.
- She should be clean and ready to satisfy her husband's sexual needs at any moment.
The great theologian then warns all men to be careful of women for their "guile is immense and their mischief is noxious; they are immoral and mean spirited".
Like a true Muslim cleric Ghazali states "It is a fact that all the trials, misfortunes and woes which befall men come from women".
In his Book of Counsel for Kings, Ghazali sums up all that a woman has to endure because of Eve's misbehavior in the Garden of Eden:
"When Eve ate fruit which He had forbidden to her from the tree in Paradise, the Lord, be He praised, cursed women with eighteen punishments:
-menstruation;
- childbirth;
- separation from mother and father and marriage to a stranger;
- pregnancy;
- not having control over her own person;
- a lesser share in inheritance; (one half of the male as per the Quran)
- her liability to be divorced and inability to divorce;
- its being lawful for men to have four wives, but for a woman to have only one husband;
- the fact that she must stay secluded in the house;
- the fact that she must keep her head covered inside the house;
- the fact that two women's testimony has to be set against the testimony of one man;
- the fact that she must not go out of the house unless accompanied by a near relative;
- the fact that men take part in Friday and feast day prayers and funerals while women do not;
- disqualification for ruler ship and judgeship;
- the fact that merit has one thousand components, only one of which is attributable to women, while 999 are attributable to men;
- the fact that if women are profligate they will be given twice as much torment as the rest of the community at the Resurrection Day;
- the fact that if their husbands die they must observe a waiting period of four months and ten days before remarrying;
The idea that a woman's sole purpose and "... duty is to stay at home to satisfy the sexual appetite of her husband" is again summed up in Ghazali's Proof Of Islam. Ghazali is still so highly revered amongst the majority of Muslim clerics that that he is called "proof of Islam".
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 3:12:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 11:41:06 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Currently I'm reading Hume and other English/Scottish Enlightenment philosophers though I'm looking forward to Plato, Marx and Wittgenstein (though I don't think I will get Wittgenstein).

Wittgenstein is difficult, and he took me like half a year to get and when you first open PI it'll take a while to catch on. I want to re-read it sometime this summer, but I was in a Wittgenstein course this year so maybe we could get like a dialogue going.

The Fool: I know him pretty well. He used to be one of my favourite. Now people will not like what I am going to say. Because he is a fan favourit. But I am just being honest.

Honestly, I used to like wittgenstien lot. But I just can't anymore, I find his philosophy more harmfull to us then Good.

Its to over symplistic which makes it easy to believe, yet so hard to get rid of.

-Logic by truth function is a Fail.
-Positivism was a fail, and harmful, to us.
-behaviorism. aka ' I am in pain is a Non-sense claim'. ???
-'language games' really hurt us, its circular and has hurt are abililty to communicate concept that were before easy and simple.

Russal was the Greater in the end.(my opinion)

Wittgensteins original intentions were negative, he was educated in physics and arrogant as hell. He really thought he had solve all the so called 'illusionary' problems of philosophy. He really thought philosophy was bullsh!t. He never studied passed philosophers, he was ignorant to problems that have already been Better explained. Lockian language theory was better, as in a 'word' refers to an 'idea'. Which the popular notion of physicalism could not interpret properly, because they 'Erased our minds'.

Calling only that which exist is physical. aka labeling, not acually making it not exist.(This non-exist mind think is so hurtfull to us)

Thus when looking back to what the answers had been given in the passed they did so with bias of thier understandings, confusing Humes 'Idea' is an impression, with other philosophers. For Hume experiences make an impression, as in literal 'press like a stamp on the mind which can fade slowly over time. (this is where we get the modern notion of making an impression on somebody)
(Think Tabula Rasa.)

For Lockes theory was more complete and inline with the Enlightenments understanding, of an idea. (Kant being the best, but I am biased.)

Anyways,(sorry for the tangent) but what Wittgenstein niavly set out to destroy was much more powerfull then he assumed and it swallowed him up into itself. Making him an inadvertant philosopher trapped in his own circular and never ending labyrinth of 'language games". In the end he was more confused then when he started.

The Fool: I can write an article or more complete thread on this, and we can discuss. Is anybody intrested in this?
(no way not more Fool babble, whats he sayin? the spelling is all wrong.)
(I don't want to waste time to just a plethora of ad-hominens, for discussing topics with more depth, then we usually get to on here.)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 3:17:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Fool: I would love to get more progressive discussions going on. There is a lot more information from the experiences that we have had then we think. Its just a matter of organizing what we have, through, argument and refutation, (an organized philosophic dialectic) I got the formula but for it to work you have to let go of your pride and trust me. Or atleast vote for a discussion mediator. Acually we can even have a mini-philosophers debate tournament, in which nomanies can fight to be voted for a moderator for a certain amount of time.
He can be voted out if we are displeased and start another tourny. But after we master a few trial runs and establish rules, we can then to it on our own.
That is if you care to make the philosophy forum a much more progressive learning experience. All it take is cooperation, and some faith in each other. But this is all Foolish talk.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
YYW
Posts: 36,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 7:37:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 12:28:10 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool:
Is anybody currently studying or reading philosophy?

I wouldn't call what I'm doing studying, but I do periodically enjoy reading or hearing the thoughts of various scholars on the giants of the past. My three favorites, as I think we have discussed sort of, are Nietzsche, Heidegger and Wittgenstein (in no particular order). As of late though I have been questioning wether or not Wittgenstein was right or not, or at least I have come to question Investigations more than previously (largely based on a conversation we had a while ago). I haven't picked up any hard reading though in a while. I considered responding to the Kant v. Metaphysics thread, but I really don't have much to say (at least not at the moment, if inspiration to write should strike I'll certainly post, but nothing comes to the mind at the moment). I have read most of what Nietzsche wrote, but I will most likely -next- pick up Heidegger's later writings (after his anti-humanistic turn). While I recognize that none of my "three" jive well with one another, they are interesting to consider and mull over. Intellectual masturbation, as it were. One of the benefits of reading for pleasure is that I do it for pleasure though, and if it weren't pleasurable I'd put it down (as I have with most of Kant).
Tsar of DDO
Clash
Posts: 220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 9:31:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/17/2012 1:43:44 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 6/16/2012 4:00:47 PM, Clash wrote:
I have read a little bit about philosophy of religion and ethics (Just on some online philosophy sites). Have also read some works of some Muslim philosophers like Al-Ghazali and Avicenna. Very interesting, especially Avicenna and his works. I don't read anything about philosophy know. Really, I just think it's a waste of time. Most of it is just opinions and can't really be proven. It's interesting however, but really not something I would take seriously or something

In The Revival Of The Religious Sciences Ghazali defines the woman's role:
- She should stay at home and get on with her spinning
- She can go out only in emergencies.
- She must not be well-informed nor must she be communicative with her neighbors and only visit them when absolutely necessary.
- She should take care of her husband and respect him in his presence and his absence and seek to satisfy him in everything.
- She must not leave her house without his permission and if given his permission she must leave secretly.
- She should put on old clothes and take deserted streets and alleys, avoid markets, and make sure that a stranger does not hear her voice, her footsteps, smell her or recognize her.
- She must not speak to a friend of her husband even in need.
- Her sole worry should be her "al bud" (reproductive organs) her home as well as her prayers and her fast (starvation for Allah).
- If a friend of her husband calls when her husband is absent she must not open the door nor reply to him in order to safeguard her "al bud".
- She should accept what her husband gives her as sufficient sexual needs at any moment.
- She should be clean and ready to satisfy her husband's sexual needs at any moment.
The great theologian then warns all men to be careful of women for their "guile is immense and their mischief is noxious; they are immoral and mean spirited".
Like a true Muslim cleric Ghazali states "It is a fact that all the trials, misfortunes and woes which befall men come from women".
In his Book of Counsel for Kings, Ghazali sums up all that a woman has to endure because of Eve's misbehavior in the Garden of Eden:
"When Eve ate fruit which He had forbidden to her from the tree in Paradise, the Lord, be He praised, cursed women with eighteen punishments:
-menstruation;
- childbirth;
- separation from mother and father and marriage to a stranger;
- pregnancy;
- not having control over her own person;
- a lesser share in inheritance; (one half of the male as per the Quran)
- her liability to be divorced and inability to divorce;
- its being lawful for men to have four wives, but for a woman to have only one husband;
- the fact that she must stay secluded in the house;
- the fact that she must keep her head covered inside the house;
- the fact that two women's testimony has to be set against the testimony of one man;
- the fact that she must not go out of the house unless accompanied by a near relative;
- the fact that men take part in Friday and feast day prayers and funerals while women do not;
- disqualification for ruler ship and judgeship;
- the fact that merit has one thousand components, only one of which is attributable to women, while 999 are attributable to men;
- the fact that if women are profligate they will be given twice as much torment as the rest of the community at the Resurrection Day;
- the fact that if their husbands die they must observe a waiting period of four months and ten days before remarrying;
The idea that a woman's sole purpose and "... duty is to stay at home to satisfy the sexual appetite of her husband" is again summed up in Ghazali's Proof Of Islam. Ghazali is still so highly revered amongst the majority of Muslim clerics that that he is called "proof of Islam".

http://www.google.no...
Aayu
Posts: 65
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 9:47:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 12:28:10 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool:
Is anybody currently studying or reading philosophy?

I'm sure there would be many.

Who?

Data incomputable <Bad command or sound name> :P

Which Philosopher or Philosophy in general?

Me, I'm just jumping into political philosophy. I don't have a very good book, so it's kind of hard. But I'm trying, mostly because the concepts are so interesting. I think once I wade through the book, I'll find a lot more interesting books.

I've done Plato, Aristotle, Marx and Mahatma Gandhi.

Is it intresting or boring?

Eh, I'm ambiguous. If I had a better book, it'd be interesting. But still the concepts are interesting, I just have to google a lot :/

Do you like the philosopher?

Yes. Except Gandhi. And Aristotle. Actually I don't like any of them, theere philosophies are interesting though.