Jump to topic:

Can all humans predict the future?

cheesedingo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2012 2:42:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Humans, to a certain degree, can see the future. I know alot of you will think i'm crazy, but I experimented this. Humans can see the future, or predict what will happen, based on past events. I held a conversation with my brother, I was able to predict some of the things he would say, how he would act, what faces he would make, and his emotions. This is because I have known my brother all the years of his life, and I know the way he acts and the way he is. Is this, to a certain extent, predicting the future? Basing the future off of what has happened in the past?
Discussion, please.
My name is Cheesedingo1. I am a dingo. Made of cheese. My favorite number is one. BOOM.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2012 2:46:12 PM
Well, the human mind looks for patterns and usually sticks to patterns itself. You can't predict that something completely random like you getting hit by a car in thirty years though, because that is a completely baseless event.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
cheesedingo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2012 2:47:26 PM
At 6/18/2012 2:46:12 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Well, the human mind looks for patterns and usually sticks to patterns itself. You can't predict that something completely random like you getting hit by a car in thirty years though, because that is a completely baseless event.

True, but humans can still correctly predict the future, based off past events, correct?
My name is Cheesedingo1. I am a dingo. Made of cheese. My favorite number is one. BOOM.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2012 2:49:21 PM
At 6/18/2012 2:47:26 PM, cheesedingo1 wrote:
At 6/18/2012 2:46:12 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

True, but humans can still correctly predict the future, based off past events, correct?

What timespan are you talking about?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2012 4:29:50 PM
I've actually been thinking about the principle of causation and the future. If we live in a world of cause and affect than for a given action there will be a chain of inevitable events. If we were to somehow gain the knowledge of the consequence of actions(mind you that would be almost impossible), than we would be able to fortell some future events.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2012 4:38:24 PM
At 6/18/2012 4:29:50 PM, phantom wrote:
I've actually been thinking about the principle of causation and the future. If we live in a world of cause and affect than for a given action there will be a chain of inevitable events. If we were to somehow gain the knowledge of the consequence of actions(mind you that would be almost impossible), than we would be able to fortell some future events.

That's pretty much Laplace's demon. However, quantum indeterminism pokes a hole in it. I personally think that indeterminism will eventually be disproven, but until then, we can't assume that the future is completely set.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2012 5:29:39 PM
At 6/18/2012 4:38:24 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/18/2012 4:29:50 PM, phantom wrote:

That's pretty much Laplace's demon. However, quantum indeterminism pokes a hole in it. I personally think that indeterminism will eventually be disproven, but until then, we can't assume that the future is completely set.

The Fool: , quantum indeterminism pokes a whole, IS a recognition/reality fallacy. that is sense information is what we Recognize, not necessary what IS.
Don't mistake the tools we use for quantum physics as the reality beyond the tool we are using to investigate. Maybe its time for a better tool.

Our minds extrapolate logical and mathmatical rules on to incoming sense information, you may call it formulization/conceptualizaiton. WHen information is not formulized, it appears as random. What is random is not predictable and thus technechly is not knowledge. We Humans can predict, because we inherent are replication the scientific method. More properly the scientic method is simply using natural intuitive method of learning. (expect scientist to know that)
we take sets of experiance, and synthisize then into a which give us and intuitional natural curves/normal curve, then we base our decision on this curve.
The more we have learned the more accurate this curve will reflect reality thus increasing our predicting Power. THus our ablity to make better/accurate decisions.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL