Jump to topic:

Civic Republicanism v. Communitarianism

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 6:31:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have not done much in-depth research on either of these philosophies, but I will be studying civic republicanism soon. According to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, the two ideas are very similar, yet they lie on opposite ends of the political spectrum. Why is Civic Republicanism fundamentally progressive (I understand why it is) while Communitarianism is conservative if they have very similar premises?
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 7:23:35 AM
At 6/20/2012 6:31:38 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I have not done much in-depth research on either of these philosophies, but I will be studying civic republicanism soon. According to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, the two ideas are very similar, yet they lie on opposite ends of the political spectrum. Why is Civic Republicanism fundamentally progressive (I understand why it is) while Communitarianism is conservative if they have very similar premises?

The Fool: sounds like a job for the political section.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2012 7:30:55 AM
At 6/20/2012 7:23:35 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 6/20/2012 6:31:38 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

The Fool: sounds like a job for the political section.

These are both political philosophies.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2012 1:46:09 AM
People are schizophrenic with their politics that's why.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2012 1:53:52 AM
Because the ideology of what conservatism is in America is different to the rest of the world. That's why.

David Cameron, if people knew all of his policies, would be seen as a communist in America. Everywhere else realises he's a conservative.

A component of conservatism is small communities, not big ones. Communitarianism is more commonly stated as radical centrist though, but I'd rather just classify it as a variant of Thatcherite conservatism, an equivalent of Reagan's politics, or paleoconservatism. Civic Republicanism is an Americanisation of Machiavellian politics. It's still right wing, but it has splits: in America, it is a big government republican ideology (very, very roughly) but in the international field, it's (again very very roughly) Disraeli politics: One Nation Conservatism.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2012 1:54:47 AM
I say One Nation Conservatism rather than liberal conservatism b/c I don't want to explain political history and divides over the internet.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2012 1:12:23 PM
Civic Republicanism advocates for positive rights and supports progressive ideas like equal rights for women and children and gay marriage. I don't think it's conservative.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2012 4:40:22 PM
At 6/21/2012 1:12:23 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Civic Republicanism advocates for positive rights and supports progressive ideas like equal rights for women and children and gay marriage. I don't think it's conservative.

Equal Rights for women is only conservative 200 years ago, equal rights for children longer ago than that, and gay marriage, well... David Cameron, well known Conservative (One Nation Tory as well, most similar to Civic Republicanism) is pro-gay marriage. Angela Merkel: Pro gay marriage. I can go on.

Again, there's a difference between how the world defines right-wing and how America defines right-wing.

The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 5:18:07 AM
The Fool: in canada we are thinking of just Dropping the notion of political Ideologies in that not body is fully left or right. Even to thing in the truth of such notions is dangerious. It causes the sense that there is such real existence. aka I child come into a world grows up and heres this langauge and thinks because we have these words, they must be represent the existence(more then an idea) of something, then feel they have to be one or the other. Where it is most rational to deal with each individual topic as its own, based from the existing conditions at hand. Not with a prejudice of an ideology already conditioned in us of the direction we will take on a topic, before we even know what the topic is. Its like viewing something glasses through lenses that are made only to see certain aspect. Fundementalism Blinds us in way so we don't even realize when its hurting us.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL